shape
carat
color
clarity

Related question about European cut diamonds...did I make a mistake?

mamasooz

Rough_Rock
hello wise Pricscopers!A while back I asked about European Cut diamonds studs. I looked and looked all the places you suggested but didn’t find what I wanted ... so I decided to “make a pair” I bought one diamond from EBAY that is absolutely beautiful and checked out exactly with the Gia cert.What I don’t know is how close the second stone needs to be. Color.? Clarity.? Size?The diamond is purchase is k vs1 and the dimensions are 7.86 7.94 5.09. What dimensions do I need?How close in carat weight do I need to be or if the dimensions match up is that enough.Many Thanks for your advice!

EC8

Shiny_Rock
You would want to try to match on dimension vs. weight. You probably want to keep the color within 2 grades, but depending on how well cut the stones are, they can face up much whiter (or not) per stated color.
The harder part is the cut/faceting pattern.

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Color - within one grade, preferably the same. Size - reasonably close to same spread. Clarity - the same preferably. But.. the tough part is the cut. There's not one standard cut. I have a bypass ring with two European cuts. Same everything - except cut. One crown is higher than the other - thus a smaller table. They came from two different rings handed down through the family so I didn't care.

mamasooz

Rough_Rock
Thanks you for the responses... Which number is the spread?

EC8

Shiny_Rock
The diameter.

mamasooz

Rough_Rock
I am really in trouble....is it the First number or the second?or the third yikes!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you trying to do this on your own? It seems forgive me for saying this but if you are not sure what dimensions are, I would recommend you work with someone that can help source the next diamond for you.

The basics are Tables, Crown Height, Depths, pavilions, girdles etc... these are important to understand before jumping in without full understanding of the basics especially in what seems like a rather large investment.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you trying to do this on your own? It seems forgive me for saying this but if you are not sure what dimensions are, I would recommend you work with someone that can help source the next diamond for you.

The basics are Tables, Crown Height, Depths, pavilions, girdles etc... these are important to understand before jumping in without full understanding of the basics especially in what seems like a rather large investment.

There are many vendors on here that deals with oldcuts and if you can get a really good picture that show the facet pattern clearly and send GIA specs /certificate number sure they can help find a suitable close enough match

Or some on here can start linking diamonds that they find that may work but would need a clear facet pattern to help match in that respect.

EC8

Shiny_Rock
I am really in trouble....is it the First number or the second?or the third yikes![/QUOTE

There are 3 # because it is slightly out of round. The first 2 #s are the diameter (at the narrowest and widest point), the 3rd # is the depth.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also is this for earrings? I think my tolerance level is anywhere in terms of dimension from 7.75mm to 8mm

But more importantly closer to the same facet pattern is what I’d look for and I don’t have a problem with 1 color off for your size. If smaller than .45ct I can tolerate 2-3 color level off (I made several rings with J-N OEC melees) because smaller diamonds usually face up whiter than the same color and once set it may not be too noticeable than in much larger Diamonds

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In earrings, nobody will ever see the sides at the same time. So, you can focus on the face-up color. I wear G and H mixed in a ring. Next to my L earrings, nobody has a clue until they see the sides. But, if you ever think these might be used in a ring, then I'd stay within K. K is a much wider band of color already.

I would not worry about clarity matching at all. Just get to eye-clean to your tolerance.

Width needs to be similar, but on earrings you'll have more flexibility than in a ring (I have a 4.69-4.72 & 4.64-4.71 OECs in a ring and you can't see any difference = 0.08 mm max difference). My setting does have the side stones tucked a bit under the main stone.

Your facet pattern should be similar also, but again, you have more room to play with earrings.

I give a lot of grace to true old cuts. I love the variations and unique cutting. If its beautiful, wear it.

Reactions: D&T

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Could you give us a photo of your stones please?

mamasooz

Rough_Rock
s-l200.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
can't really see that but I'm thinking you are looking for similar facet pattern to this?
upload_2019-3-4_13-8-26.png

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Here is what I would do... email Adam at old world Diamonds. Tell him what you have and what you want. Give him your budget. He will in all likelihood need you to send your stone. But he can give an idea of pricing if you send the details of what you have that you want to match. He's great at matching. I have done this process with him and he's a pleasure to work with. He can set the stones for you also.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Width needs to be similar, but on earrings you'll have more flexibility than in a ring (I have a 4.69-4.72 & 4.64-4.71 OECs in a ring and you can't see any difference = 0.08 mm max difference). My setting does have the side stones tucked a bit under the main stone.

Ooh- is this posted anywhere here?

OP-
If you truly love the stone you already have, I second the suggestion of picking one old cut vendor and sending it to them to match.
But - flip side is that you don't know how much variation you want/can handle. That's where maybe you taking a trip to the vendor that has a sizeable amount of stock for you to view next to your current stone comes in?

mamasooz

Rough_Rock
just wanted to say Thank you for all help suggestions...might need to make trip to NYC!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
or just have fun with it and get a brown modern cut for the other ear.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results