shape
carat
color
clarity

Replace sapphire in ring?

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello! I spend so much time reading the wonderful advice given on this board and am now looking for some of my own.

My husband picked up for me a second hand sapphire and diamond trilogy ring. The sapphire is not very good and is very dark (although I do prefer darker stones to lighter stones for sure). I’ve worn it for a few years and love the proportions, setting and diamonds but want a lighter sapphire stone.

I’ve looked at stones on the websites of many preferred vendors. Drool! What’s the easiest way to get the sapphire replaced? I am a newbie and am not looking for heirloom quality, just a nice looking stone. I’m not concerned about the technical specifications as long as it looks pretty. Sometimes I wear this as an engagement ring and sometimes as a RHR.

Suggestions of vendors where I could ship my ring, they’d point me to stones that would fit in the setting, and have them set it? And for a reasonable price? Is that even a thing? I would stress about ordering the right size to fit the setting, etc. if I ordered a loose stone and then had to get it set.

Pics just to share size. I was told the sapphire was round about two carats (ring size 4.5) but haven’t measured in millimeters. Both pictures are terrible. It’s a decent size stone but not looking to spend thousands. All reasons I want a professional to work with on this.

Thanks for another advice you may care to share!

6750529C-DFE6-4B45-B3BE-3EF48FA7E283.jpeg D6FEDC68-FE80-4B3E-8105-593AFF17437C.jpeg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go to your local jeweller to get the stone measured. You’ll want to know the dimensions in mm for length and width. Then we can estimate the carat weight and what it might cost. From there, you can decide whether you are willing to spend that much.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks @chrono. I’ll do that and report back.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m guessing it’s an 8 x 6 mm oval.
There’s a heap of vendors online who PSers can recommend for your replacement sapphire and a heap of different shades / tones for you to consider.
Unless you have a jeweller who can and will “call in gems” for you to look at, you’ll probably need to shop online, there just isn’t going to be a heap of sapphire anywhere just sitting in the showcase for you to chose from.
An unset gem always looks a bit brighter and lighter than it will when set. So keep that in mind. Most online vendors have a return policy so if after you get to see the gem in person it’s not what you like, you can return it. And any decent bench jeweller (someone who has a proper workshop not just a mall type retail jeweller) can easily set a new gem. You may need a new head (that’s the prongs bit) but that’s no drama, just a bit of an added expense.
Have fun looking.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Bron357 - this is incredibly helpful information. Thank you!!!

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So the stone does measure 8 x 6. I looked at some PS recommended vendors but only a few have calibrated stones (at least the ones I saw). Can something a tad smaller or larger fit? Is this too short? https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-11-1274

On a related note, I’m traveling to San Diego for work this week and it seems like I’ll be a 12 minute walk from Gemfix. If the above stone might work, I’ll reach out to them.

My budget is 2k max. The diamonds in the current 18k setting are decent (not for PSer quality, probably, but I like them just fine) and my husband is attached to the setting so I don’t want to start over with a new ring, just replace the sapphire to something that isn’t so dark all of the time. The pictures I posted are as blue as it ever looks but of course it looked better and less dark under the jewelers lights when purchased.

I’m good with treated stones and prefer medium to medium dark rather than light. But not too dark!

Thanks for any expertise you can provide!

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi again, I’m in Australia and acquired my many gems by a fortuitous auction purchase so I’m not “up” on the good coloured stone vendors. However, there are many other PSers who a coloured gem gurus.
I can tell you that you shouldn’t need an “exact” 8 x 6 gem to fit your existing setting. So between say 7.8/8.2 x 5.8/6.2 should fit.
That said, your existing ring head, the prongs bit, might need replacing in any event. It would need to be checked over by the jewellers bench to confirm. It could be worn / thin. But a new head is not a huge expense, maybe a few hundred dollars, and it means you can change shape even if you like.
If I were you, I’d shop for the perfect gem and assume you need a new head. That way you aren’t going to be as limited if your dream sapphire is found but it’s dimensions don’t quite fit your existing head.
And as you’ve discovered, gems always look better in the jewellers store. There’s a reason why they spend thousands of dollars on their lighting!
What you need to see is the gem outside in normal light or inside in normal light. That will be your everyday experience. Also keep in mind that the same applies to gems you see online, they are photographed or videoed in optimal lighting conditions and also always look lighter and brighter unset.
Most online vendors (and stick with those) have a return policy if when you get it you don’t love it, you can return it.
And, not all sapphires out there are listed to view.
I’d start a new topic in Coloured Gems and ask
“Please help me find a great oval medium blue sapphire around 8mm x 6mm - under $2,000”. Lots of the PSer gurus love the challenge of a search and are happy to help find you some suitable candidates.
The sapphire you’ve found does look lovely, but do see if there are any others out there. If you can, ask Gemfix to put it “on hold” for you for a few days.
Your new stunning sapphire is out there!

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Bron357 thank you so much!!! All of this is incredibly helpful! I feel much more comfortable about this undertaking with all of this great advice.

