shape
carat
color
clarity

Relatively inexpensive fun projects

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am planning to collect CS, most likely to be rounds, to make a charm bracelet, using pre-notched basket settings in either silver or unplated 14K WG, attaching them via jump or split rings to a 14K WG cable chain bracelet.

CSs should not be more than 50 USD a piece, minimum 7 to start with, as in colours of a rainbow, adding more stones in between the main colours.

The cost can be significantly reduced if I opt for silver instead of 14K WG.

How about anyone else?

DK :bigsmile:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I have toyed with the idea of one day making something with some learner stones I have (the only stones I have, heh). I have two that look very good together, similar sizes. Have no idea what, lol
That will happen later rather than sooner and later I'll probably have other things on my mind :bigsmile:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
What a faaaabulous idea DK!!! Have you started the collection already? Please show :))

I'm assuming you mean the Snapset/Snaptite settings, but they only come in calibrated sizes don't they? Or do you mean settings where you will have to bend the prongs - i.e. Tripps or someone?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin,

Yup, getting the round "dangle" setting from Tripps. I am hoping to find suitable stones about 8mm in size, however I could not resist a 6mm JD sky blue Topaz.

Jeff Davies' site is very additive!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Oh goodie gumdrops on your first purchase :appl: :appl: :appl: piccy, piccy piccy!

Have you got the bracelet?

Do you do wire wrapping? Only asking because if you do, I would attach with a tiny wrapped loop for security. Would hate you to catch a jump ring and not notice until you looked and found one missing.

Jeff Davies' site has been addictive from the beginning because he understood getting good colour, good if not excellent cutting - no windows!!! - and photographing them well. Then offering them as prices that aren't prohibitive - the man is a marketing genius :bigsmile:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the idea...great way to show off the collection! You will need to start a thread to chart your progress :)

I like to sift through the gold my local jeweler is sending out for scrap and try to match any salvagable settings with my learning stones. Labor is $20 for sizing, small adjustments to accommodate the stone and set. An inexpensive way to try out stones and it's like having a fun surprise when you find a match. Even more fun when a stone that I thought wasn't my taste becomes so when set. I guess this doesn't qualify as a project but inexpensive way to indulge my hobby.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That sounds like MY kind of jeweler!!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lilmosun|1415504545|3779972 said:
Love the idea...great way to show off the collection! You will need to start a thread to chart your progress :)

I like to sift through the gold my local jeweler is sending out for scrap and try to match any salvagable settings with my learning stones. Labor is $20 for sizing, small adjustments to accommodate the stone and set. An inexpensive way to try out stones and it's like having a fun surprise when you find a match. Even more fun when a stone that I thought wasn't my taste becomes so when set. I guess this doesn't qualify as a project but inexpensive way to indulge my hobby.

That's a fun and inexpensive way to indulge one's hobby.

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin,

I am likely to use split rings as they are more secure than jump rings.

I made a WG charm bracelet using diamond charms and other components bought from Bella Findings, great fun, and the eventual bracelet cost a lot less than those I can find in shops, and it is personal as I made it.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! What a great project!!
Do you have a photo of the blue topaz?

Jeff's site is indeed very addictive: he add regularly, the quality is good, the colors are great and the prices very affordable.

Would love to see how your project progresses.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
Another big Jeff Davies fan here. I have bought many learner stones from him over the past year, and have learnt so much even just from watching his videos (love that he posts a video of each gem!).

I am planning on setting some of my stones in sterling silver- drastically reduces cost, and since I generally prefer white metals anyway, it seems like a good fit for some of my less expensive stones.

I hope you keep us updated with pics of the bracelet DK. It sounds like such a fun project!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
dk168|1415530259|3780049 said:
Starzin,

I am likely to use split rings as they are more secure than jump rings.

I made a WG charm bracelet using diamond charms and other components bought from Bella Findings, great fun, and the eventual bracelet cost a lot less than those I can find in shops, and it is personal as I made it.

Sorry, I missed that first time around - I think that's an excellent idea! So easy and simple yet will be a knockout.

Thanks for the hint on Bella Findings, I had to go and Google them up. Reeeally good selection of findings - and diamond set, who knew? Aaaw... please post a pic of it here, We would love to see it. Put a coloured stone in the photo if you must :Up_to_something: :lol:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here you go, the diamond charm bracelet that I made myself using charms, chain and findings from Bella Findings; and a 10K WG CS charm bracelet that I gave away to a good home as it no longer fits me that I am hoping to replace:

bracelets.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Eeeek! You most certainly have done this before... they're gorgeous DK :love: :love: :love:

What SUPER special bracelets and you did it all yourself - super, SOOPER special :appl:

ETA: there's a charm bracelet thread over in... ummm, jewellery pieces I think, is yours there? If not, I really think they need to be.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awwww, thanks for the kind words.

I have not posted my diamond charm bracelet in the bracelet thread yet, and shall do when I have completed an on-going project that is a silver charm bracelet with travel-related charms I collected in the past 30 years.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Aaaah, okay. I'm sure it will be just as stunning :))

Please do keep us posted on the progression of your new bracelet, I think this is its thread now and we'd love to see each one as the bracelet builds.

