shape
carat
color
clarity

Reset From White Gold to Yellow Gold Halo?

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Does anyone have a yellow gold halo as their E-ring or switched from white to yellow gold halo?
Its been at the back of my mind for quite some time (as well as a mini split shank...) and was wondering about thoughts on your switch. Im afraid to pull the trigger because i'm not sure if I like it because its a trend or because it's me. They are surely beautiful and I am on the warmer side so I tend to look better in warm colors but I also don't want my stone to appear warmer from the reflection. Any thoughts or hand shots are appreciated!

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have read that the yellow setting bleeds into the diamond(s) and makes the diamond look dull.
Have you seen this in person before pulling the trigger?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are many threads with all sorts of yellow gold and diamond jewelry. I don't think YG makes a diamond look dull at all, but that's my opinion. I all color metals and sometimes think my higher color diamonds look even whiter in yellow gold. I think it's personal and your own perception.

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have read that the yellow setting bleeds into the diamond(s) and makes the diamond look dull.
Have you seen this in person before pulling the trigger?

I haven't seen it in person but if there is a chance of bleeding whether it all the time or not, i don't really want to go through with it. I seem to get mixed opinions from jewelers. JA told me i'm better off putting the stone ina yg setting because I'll notice the warmth compared to white gold but DK told me that it's best to put it into a white gold mounting so it can reflect off the struts. I've thought about getting yellow gold shank with a white gold head but I seem to have to pay a premium to do that and I'd prefer it if I could just make my mind up lol Thank you for your help :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can have the stone in a plaltium bezel or prongs and the halo part and shank yellow if you want. But I will tell you that a white metal halo ring is going to stand the test of time better than yg which will go out of style. If you don't mind resetting multiple times, there's no reason not to do it.

Can you show us a picture of the style setting you like?

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Can you show us a picture of the style setting you like?[/QUOTE]

I've actually been very attracted to yellow gold and rose gold bezels on white stones but here's one that captured my heart years back
yellowyellow.jpg

Although I'm starting to wonder if I like it so much because the stone matches the setting. I have trouble finding a white stone set in a yg stone that I like as much as this one.

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had an M and set it In rose and then white before finally yellow. It looked best in yellow, and did appear more white In the yellow gold, but that’s an M. I personally think yellow gold is stunning with any stone but I do love it with a tinted stone like the above picture, I will be saving that one!

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I had an M and set it In rose and then white before finally yellow. It looked best in yellow, and did appear more white In the yellow gold, but that’s an M. I personally think yellow gold is stunning with any stone but I do love it with a tinted stone like the above picture, I will be saving that one!

Thank you for your insightful reply. Did you at any point change the shape of the halo?
Im torn between a round or a cusion shape. My stone is round and my current ring is a round halo.
thanks!

secretagentlaura

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This thread is from 2014, but I've remembered it because the halo in yellow gold is beautiful: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vatche-grace-in-yellow-gold.203731/

Something to consider with halo settings is how much metal to do you like to see - some are designed to minimize it so you'd see a hint of the yellow gold in the prong and halo area, and some settings will use it as a design element, like bezels or milgrain, where you'd see more of the metal. That latter is my preference, actually, because with yellow gold, I think that the halo glows a little like the sun.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I disagree that a platinum halo is any more timeless than a yellow gold halo. Halos in general are trendy - VERY trendy. It’s going to go out of style.
However I wouldn’t live my life based on the fact my setting might go out of style in 5 years. Especially if you’ve wanted it for some time.

Setting a diamond in yellow gold doesn’t make it look dull. In my experience it creates a negligible difference in color

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...59-transition-in-vintage-yg-solitaire.231246/F

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What color is your diamond?

Hi LaylaR, it is a J. (gia) I'm not too worried about the tint showing up in white, I just don't want it to look worse in a yellow.

