shape
carat
color
clarity

Reputable Antique Dealers?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CharmCity

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. I have a mission for you!

My friend is looking to take the plunge and (finally) buy his girlfriend an engagement ring! He is looking for an antique or antique style.

I have had one good experience with Fay Cullen. Has anyone else purchased from an online store or seller personally? I''d hate to steer him wrong.

Thanks guys, I know if anyone can help you can!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi CC,

This place has had many very happy customers, you might check them out. You can search on here for reviews/pics.

http://www.singlestone.com/

And while I''m really glad to hear you had a good experience with FC, many on here have not. If you do a search, some threads will reveal this.

HTH!

CharmCity

Rough_Rock
Yes, I found pricescope while I was looking for reviews on her. I was nervous about ordering my ring based on some people''s experiences, but couldn''t find anything else that I liked as much.

That''s why I''m looking for alternatives to suggest to my friend.

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/9/2008 8:33:59 AM
Author:CharmCity
Hi everyone. I have a mission for you!

My friend is looking to take the plunge and (finally) buy his girlfriend an engagement ring! He is looking for an antique or antique style.

I have had one good experience with Fay Cullen. Has anyone else purchased from an online store or seller personally? I''d hate to steer him wrong.

Thanks guys, I know if anyone can help you can!

Hello CharmCity,

Ellen''s suggestion -- Single Stone -- is a good one. I''ve never bought anything from Ari but I''ve contacted him about several pieces and he''s prompt and courteous. He also has a B&M store so if your friend is anywhere near the LA area, he could visit.

I don''t know East Coast stores very well -- I live on the West Coast -- but if your friend is a West Coast person as well, Lang Antiques in San Francisco has a nice web site and a cute storefront in downtown SF. I think the prices reflect the cost of doing business in SF (they can be higher than other antique dealers'' prices). I have always enjoyed visiting with Barbra. She lets me pick up/play with museum-quality Georgian pieces. I can''t afford them but I can wear them for 10 minutes! Your friend may pick up some good ideas from this site... Their styles cover the spectrum -- from Georgian to contemporary.
http://www.langantiques.com

In SF, Dianne''s Old and New is a nice shop, too. I don''t remember their pricing. They sell a limited selection of items online.

If your friend is looking for antique reproduction work -- I really like Van Craeynest''s designs. The Van Craeynest website is rather limited, and you don''t get a good sense of their merchandise. The Clay Pot and the Tiny Jewelbox (DC) have some good photographs. Van Craeynest They do not sell through a website, but they are happy to generate quotes. There''s a thread in Show Me the Ring with VC customers and their purchases.

I also like Leon Mege, for a completely different look. I think Leon''s pieces are very classic, a little vintage but with an edge. Leon Mege

Your friend may also want to check out what a local jeweler can do for you. I had a local benchperson work on my ring and I thought he did a lovely job with the hand engraving.

Some here have enjoyed working with Erica Grace. I can''t remember their website but maybe another will chime in?

If another URL pops into my head, I''ll add, but I tried to only write about what I know. With the exception of Leon, whose work I only know from his website, I''ve had personal contact with all of the vendors listed above.

kimiko

LGK

Ideal_Rock
OldWorldDiamonds.com is a good one too. Not actual settings but loose antique stones- the owner, Adam, is very helpful and will tell you if he thinks a stone doesn''t perform as well as it should. They also own their stock so they can eyeball stuff over the phone for you. Fay Cullen virtual lists their stock. OWD has prices kinda all over the place, so definitely comparison shop! (Some reasonable, some cheap, some definitely overpriced.)

All the others are great suggestions too.

LostieLovesBling

Shiny_Rock
For my upgraded engagement ring and wedding band, I chose to work with jewelsbyericagrace.com and singlestone.com. I pick up my rings in about 10 days. So far, my experience has been wonderful with both parties and they have lovely things.
30.gif

CharmCity

Rough_Rock
Thanks, guys!

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/9/2008 1:46:58 PM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
OldWorldDiamonds.com is a good one too. Not actual settings but loose antique stones- the owner, Adam, is very helpful and will tell you if he thinks a stone doesn''t perform as well as it should. They also own their stock so they can eyeball stuff over the phone for you. Fay Cullen virtual lists their stock. OWD has prices kinda all over the place, so definitely comparison shop! (Some reasonable, some cheap, some definitely overpriced.)

All the others are great suggestions too.

OWD is great! Adam was very helpful when I emailed him for quotes/pictures. I wound up putting a hold on the project -- couldn''t make up my mind -- so didn''t buy from him. But LGK did and she had a great experience (as you can tell from her statement above).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results