I’m starting another post now - thank you!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the stone does measure 8 x 6. I looked at some PS recommended vendors but only a few have calibrated stones (at least the ones I saw). Can something a tad smaller or larger fit? Is this too short? https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-11-1274

On a related note, I’m traveling to San Diego for work this week and it seems like I’ll be a 12 minute walk from Gemfix. If the above stone might work, I’ll reach out to them.
Oooh, I think it would be great for you to contact Gemfix to see if you can make an appointment while you are so close by. Even if you decide against the one that now seems like a likely prospect, you can see a number of various sapphires in real life, which will stand you in good stead no matter what! E.g., you may discover that you're intrigued by a color-change and/or that a particular blue you've not considered really appeals to you. And you'll see from the Yelp reviews of those who met with Andrew in person, he wants potential customers to view the stones in various lighting conditions, was mindful of their targeted budget, didn't employ any "up-sell" pressure. So I think you'd find a visit educational and fun!

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@MollyMalone it would be so fun and you’re right that it would help me with colors for sure. And it’s pure luck that I started to think about this project at the time I’ll happen to be nearby! And I live 3,000 miles away from Gemfix so it’s not like it’s around the corner.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m going to visit Gemfix on Friday or Monday - so exciting!

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just left Andrew at Gemfix - wow! What a great guy and he is so patient! I was torn between the stone I found online (posted on this thread) and another stone that happened to be more expensive. He showed me how it would perform in all lighting conditions and helped lead to me my decision. The stone is a bit lighter than many of you would prefer, I think, but it fit my budget and I think it’s beautiful. It’s being set now and I can pick it up later this afternoon! What a wonderful experience.

Last edited:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s great news! Thanks for sharing your experience. Looking forward to admire the result

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's great you were able to visit him! I'm close to LA-- did you need appt or can anyone just stop by?

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
He sees customers by appointment only but they were super accommodating. And no pressure to purchase at all. I knew I was probably going to get a stone but when I was town between two he was so great about saying that only I could decide and that I didn’t have to decide then. I would recommend a trip! And we walked across the hall to have it set.

It was enjoyable, too. He has a very pleasant personality and made it fun. And he didn’t seem to mind my indecisiveness and the time he spent with me even though I wasn’t buying the most expensive stone in the place. So worth the trip, I think.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
0B8AA107-AF31-48DB-8807-3C262C4BBF96.jpeg A08D752C-D25B-4EA4-A5C0-240049EEB438.jpeg Horrible pictures but I felt compelled to post them. Lighter than the ideal color in PS and the trade but I really like it and didn’t want it it look dark in any situation and wanted sparkle, too. As I always read on PS, buy what you like.

As an aside, my original engagement ring is a family stone - 1.5 carat O/P (probably) OEC. I like that it isn’t the traditional ideal of a bright white diamond but I rarely wear it. This ring is what my husband would have bought me had he not had a family stone - he’s a huge colored stone fan and especially sapphire. He approved the visit to Gemfix to get a better stone than the one in the original ring. He hasn’t seen it yet but I know he’ll be pleased. 10 years married this May.

I’ve learned that colored stones are hard to photograph. It looks much different in real life but 1,000 times better than the old yucky stone it originally had.

Last edited:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous blue!
It’s such a lively and pleasant colour. So glad you have found this beautiful stone at Gemfix. I have one stone from them and I love it.
I am convinced you will enjoy wearing this beautiful ring now. Your ring also combines to a beautiful set with your bands. Congrats!!!

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much @Acinom! I am really pleased and I know I will be even more pleased as time goes on.

And the ring on your profile pic makes me drool! :love: So beautiful.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much @Acinom! I am really pleased and I know I will be even more pleased as time goes on.

And the ring on your profile pic makes me drool! :love: So beautiful.
I am sure you will be so happy to wear the ring.
And thank you! We are blue sapphire ring sisters. I always love wearing mine as well

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! I love the luster on you new sapphire. Thank you for posting pictures.

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It is gorgeous! Would love to see more pictures.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! I love the color of your sapphire!

I have several gems that I am totally in love with, and I know they aren't "the ideal in PS and the trade" but they are mine and I enjoy them, plus feel lucky to have them.

Your shopping experience at Gemfix sounds ideal, too, making this even more special!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations and Happy Anniversary! I love the new color you chose!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@eapj, I am so jealous of your visit to Gemfix. I don't live that far from San Diego and have wanted to go myself. I think if I go I would end up spending thousands of dollars there. I am so glad that the experience was wonderful for you. Your ring is beautiful and I hope you love wearing it now.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all of your sweet comments! I’ll try to get some better pics and will post if I can.

This is such a supportive group! You are all right that we need to choose what we like, even if it doesn’t match the “ideal” - however that was determined anyway!

@luv2sparkle - it’s worth a visit if you can resist getting one in every color!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just left Andrew at Gemfix - wow! What a great guy and he is so patient! I was torn between the stone I found online (posted on this thread) and another stone that happened to be more expensive. He showed me how it would perform in all lighting conditions and helped lead to me my decision. The stone is a bit lighter than many of you would prefer, I think, but it fit my budget and I think it’s beautiful. It’s being set now and I can pick it up later this afternoon! What a wonderful experience.
So happy to hear you were pleased with your Gemfix visit -- and that your new sapphire is a perfect fit for the ring & your heart's delight!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is a lovely and lively blue sapphire that looks right at home on your hand!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You've done really well. The color of the sapphire is much more open and allows for more interplay between the side diamonds and the center, so goes very well altogether. Plus, its a pretty blue!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@eapj, that’s the problem! I don’t think I could resist a single thing while I was there and DH is an enabler. I’d leave and be thinking...”oh my gosh, what did I do???????

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results