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I disagree that a platinum halo is any more timeless than a yellow gold halo. Halos in general are trendy - VERY trendy. It’s going to go out of style.
However I wouldn’t live my life based on the fact my setting might go out of style in 5 years. Especially if you’ve wanted it for some time.
Setting a diamond in yellow gold doesn’t make it look dull. In my experience it creates a negligible difference in color

that's a big relief. I was worried about the prongs adding more warmth to my J. Good to know that I can rule that out while searching :)

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Geez @LaylaR that video needs to come with a warning! Like “Warning hypnotic images, view at your own risk!” There may even be a subliminal message in the audio singing like angels...“you need this”. I may never recover! :geek2:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ +1
:love:

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If you look at the halo in my AV, the diamond is an H and the halo is rose gold, and the diamond was white had no tint at all in that setting. As long as your diamond is well cut you should be fine. You CAN do a platinum bezel as suggested, but you can also do prongs as long as the diamond is set right. What the ring in my AV is set the diamond so that the girdle is right at and slightly above the halo and the halo is angled away from the center stone slightly. You can see it in the video: **vendors cannot post videos or photos per the policies**
Make the video large and then focus on where the girdle is in relation to the halo when the ring is in profile. In real life, it's a detail you won't even notice, but it makes sure that the diamond is able to gather all the light it needs from the environment and the metal color on the halo really has very little to with it.

I'm definitely going to heed your advice and have the stone's girlde set slightly above the halo, brilliant! So glad to know it has little to do with the color of the metal in this particular situation. Do you think I should order a slightly smaller halo or is that all prong work? Thanks again. Your ring is a stunner!

Last edited by a moderator:

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
You are welcome McGinnis. It is not my ring (I wish), it is a project I worked on.

To answer your question about the size of the halo: I recommend you work with someone who will make the halo specifically for your diamond, who gives you a CAD (computer rendering) of your stone in the halo, and who you tell specifically how to set the diamond (link them to the video if you want).

There are a number of vendors that do customized halos at a variety of price points.

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
You are welcome McGinnis. It is not my ring (I wish), it is a project I worked on.

To answer your question about the size of the halo: I recommend you work with someone who will make the halo specifically for your diamond, who gives you a CAD (computer rendering) of your stone in the halo, and who you tell specifically how to set the diamond (link them to the video if you want).

There are a number of vendors that do customized halos at a variety of price points.

I've messaged DK recently but got a price point that I can't afford at the moment. I might just wait or go with a simpler mounting, maybe without side stones and no split shank. *sigh* Compromises.
Anywho, i'm just really glad about the whole color situation. thanks again. Btw, that is one tight fitting cushion around a round stone. (in the video) Goals.

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock
I've messaged DK recently but got a price point that I can't afford at the moment. I might just wait or go with a simpler mounting, maybe without side stones and no split shank. *sigh* Compromises.
Anywho, i'm just really glad about the whole color situation. thanks again. Btw, that is one tight fitting cushion around a round stone. (in the video) Goals.
Did you end up deciding on a halo? I’m looking at a reset and have been looking at yellow gold halos.

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Did you end up deciding on a halo? I’m looking at a reset and have been looking at yellow gold halos.
Actually, i'm between a halo and a tapered baguette setting. When I had my previous halo with a smaller stone, I found that I didn't wear it as much because it was very blingy. (I've moved to a conservative smaller town with southern roots) So I'm very much open to something that won't increase the size of my center stone, imagine that. Less finger coverage goes against my beliefs but I don't like giving people another reason to judge me around here. A halo is definitely in the future but i'm leaning slightly towards the tapered baguette currently. Btw, JA is having their 25% right now. Maybe nows the time to do it! Unless you're going custom :twisted2:

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock
Actually, i'm between a halo and a tapered baguette setting. When I had my previous halo with a smaller stone, I found that I didn't wear it as much because it was very blingy. (I've moved to a conservative smaller town with southern roots) So I'm very much open to something that won't increase the size of my center stone, imagine that. Less finger coverage goes against my beliefs but I don't like giving people another reason to judge me around here. A halo is definitely in the future but i'm leaning slightly towards the tapered baguette currently. Btw, JA is having their 25% right now. Maybe nows the time to do it! Unless you're going custom :twisted2:

I love the tapered baguette! It’s one I always come back to when I’m thinking of resets. I go back and forth on a lot with this. I have to redo part of my ER do to prong damage by my shared prong band and then wouldn’t be able to wear that again because it would just re-damage it— so I’m just debating doing something totally different. I saw the 25% off at JA and that’s kind of what got my head spinning. I love the cushion shaped halo for a round. Most on PS are encouraging me to reach out to see about custom, and I’ll check it out, but I also don’t want to spend a ton and I really do love the look of the JA one.

