shape
carat
color
clarity

Request rough assessment

Rhey1971

Rough_Rock
May I request anyone to provide a rough assessment of this gem? It's like diamond cut, pointed bottom, but lying on its side. I'm a bit inclined to suppose it's closer to being a demantoid garnet with weight of between 50 to 100 carats. There's also an assumption that this is emerald.

Emerald.jpg

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
May I request anyone to provide a rough assessment of this gem? It's like diamond cut, pointed bottom, but lying on its side. I'm a bit inclined to suppose it's closer to being a demantoid garnet with weight of between 50 to 100 carats. There's also an assumption that this is emerald.

Emerald.jpg
Where did you get it?

Where was it found?

What are the dimensions?

How much does it weigh?

Have you tested it?

Have you submitted it for appraisal by a registered and insured gemstone appraiser?

Who is saying it is an emerald?

For all we can tell from the one small picture you have posted, it could be a lump of coloured glass, so unless you're willing to submit it for appraisal/testing, no-one can confirm either way.

A 100ct emerald looks like this:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt6NAzSH7e8/

On that basis, and the fact that enormous lumps of gemstones are extremely rare, it appears unlikely to be Emerald.

EC8

Shiny_Rock
Dematoid garnets are also quite rare, could be grossularite (garnet); assuming it is a gem and not glass.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Sadly, to me, it does look exactly like a paperweight made of glass.

Unless youve submitted it to GIA or AGL and have received a report back saying its anything but......i really wouldnt get my hopes up!

Also that isnt really considered "rough"....especially if found in a river or lake or any other natural location. I think someone just threw their paperweight into the river.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cool looking paperweight

ps - rough is not faceted and polished, so that is not a "rough". Not sure where you found it or where you got it from... Rough usually has some matrix on it as well.

An emerald, demantoid, or tsavorite garnet of that size and clarity is basically unheard of (i.e. exceedingly rare with corresponding value). If anyone had even an inkling they possessed a gem of that type and quality, they would be getting it authenticated and graded (and we would be hearing about it on the news). They wouldn't be asking randos on an internet forum.

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, definitely not a demantoid. It shows no dispersion, is a different color, and the largest demantoid ever found was only 8ct or so.

arglthesheep

Rough_Rock
Trade
No its glass in my opinion.
Yeah, definitely not a demantoid. It shows no dispersion, is a different color, and the largest demantoid ever found was only 8ct or so.
No there are far larger pieces known. The Smithonian alone has at minimum 2 pieces over 10 ct.
https://geogallery.si.edu/10002932/andradite-var-demantoid
https://geogallery.si.edu/10002790/andradite-var-demantoid

The biggest found in russia was over 50 gr. (rough).

But you are fully right that pieces over 3 ct are thought to be very rare.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Um... if... it was a gem, it would weigh a lot more than just 50 to 100 carats. A couple of thousand more likely.
I’d say it’s just glass or man made something or other.
No natural gem that size is ever so perfectly and evenly intensely green Coloured and with flawless clarity.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results