I've go to keep moving - catch you later.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1415480085|3779870 said:
I have toyed with the idea of one day making something with some learner stones I have (the only stones I have, heh). I have two that look very good together, similar sizes. Have no idea what, lol
That will happen later rather than sooner and later I'll probably have other things on my mind :bigsmile:

Yeah, I'm planning to do something with some of my stones that have no other purpose. There are plenty that I like well enough but that aren't the kind of dazzlers that warrant a setting by themselves. I have two garnets that are the same size, same color and both asschers, but one is a more generic asscher with a big table and flat crown, and the other is like, all steep crown and itty bitty table. They are really cool to look at together, but couldn't go solely together because of the extreme difference in cut. But if I throw some other stones in, in a miscellaneous stones bracelet or pendant, they'll be fine.

I have set some calibrated stones in pre-notched settings before. I think before I do it again I should probably take a class in prong setting because, uh, my prong work is not so hot. (I would say some of the bezel settings I've made are "relatively inexpensive fun projects" but they're only relatively inexpensive because I already had the materials.)

DK - so cool! I love charm bracelets but lost my most cherished one when I was a freshman in high school. The ONLY jewelry item I've EVER lost. And I've never replaced it because the loss still hurts, lol. But every time I see a charm bracelet, I WANT one. Please do keep us updated on your bracelets!!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
COOL! I love the charm bracelet idea and the ones you posted. I went for stackers for my fun and inexpensive CS projects, which I love because the collection keeps growing (meaning more mix and match possibilities). I may have to steal your bracelet idea when I get my fill of rings! I'd thought about having a cuff bracelet made with smaller stones set in it, but that seems like a bigger and pricier project that requires more planning. Can't wait to see what you put together!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bought the first stone intended for the bracelet from Jeff Davies a few minutes ago:

jd8mmbluetopazps1009.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
3 more stones purchased for my little project, a red garnet, a citrine, and an amethyst:

jdgarnet.jpg

jdcitrine.jpg

jdamethyst.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Waaaah 8-)
I can already imagine the end result. What a fun project!!
I love the stones you have acquired. Jeff's concept is great isn't it: great colors, good cuts and relatively friendly pricing. Quite addictive :lol:
Thanks for sharing DK!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the kind words!

Yup, it is fun, and relatively inexpensive so far. However, I am unlikely to shop for CSs for the next couple of months as I shall have a ring made in time for my 50th birthday in Feb 2015.

Famous last words I know! :bigsmile:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1416052318|3784028 said:
Thanks for the kind words!

Yup, it is fun, and relatively inexpensive so far. However, I am unlikely to shop for CSs for the next couple of months as I shall have a ring made in time for my 50th birthday in Feb 2015.

Famous last words I know! :bigsmile:

Ah! I feel an active jewelry year coming up in 2015 8-)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A new tent is still on the card, and all could change as I have recently made a life-changing decision to do something about one aspect of my life that is not particularly rosy for the past few months.

The future is uncertain, however, I am a optimist by nature, and truly believe in one door closes another one opens etc...

Hopefully, I can still find some spare pennies somewhere for jewellery.

As for this project, I anticipate a minimum of 7 stones, and double that or more for a more graduated rainbow effect. Therefore, I still have a long way to go with this project.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
All good and best wishes for the life-changing decision and fingers crossed for the tent as a 50th birthday runner-up to the ring :))

Well you're off to a flying start with the first four out of a minimum of seven! You're over halfway... well done :appl: :bigsmile:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All the best regarding your life changing decision or rather the consequences of that decision.
Sounds like it's very brave of you to make a decision like that. Hugs DK!

I hope there will be a lot that gives you comfort in 2015.
And, while jewelry is 'only jewelry' it's a great symbol to celebrate or remember an event or phase in your life. It's always nice to enjoy some daily beauty and art.

I agree with Starzin that you are already quite far with your project. :appl: :appl:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have another inexpensive project on the go!

I am collecting small gemstones, to be bezel-set in a multi-gem and colour Gypsy style dome ring, and have already purchased 2 stones for it. Here is an example of the ring I have in mind, all curvy and shiny:

mqzcywzqafx6qufnrmxqkxa.jpg

And the two stones already purchased, both from JD, no surprise there!

jdgreyspinelps1803.jpg
jdpinksapphireps1158a.jpg

The grey spinel was intended to be set in a tension setting on its own, then I saw the pink sapphire and could not resist getting it. Now I am keeping my eyes of other small, round and affordable gemstones.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just added a pair of 2mm white sapphire to the dome ring project:

pairwhitesapphire2mm__57__20_.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are quite a busy bee!! I love this project as well.
Great stones!!! The spinel seems quite large though for the project you have in mind?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1416742613|3788904 said:
You are quite a busy bee!! I love this project as well.
Great stones!!! The spinel seems quite large though for the project you have in mind?

It will probably the largest stone in the ring, should be fine, as the ring is likely to be over 10mm in band width.

Can't decide if I should stick with just rounds, or have it multi-shaped or not, as I already have a small EC emerald and a small heart cut diamond that may fit. The pink oval spinel would also fit.

Here are a couple of pics of multi-shaped scatter gemstone Gypsy style rings:

698910.jpg
31rscf2fqcl.jpg

What do you think, too busy? :confused:

The other option is to make a convertible brooch/pendant with my collection of inexpensive CSs, however, that is going to cost a bit as it needs to be quite large, about 5cm or larger in diameter, and I can only wear black or grey with it in order not to clash with the colours.

Hey ho, keeps me busy thinking up future projects for certain!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results