carat
color
clarity

Requesting prayers for my home threatened by the Australian bush fires

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Prayers continue.
I have been praying, but just realized I had not posted.

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
@mrs-b Your families and country are in my prayers. I pray that your beautiful little home is spared!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so glad to hear your home has been spared @mrs-b! The devastation in Australia hurts my heart. I hope the fires can be brought under control

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I’m so glad to hear your home has been spared @mrs-b! The devastation in Australia hurts my heart. I hope the fires can be brought under control

Good news is we're having massive dumps of rain in Victoria and Southern NSW that have helped to bring many fires under control. I don't think there is a single out of control blaze in Victoria at this moment.

Numeralla (where we did an emergency supply delivery) has been getting a lot of rain too, all crews have pulled back from the frontline.

While this is largely good news, the amount of rain is a concern. It's a heavy fall and there is cause for concern about run off containing soot and fire retardant potentially poisoning rivers.
Not everything is easy...

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Karl_K, @LinSF, @jordyonbass, @Daisys and Diamonds, @diamondseeker2006, @Phoenix and @foxinsox - I've really appreciated all the prayers and encouraging good thoughts on this thread.

The town where my house is, is scheduled for rain over the next couple of days - quite a lot of it! We're all hoping that this will put some fires right out and put some water in the springs and creeks around the area, which is normally quite fertile and filled with water features (as per the photos I posted on page 1 of this thread). This would be VERY helpful, given that Australia is now in the hottest part of the year. There is also a natural spring on my property which has historically provided water for many birds, frogs, and other small animals, so it would be wonderful to see that filled again. Fingers crossed!

One good thing came out of this, tho; we've decided to go home - as opposed to the endless conversations we've had for the last 10 years, all of which sound like "But where will we retire?? Sedona / Charlotte / Manhattan / Boston / London / Edinburgh etcetcetc) looks nice...." It won't be in the short term - we're planning a mid 2022 departure - but having lived away from home for 20 years now, 2022 seems just not that long. We'll put our house on the market in 2 years and head on back to Australia. I've been home only 3 times in the last 20 years, and not at all in the last 10. Having been in an air 'incident' in my 20's, I've always had a fear of flying. Also, every time I went home I was SO homesick, it was just plain tough. I'm planning a trip home next year, and that will be preparatory to moving home the following year, and it feels WONDERFUL. Just finally having a plan, as much as anything else. DH won't be retiring - that probably won't be for another 8 or 9 years or so - but finding a job for him shouldn't be difficult and we're hopeful that the company for which (very large, international company) he currently works will be amenable to the idea of transferring him.

And in the meantime, I need to finish up all my jewelry projects - because when I leave the US, I'm going to be done. Prices for jewelry in Australia are so much higher, it makes sense to get all the pieces I want before then. The next 2 years are going to be pretty jam packed and kinda fun.... :))

Last edited:

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting @mrs-b!! We seriously need to do lunch in 2 years :mrgreen:

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m late to this thread...I’m so happy that your home is safe. The stories on the news are so heartbreaking. So much devastation..

On a positive note, I look forward to your jewelry projects @mrs-b. =)2

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
very late to the thread, mrsb, so glad everything has worked out well for you. Positive vibes across the miles!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dandi - YES, we DO!! (seriously)

Thanks, @Weecam :)) I'm looking forward to the 'next wave'!

@jordyonbass - absolutely! I don't know if you realize you've sold me a bunch of number of opals over the last 6 months or so, but let's get the beers and pull out your gorgeous opals and I can shop and drink at the same time. My favorite way to spend time. :mrgreen:

And thank you so much @kipari - it's very kind of people to care. :wavey:

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey @mrs-b ! I'm so glad to hear that your home continues to remain safe. Let it rain, let it rain. I am excited for you with regard to your decision to head back in 2022!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh @mrs-b...I’m so happy your home is spared and you have received rain in the area. I just saw this post..so I started at the beginning. I was so worried until I read that you received the rain you needed and it’s looking positive for your home. I will definitely pray for continued rain. I’m so happy you will be able to go back to your lovely home by 2022... My heart has been hurting with all the devastation...and so sick about the animals...I hope it’s all over very soon..

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
well I am so glad things are improving, MrsB your poem made me cry it's lovely and I think it's wonderful Australians learn it in school..

NOW.. when I can visit! ;-) sending love your way lady, you are spectacular and lovely and USA's loss is the homeland's total gain. :kiss2:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@jordyonbass - absolutely! I don't know if you realize you've sold me a bunch of number of opals over the last 6 months or so, but let's get the beers and pull out your gorgeous opals and I can shop and drink at the same time. My favorite way to spend time. :mrgreen:

I wasn't aware! But that does sound like a bloody good idea to me; I'll bring the Opals and beer, you can bring the Esky with ice :bigsmile:

OliveFox

Rough_Rock
Trade
I remember this times. It was like a hell even for those who live far away from Australia.

OliveFox

Rough_Rock
Trade
I My brother moved from Chicago to Sydney. He’s always fascinated by Australia and always wanted to live there. After Trump became president, he decided that it is the right time to move there. He sold his house to purchase a place to live there. But after his wife and three kids reunited in Sydney, the Black Summer took place. Our family couldn’t do anything from far away but only pray for them. My mother was sending her prayers on https://prayrs.org/ daily and asked God to save them. Thankfully, everything was okay with my brother, and his family.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results