shape
carat
color
clarity

Requesting prayers for my home threatened by the Australian bush fires

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Altho I am an Australian currently living in Boston, I also own a home in a lovely town in the Blue Mountains in NSW, Australia. It was always my intention to go home and live in the house in the next 2-3 years. Currently, my best friend of many years lives there, tho she is currently visiting me in Boston. Consequently, the house is unoccupied at the moment, save for a house sitter who is there intermittently.

The fires have now reached within a mile of our house. Between the house and the fires is dry bushland, so there's a direct burn path to the house. The fire in that area is categorized as 'Out of Control' and winds have been forecast for now, blowing the fire in the direction of the house and all the other houses in that area. Altho the winds were forecast to hit a few hours ago, we can't get any recent updates, so we don't know if the winds came (we're assuming 'yes'), how far they've pushed the fires, or even if our house is still standing, tho we're assuming 'yes' on this one also, as neither my friend nor I have received texts or calls from anyone at home telling us otherwise.

I believe in prayer and I appreciate positive thoughts. It's only a house, I know. But currently it's my best friend's home, and it was to be my home in the not too distant future. Living overseas is more difficult than people often admit. I've dealt with it in large part by holding onto a clear picture of my future and a firm belief that I will one day return to Australia. This house is like my one small deposit on what I hope my future will be and represents my hand stretched out, clutching something solid and real, that will one day take me home. If it burns down, it will break my heart.

All prayers would be appreciated.

I'm posting some photos so, firstly, you can see my little cottage in the Blue Mountains. But I'm including various photos of the back yard so you can see how totally surrounded we are by trees and just how close the national park comes to our house. With the strong winds, we're at high risk from floating embers. Ugh - looking at these photos now, my little house seems so vulnerable - the trees - big, HUGE trees - completely surround us. Normally we love this and this is the area's charm; it's set in the middle of a national park / World Heritage area. But at times like this, it forms a genuine threat.

ETA I'm hoping we'll know more in the next 6 hours or so; we really need the winds to change.

20191020_090512.jpg

20191109_170353.jpg

20191110_180842.jpg

20191110_180647.jpg

20191107_192917.jpg

Attachments

• 20191109_170159.jpg
    20191109_170159.jpg
    447.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 20191110_180711.jpg
    20191110_180711.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no @mrs-b. I am so sorry and prayers to you and your BF that the house is spared. What a darling place.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thinking of you!

DK :eek-2:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no @mrs-b. I am so sorry and prayers to you and your BF that the house is spared. What a darling place.

@redwood66 - thanks so much, Red. It's so sweet, and very old. It's our intention to do a significant extension when we get home (out to one side, and then a second story over the whole), but there's a ton of land, so we have the space. So long as we're still standing, of course.... :(sad

Thank you, @dk168 - all thoughts gratefully accepted!

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Prayers to you @mrs-b the home is beautiful and I pray it stays untouched.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the view that's *normally* down the end of our street there:

blue mountains 2a.jpg

blue mountainsa.jpg

And this is what's down the hill from the house - about a 20 minute hike through the bush: Valley of the Waters, tho at the moment it's barely a trickle.

BM4a.jpg

BM6a.jpg

AV_

Ideal_Rock
It does not look like a place I would move out of ,((( May you never have to rebuild!

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my that's so scary! I hope your house is safe !

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The house is 102 years old, with original leadlight and stained glass windows. Beautiful original jarrah floors. If it were destroyed, it would be such a pity.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your home will be in my thoughts. I really hope it's spared.

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
It’s beautiful! My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Vera W

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Praying for God's hedge of protection around your beautiful home @mrs-b :pray:

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thinking of you, along with everyone else caught up in the devastation. I can’t imagine how bad you must feel: having the pull to go home, being so close, but not knowing if your home will be there tomorrow even.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry @mrs-b. Sending you bucketloads of good luck dust and keeping you and all those affected in my thoughts. Praying for everyone's safety.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats so terribly sad. Hoping your home comes through this ok! I honestly thought that was Metrowest at first....

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prayers for your beautiful home and all those in harm's way.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, @mrs-b this breaks my heart. I am sending positive vibes across the miles that the fire doesn't reach your beautiful little anchor x

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prayers and best wishes for the safety of your darling house!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will be praying for safety for your little spot of paradise @mrs-b.

The fires are... inconceivably devastating. So much beauty, so many vivid memories - eradicated in weeks, days, hours.

Please, please let us know how the winds turn! I have been watching footage and predictions on my computer for weeks - I know so many others also have.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh @mrs-b.
The fires are terrible on every level
so much loss
every single Australian creature, fireman, farmer, home owner- town, hamlet, village, country pub, city dwellers, everyone and everything is in my prayers
And our strange yellow sunsets remind me of it when i pull the curtains at night
I hope the fires don't touch your house Mrs B and i hope your home town, if its effected, recovers quickly

It is good your friend is safe with you right now and hopefully the house sitter is safe too

I pray for rain (not tropical cyclones though)

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prayer that your home is saved and that they are able to get these fires all contained, but even better completely out.
I am thankful that neither you nor your BF are home at the moment. I am so glad you're safe.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I echo the sentiments of others in this thread. I will pray for and send good thoughts to you.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prayers for your lovely home, for you and your BF. Also for every living creature in it’s path.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Wishing good luck with this.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending prayers and dust to you, your home and your BF @mrs-b. I don’t think there is person reading here who doesn’t understand your love for this home and its beautiful surroundings.

I’m glad your BF is safe and here with you.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The losses from these fires are really hard to comprehend and I certainly hope that your home is spared. I hope how soon this nightmare ends for the land, people and animals of Australia.

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prayers going up for all of you that need them. Hope your homes and the wildlife are saved.

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
My prayers are with you, @mrs-b ... we in Northern California are heartbroken for Australia's people, animals, homes, and land. Sending love to you all, and much strength for the days ahead.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope your home will be spared from the fire.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To one and all -

@redwood66, @dk168, @bling_dream19, @AV_, @Polabowla, @JPie, @RayRay, @Vera W, @lissyflo, @missy, @Arcadian, @Gussie, @Alex T, @pearlsngems, @yssie, @Daisys and Diamonds, @luv2sparkle, @AGBF, @Bonfire, @Demon, @Calliecake, @MissGotRocks, @derbygal, @Redwoods-hiker-girl, and @Dancing Fire -

Thank you so much for your kind wishes, thoughts and prayers.

It rained.

It's not a lot, but it was enough to slow the progress of the fire and to allow the fire fighters to get the fire more under control. The heavy winds also didn't eventuate as dramatically as forecast, and this morning there was mist. MIST! How wonderful is that!

So we're extremely grateful this evening that things didn't turn out as we had feared.

On the other hand, of course, we are one happy result in the midst of hundreds of thousands of tragedies. We've been weeping for the destruction of our homeland, and most of all for its precious flora and fauna. How we will recover simply defeats comprehension.

For all those who have donated - thank you. For all the Aussies on this board - my heart and that of my husband are with you every minute of every day. For everyone who looked beyond their own lives to care - bless you. <3

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results