shape
carat
color
clarity

Replacing the stolen ring: Thinking about ECs

S1C EM

Rough_Rock
Trade
So, now that we have a budget from the ring taken in the burglary last week, we're looking at options for replacement. We're not in a rush, but I'm still trying to gauge what direction we might want to go in. We have an appointment to meet with someone next Saturday at ASCOT Diamonds in Atlanta. Did a little searching for them on here and only found a thread from ten years ago where no one seemed to know much about them. That being said, they are the only diamond-specific jeweler in the area with perfect 5-star reviews. Their set-up is pretty interesting, too.

All that said, ECs have suddenly caught my eye. My wife, however, isn't really big on them. I'm wondering if I can sway her at all. When we first upgraded (her original stone was a 3/4ct marquise, which we still have), we decided on the round brilliant cut because of its timeless appeal. It offered the best performance, best measurements based on carat weight, and we knew it would never go out of style. Now, I'm thinking it might be good to take this opportunity to go in a new direction and forget about the ring that's gone and find something totally different. Question is, what? Princess, asscher, radiant, and cushion cuts are all out as they would all have smaller measurements compared to like-sized round stones. Emerald cuts, though, offer an elegant look with similar size appearance. Not to mention, we can get a larger stone for less than the RB cut and use some of the leftover funds on the setting or other projects we want to do.

So here's one I found yesterday that I kind of like and would like to get some opinions on:

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD09747835?refTab=DIAMONDS

This is just a start, but looks like a really good value. I know you would all like to see an ASET image, but does anyone know what BN's policy is for those and how many I can request? I saw earlier that JA seems to have a limit of three. I don't want to waste a request on this one if I can't convince my wife to consider the cut anyway.

Also, just saw the table size. Is that too large?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to correct something you said...Cushions face up smaller than a round of equal weight. But, at most price points under 20k, you can find similar spead at the same/similar price.

S1C EM

Rough_Rock
Trade
Elaborate. It sounds like you're actually agreeing with me, but I know you're not. :lol:

The face up you mention, I assume, means the size that you see when looking at your finger with the ring on it. That was what I was referring to. The stone we're replacing was a round, 1.26 with a 6.98x6.97 diameter. Main thing is we don't want it smaller than that one (in appearance).

Also, to update, she pretty much crossed the EC right off the list, no questions asked. Guess I'm not going to have any success there.o_O

EDIT: Check that, she's open to the shape, but didn't like the stone above. Fishing for more detail on what she "didn't like".....

Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you say you want a round or cushion of 7 mm and have X dollars, you can find both for that price. If you say you want a 1.26 ct/weight stone, the cushion will face up smaller at that weight.

S1C EM

Rough_Rock
Trade
If you say you want a round or cushion of 7 mm and have X dollars, you can find both for that price. If you say you want a 1.26 ct/weight stone, the cushion will face up smaller at that weight.

I see. Well, carat weight not being a huge deal, I'd say it needs to be 7.00mmx7.00(ish)mm.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
#3. HCA: 1.5
https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

Should be a high contender for your round choices. l wouldn’t consider anything until you’ve seen a video, ASET/IS/H&A, etc of these diamonds (1 & 2, esp).
They all have the great spread you’re looking for...
An important note: shape is not the same as cut. If your wife is open to the shape, but hesitant on the cut of an EC, look at radiant cut stones...rectangular in l x w ratio, and see if she fancies any of those; going from a MRB to a step cut is kind of a big difference. They’re nothing alike, and a certain preference/acquired taste.

S1C EM

Rough_Rock
Trade
#3. HCA: 1.5
https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

Should be a high contender for your round choices. l wouldn’t consider anything until you’ve seen a video, ASET/IS/H&A, etc of these diamonds (1 & 2, esp).
They all have the great spread you’re looking for...
An important note: shape is not the same as cut. If your wife is open to the shape, but hesitant on the cut of an EC, look at radiant cut stones...rectangular in l x w ratio, and see if she fancies any of those; going from a MRB to a step cut is kind of a big difference. They’re nothing alike, and a certain preference/acquired taste.