Did you decide what metal to go with?

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The tapered baguette 3-stone setting is the most timeless diamond accented setting out there, IMHO. It looks amazing with a mixed cut band, a round eternity, or matching baguette band. It can be used in an insert guard ring too. I adore the style and it's classic lines!

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Did you decide what metal to go with?

I've decided to just go with white gold if I finally decided to do a stock tapered baguette setting.
If I am allowed to go custom, I'd probably do a yellow gold shank with white gold prongs.
I found an etsy vendor that does custom work with moissanite or forever one side stones. She does CAD work too (great reviews) Her initial message included a quote that was very attractive so I messaged back asking if she can tweak a few things like the angle of the basket so we'll see.
I'm partial to tapered baguettes with extreme angles so it might not work (her stock images have slight tapers) and I might just have to go with someone with a lot more experience.
It just so hard to find moissy tapered baguettes with a nice ratio.

Are you any closer to a decision? I'd love to hear what your plans are

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock
I've decided to just go with white gold if I finally decided to do a stock tapered baguette setting.
If I am allowed to go custom, I'd probably do a yellow gold shank with white gold prongs.
I found an etsy vendor that does custom work with moissanite or forever one side stones. She does CAD work too (great reviews) Her initial message included a quote that was very attractive so I messaged back asking if she can tweak a few things like the angle of the basket so we'll see.
I'm partial to tapered baguettes with extreme angles so it might not work (her stock images have slight tapers) and I might just have to go with someone with a lot more experience.
It just so hard to find moissy tapered baguettes with a nice ratio.

Are you any closer to a decision? I'd love to hear what your plans are

That sounds promising! I’d love to check out her stuff. I think the JA sale is over so it gives me time to think about it until the next sale— and I guess check out custom. I’m a classic over thinker and and indecisive— but also not a perfectionist. Biggest priorities are budget and something I like— but it doesn’t need to be the be all, end all setting.

I love yellow gold and find that the jewelry i have purchased in the last 7 years has all been YG. I have a 1ct diamond pendant in white gold that I never wear because I always opt for by tiny gold single DBTY necklace because I prefer the YG. When I see ER in yellow gold it catches my eye so much more. All that being said, I’m still having a hard time committing myself to YG for an ER because I’m worried it’s not “as classic” but then again, neither is a halo — so I don’t know!

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
How is yellow gold not “classic” ? to me there is nothing more classic than a yellow gold
Solitaire or plain band especially a man’s wedding band. Just because it’s a halo ?

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
I love yellow gold and as you know am kind of having the same dilemma as you, though your lovely stone is a much higher colour grade.

Jewellers have told me conflicting things also. One said set in yellow gold because of “negative refraction” which will make the stone look whiter.

One said set in yellow gold so there is less contrast wih the tint in the stone and the metal. That if it was set in white or platinum the contrast would make the stone appear more yellow.

One said set in yellow if you want to warm the stone up, set in white if you want to cool it down.

Another said it depends on the individual diamond and that they all behave differently in different coloured settings.

I love the baguettes

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, I can't help but wonder if the conflicted opinions on how diamonds look in white metal vs. yellow gold has as much to do with the physiology of our individual eyes as it does the effect of these combinations. Thinking back to that 'is it a blue dress or a gold dress' thing!

banjodeb

Rough_Rock
B1F8CED2-5ACB-4BDA-8DCB-633EB774E1CB.jpeg I am a lurker that has never posted. Here is my yellow gold halo.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results