shape
carat
color
clarity

Reset diamond studs from 4 prong to 8 prong?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a pair of 2.2 ct diamond studs in four prong baskets. Because my holes are so low I have this obsession with making sure the prongs are aligned in *just* the right way or I feel like the earrings are going below the bottom of my earlobe. I wonder if having them reset in 8 prong baskets would be better -- opinions please!

Whiteflash has an 8 prong setting that I love, but does anyone know if they would sell me just the settings (i.e., send them my earrings as-is and have them reset the stones in the new settings)? Also, do you think the 8 prong setting would make the stones look smaller?

8 prong.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought three prong martini settings from WF for my diamond earrings. They sent the mountings to me and I had them set locally. Saves shipping two ways.

Just give them a call - I''m sure they will be glad to help you.

I don''t know if the eight prong will solve your problem - hopefully others will chime in! I had four prong and switched them to the martini setting. The droop is not anywhere as bad as it was with the four prong basket.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had my studs that were in a 4 prong setting set in a martini setting. Made all the difference in the world. No droop, what so ever. With stones that size I highly recommend you buy a pair of monster backs. They come in WG, YG etc... They help the earring to stand up and not face downward. The 8 prong is a lovely setting, but too much metal for me. I want to see the bling and that''s why I chose the martini setting. Good luck!!!
1.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGR and Kaleigh - thanks for the replies.

I did get the plastic disc backs, and that made all the difference in the world as far as the drooping factor goes, but I feel like if the prongs aren't aligned "perfectly" that the earrings look somehow odd on my lobes. I must (consciously or unconsciously) check on the prong placement of my earrings a hundred times a day, so I was thinking that if there were 8 of them they could never be in the "wrong" postion. I will have to think over the "more metal" factor though because I would hate to lose any bling.

By the way, I'm sure NO ONE on the planet has even considered the placement of the prongs on my earrings except me, so I feel like I should let this one go and find something more important to worry about (maybe upgrading the size of the side stones in my engagement ring would take my mind off these stupid prongs...)!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2006 11:24:29 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
I must (consciously or unconsciously) check on the prong placement of my earrings a hundred times a day, so I was thinking that if there were 8 of them they could never be in the 'wrong' postion.

I think the three prong martinis might accomplish the same thing you were trying to do with 8 ... meaning ... no "right" way to "be" PLUS more bling showing & no droop.

Not an earring gal myself though ... but mentally I get what you mean about the sym. issue & 4 prongs (would probably drive me crazy too ... I'm flipping my heart pendant over all the time & centering the clasp AIIGH. OCD anyone??

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
hi Dee Jay!
You have impeccable taste in jewelry! (and in Dogs! Did you decide about a sib for the demon dog? My demons are all curled up on the couch, very cute.)
Anyways, I''d try the martini. I''ve heard so many raves about it. I used to think the 3 prong thing would bug me (not being symmetrical) but I really like how more of the diamond shows instead of so much metal.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
DJ ... I tried on those 8 prong martinis and they are great..I posted pictures around here somewhere...they did not make the diamonds look small at all and the settings are dreamy. I''m dying for them once I get bigger earrings!!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gail - No sib for The Demon yet but my husband is now volunteering at the Anti Cruelty Society on weekends (a veiled attempt to find a brother/sister I think, but he says it''s just to do something "good" since I spend so much weekend time out with clients).

Mara - So glad to get feedback from someone who''s actually tried them. I will have to place a call to Whiteflash on Monday. The biggest size baskets they show on their website are for .75 each, but I hope they could produce some for the bigger stones.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the look of them. I would think they would make the stones look larger.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I love the look of that eight prong setting! Dee Jay please post pictures of them for us if you decide to get them. Hope they solve your problem.

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
I love that 8 prong setting so much! I promised no more major jewelery purchases until after the wedding, aside from our w-rings, but I am just dying to get a pair of studs in that setting.
30.gif

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t wait for ear shots. I would think the prongs would make the stone appear larger. I know six prongs do for some stones.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will try to get some ear shots of my current studs so you can all tell me if I'm crazy before I go down this road.

Will have to enlist the help of the happy hubby for the photos and it could take me a few days to get him to participate.

(He thinks we're all nuts--but he did finally tell me what setting to use to get good pics of my rings after he saw me standing out on our roof deck in the freezing cold last winter trying to snap photos of my upgrade, so maybe there's hope for him yet!)

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2006 12:35:08 AM
Author: Mara
DJ ... I tried on those 8 prong martinis and they are great..I posted pictures around here somewhere...they did not make the diamonds look small at all and the settings are dreamy. I''m dying for them once I get bigger earrings!!
I second this.....I also tried them on and LOVED the way they looked. The metal looks much more prominent in pictures than it does in real life.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like I should be a good PSer and finish the threads I start...

So I tried a pair of 8 prong studs on today at a local jewelry store. I visually liked the setting (it was very similar to the Whiteflash version, but a little more square where the metal would meet the ear) but it didn't knock my socks off compared the the 4 prong version I have right now. Oh well, considering I am so preoccupied with trying to find a new oval at the moment I guess the studs will stay as they are, at least for the time being.

Thanks to all of you for your feedback though, and I will probably revisit the studs again when the oval trauma/drama is over!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
suggestion: vwouldn''t it be easier, cheaper to get freshly placed holes? my friend just did this.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady K - I did briefly consider this but I have an aversion to PAIN. Did they completely numb her up or was it like getting your ears pierced the "regular" way?

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i had mine done too recently (extra holes). I had them done at age 42 at piercing pagoda (a zales kiosk) in the mall. It didn''t hurt my friend either and she was 62.

no it doesn''t hurt. thie noise of the machine thingie makes you jump, though.

have a (tequila/valium/legal whatever) before you go? take a friend to drive?

merle norman uses adults as staff members, not teenyboppers, if that bothers you.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
DeeJay have you tried the three prong martini studs? Wouldn''t they also solve the problem of not requiring a particular alignment on the ear???

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sundial, I tried those too a while ago and I didn't love them either. I think my problem is PRONGS in general. If I were in charge of the universe there would be no need for prongs unless someone wanted them for decorative purposes only! Stones would just magically adhere to whatever setting you chose and you would never have to worry about the prongs. Even on my rings I'm always looking at them and wondering if they're out of alignement or if they're too big or too small or "wrong" in some other way. I did consider the bezel-set route but I like the extra light that the the prong settings bring to the stone. Ug.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results