shape
carat
color
clarity

Reliable diamond/moissanite tester

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please...steer me to a great quality tester..specifically to differentiate between diamonds and moissanite. I buy enough pre-loved jewelry that I feel it would be smart to have one. I have searched threads but it seems there are new moissanite that now test as diamonds which is scary to me..I would really appreciate the feedback! TIA!

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Please...steer me to a great quality tester..specifically to differentiate between diamonds and moissanite. I buy enough pre-loved jewelry that I feel it would be smart to have one. I have searched threads but it seems there are new moissanite that now test as diamonds which is scary to me..I would really appreciate the feedback! TIA!
I think it’s little bit easier to spot Moissanite by looping it and check for double refraction ! When diamond facets stay sharp , Moissanite doubles ! B7776A58-B2DA-49A0-9BB1-36DB84C16D09.png A good tester ,professional one costs like 100-200$:eek2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it’s little bit easier to spot Moissanite by looping it and check for double refraction ! When diamond facets stay sharp , Moissanite doubles ! B7776A58-B2DA-49A0-9BB1-36DB84C16D09.png A good tester ,professional one costs like 100-200$:eek2:
Thank you @Golden_bird..I actually saw that and just ordered a handheld magnifier as my loupe is so old! It has served me well but I’m tired of squinting and looking like a pirate!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a nice comparison. But, they found that any thermal conductivity tester is not recognizing diamond vs. moissanite due to a change in the crystal structure of modern/current moissanite. They are really only useful for diamond vs. CZ or white sapphires. Presidium introduced the "Sam" that they say works to detect modern moissy, but I can't see any third part confirmation. But, its likely better than the older technology. So, I can't recommend it based on any personal experience, but they are a big company with a good reputation.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is a nice comparison. But, they found that any thermal conductivity tester is not recognizing diamond vs. moissanite due to a change in the crystal structure of modern/current moissanite. They are really only useful for diamond vs. CZ or white sapphires. Presidium introduced the "Sam" that they say works to detect modern moissy, but I can't see any third part confirmation. But, its likely better than the older technology. So, I can't recommend it based on any personal experience, but they are a big company with a good reputation.

Thank you @rockysalamander! I’ve just used my loupe but in the vvs and vs1 clarity I have trouble. I would buy a really good one but all the reviews are mixed. I do like the idea of looking for double refraction through the facet through to the culet. My eyes aren’t what they once were so need lots of magnification!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @rockysalamander! I’ve just used my loupe but in the vvs and vs1 clarity I have trouble. I would buy a really good one but all the reviews are mixed. I do like the idea of looking for double refraction through the facet through to the culet. My eyes aren’t what they once were so need lots of magnification!

Under LED lights, both diamonds and mossy throw a lot of fire. But, moissy through off a TON of fire. If you buy some reasonably well cut moissy, I wonder if you could use a hand-held LED to help as another layer of screening tool....

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
This is also a good test in addition to looking for the double refraction.

http://shopping.schubachstore.com/moissanite-identification.html
If you have a diamond and a Moissanite stone to compare, try this test. Take your stone and hold it close to your eye. Get a penlight and shine it towards and through the stone that you are holding up to your eye (like this gentleman is doing.)

moissanite-identification1.jpg

If it is a Moissanite, it will have the rainbow, double refractory qualities of this image.

moissanite-identification2.jpg

If it is a diamond, it will look like this.

moissanite-identification3.jpg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooooooh! These will be fun to try! Thanks!

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooooh! These will be fun to try! Thanks!

NP. It's a pretty simple easy test. If you don't have a pen light, just a plain LED flashlight works just as well. Once your eyes develop, you'll be able tell the difference between a moissy vs a diamond without any aid.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
NP. It's a pretty simple easy test. If you don't have a pen light, just a plain LED flashlight works just as well. Once your eyes develop, you'll be able tell the difference between a moissy vs a diamond without any aid.
My husband is going to think I’ve lost it so will play when he’s not around! I appreciate the help!

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
My husband is going to think I’ve lost it so will play when he’s not around! I appreciate the help!
lol, just you spending so much time on PS you've already lost that battle. My husband thinks I've gone coo coo. I need to taper this off soon. :lol-2:

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

This is absolutely the way to do it but it's perhaps worth noting that the double refraction in moissanite is visible from any direction but one, and the cutters align it so that one is directly through the table. This trick only works if you're looking through the bezel or star facets, not the table.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is absolutely the way to do it but it's perhaps worth noting that the double refraction in moissanite is visible from any direction but one, and the cutters align it so that one is directly through the table. This trick only works if you're looking through the bezel or star facets, not the table.
Thank you! :read:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results