Good info! Out of curiosity, how do you get BN to send an ASET/IS? They told me they could not.o_O

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good info! Out of curiosity, how do you get BN to send an ASET/IS? They told me they could not.o_O

You may have to purchase the stone, and examine it on your own. They SHOULD be able to provide you with more than a sample photo of a diamond they are offering to sell online. If not, you would have to take the risk on your own, depending on their return policy. If you’re not able to have it sent to you for further evaluation, and they are unable to acquiesce to your request, it would be wise to pass on those you cannot examine further to confirm they meet your criterion.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another alternative to the MRB, is the oval cut. Jon at August Vintage has created new ovals without the bow tie effect. It’s an elongated round with its own set of faceting patterns that set it apart from other fancy diamonds. Just another idea that pulls away from the MRB, but is still along the same realm; brilliant, and faces up large....
https://www.augustvintageinc.net/

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All that said, ECs have suddenly caught my eye. My wife, however, isn't really big on them. I'm wondering if I can sway her at all. When we first upgraded (her original stone was a 3/4ct marquise, which we still have), we decided on the round brilliant cut because of its timeless appeal. It offered the best performance, best measurements based on carat weight, and we knew it would never go out of style. Now, I'm thinking it might be good to take this opportunity to go in a new direction and forget about the ring that's gone and find something totally different. Question is, what? Princess, asscher, radiant, and cushion cuts are all out as they would all have smaller measurements compared to like-sized round stones. Emerald cuts, though, offer an elegant look with similar size appearance. Not to mention, we can get a larger stone for less than the RB cut and use some of the leftover funds on the setting or other projects we want to do.

Instead of trying to persuade your wife to like something she's doesn't, how about just getting her the shape she wants? ...since she's the intended wearer of the ring and all. ;-)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say check out the octavia for a mix of MRB performance and step-cut shape, but 7mm would mean 2ct!

Check out gemconcepts.net for some different cuts - it's good to know all the options :)

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
Yep, EC lovers are a unique subset of the crowd. Ya either love em or hate em usually. I love em. But, if she doesnt love them, you have an uphill battle to get her on board.
Ask her to look for pics of rings she would love to have, maybe using a pinterest board. Soon she'll begin to see a pattern and will be able to tell you what she loves.

S1C EM

Rough_Rock
Trade
Instead of trying to persuade your wife to like something she's doesn't, how about just getting her the shape she wants? ...since she's the intended wearer of the ring and all. ;-)

Ha......no worries, sh'es getting whatever SHE wants. I just want her to make an informed decision and not go with something just because it's what she had before. My guess is, she goes back with the round. Once upon a time, she liked the princess cut a lot, but that changed as we looked at stones and started seeing a pattern where similar carat weights and price points yielded more observable size on the rounds.

Rest assured, I'm not buying what I like...;-)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha......no worries, sh'es getting whatever SHE wants. I just want her to make an informed decision and not go with something just because it's what she had before. My guess is, she goes back with the round. Once upon a time, she liked the princess cut a lot, but that changed as we looked at stones and started seeing a pattern where similar carat weights and price points yielded more observable size on the rounds.

Rest assured, I'm not buying what I like...;-)

It's great that you want her to be informed... I get that, and I think it's very important for such an expensive purchase -- but please remember that her preference for shape has nothing to do with being informed about what makes a diamond beautiful. :) Nothing wrong with going with round (or any other shape, if that's what she desires)... It sounds like you want her to have the largest shape for the money, and there's nothing wrong with that either -- as longs as it's in the shape she prefers. ;-) Happy hunting!!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

S1C EM

Rough_Rock
Trade
Does that look a bit like one of the 'criss cut' stones that one can find sometimes?

Is it a step-cut pavilion with a kind-of Rose Cut crown??

Unfortunately, I doubt that would appeal to her. I will show her, though. I wish it were in a different setting as I don't think that one does much justice to the stone itself.

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
Does that look a bit like one of the 'criss cut' stones that one can find sometimes?

Is it a step-cut pavilion with a kind-of Rose Cut crown??
The crown has more facets, and a diamond shape table, and I think it sits atop what would otherwise be an EC. Seems more reminiscent of a french cut, than a rose cut. I've only seen a few online and haven't seen one in person. But man, I bet its a showstopper.:-o :geek2::kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results