shape
carat
color
clarity

Reset etiquette???

WonderWoman711

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone! I have a family stone 2.2 D/SI1 round brilliant to use as my engagement ring. I’m in love with it, minus the current setting. My fiancé would like to design something, but is concerned about “dropping off” the priceless heirloom. Can anyone suggest proper etiquette when discussing this with the jeweler?
The stone is inscribed and certified, with documentation. We recognize the professionalism within the business and don’t want to offend anyone. And not to be cynical, but aside from requesting to view the inscription through a loupe (which also seems offensive honestly), how do you suggest we/he go about this??
We really just want it set in a simple classic 6 prong solitaire Tiffany setting. I may be incredibly naive, but can this be done “quickly” while he waits??
Thank you all so much in advance!!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First things first. IS the diamond insured? That will be your first step as many jewelers won’t risk damaging a diamond that they themselves did not provide, especially for a setting purchase only.
Second. A good jeweler will not be offended and will be more than happy to loupe your stone before you takeit. It assures him that he is giving it back to you in like condition.

WonderWoman711

Rough_Rock
Yes, the ring is insured. Thank you so much for your prompt reply!! It’s reassuring to hear this. We live in a small town, and I’m a bit hesitant in terms of using local jewelers. We recently moved to this area, and have gotten several recommendations. I guess we just have to meet with them and go from there.
Again, I appreciate your kindness!! Thank you!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you’re hesitant to use a local jeweller, you could post up your location and see who of the PS-recommended jewellers are close by.
A good jeweller should be happy to let you loupe your diamond to confirm it’s yours. I would also photograph it prior to dropping it off so you know what its inclusions and faceting looks like ahead of needing to verify it once set. (And show us the pics because we loooove looking at diamonds!)
Also switching diamonds is relatively uncommon - any well established business isn’t going to ruin its reputation and lose its customer base over a single stone if that’s any help in making you feel less worried?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it's a family stone, it may or may not be inscribed it it is older. But, in any case. Here's the rule. Every single time you hand over your ring or stone to anyone, you do the following.

Before you go, spend some time examining the diamond under magnification. 10x or better. Make a little map of the inclusions (rotate the stone to see from all angles). Get to know them. I name mine for memory sake (starfish, nebula cloud, mickey mouse).

1) At the stone, you and the intake person examine the stone under magnification (ideally, they will have a scope making this easier). You make a little drawing of your stone and inclusions (starfish, nebula cloud, lightening bolt). They make a drawing.
{in some stores, the intake person is a sales associate with no gemological training. Ask for the in-house gemologist}

2) they write on a receipt the details of the stone and the drawing. My grandmother had sketch space on her intake forms. You initial those details "2 carat round brilliant, girdle marked XYZ, chip on facet, see intake drawing; set in platinum setting with approx 1 carat round melee, engraved "to X from Y" "

3) Once you get the ring back, you reverse this. You both examine the stone and ring under magnification and before you walk out of the store you are 100% sure it is your stone and you are happy with any work conducted.

This is not rude or even a question of trust. By doing this, you and the jeweler are protected. If they fuss or seem offended, go elsewhere...to me...this is standard practice in the industry.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your stone is SI. Memorize the inclusions. I’m assuming you can see them from the side at least. I know exactly what my diamond looks like. I don’t need a scope to ID it.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@WonderWoman711 it is so wonderful that you have received a family stone to use as your engagement ring! Please post some pics if you can.

You have already received great advice. I personally always ask that the diamond inscription be visible and not covered by a prong. No respectable jeweler will take offence to that.

Also, I wanted to mention that Vatche U113 is probably the closest T&Co-inspired setting. I am not sure where you are located, but IDJ in NYC can source Vatche and set your stone. Other jewelers also have access to the brand.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Find the best jeweler for the best price who will work with you to make you happy with the finished result. Don't be in any hurry.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my experience, jewelers do not usually set stones while you wait. However, you cant ask and see what they say.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results