shape
carat
color
clarity

Regret?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
There are a lot of gorgeous, intricate rings posted here, but do you ever regret you didn''t go the simple route? I love my upgraded ring, but I occasionally wish I''d gone with a simple tiffany style. Just wondering if this is common, do others reconsider their setting choices, or is this my version of "shrinkage"?

next life.JPG

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
The only thing I regret is not pushing for an eternity band instead of the custom one we went with. Couple that with the fact that there''s now an x-prong eternity is really getting my goat! Ah well... I''ll ask for it for an aniversary gift one day!

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t wish I had chosen a Tiffany style setting but sometimes I wish I had chosen a pave band. I think it is Mara that has one like that. But then I see other things on here that I like too. I wish I had found this site BEFORE I purchased my E-ring.

I just think we tend to get bored with looking at our rings every day and want something different, just like wanting a new outfit on occasion. I look at my closet and ask myself if I NEED anything new. The answer is rarely yes.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
OMG -- I''m ALWAYS thinking of going another route. However, I have had all different types of mountings in the years since getting engaged almost 17 years ago, and I even did go for a traditional solitaire, but then it didn''t seem like "enough", or that it needed "something", so I trashed the solitaire mounting!
But, I''m not the person to be asking because I do get bored easily and make changes to my ring/stone every so many years (fortunately, I haven''t grown tired of the guy!!!).

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe yes i always have setting doubt! there are too many options out there to not get seduced by the thought of something new!! plus various settings make your diamond look different too, so there is always that curiousity!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
For me, regret is not the right word. The only thing I regret is not being able to have like, 5 different settings and be able to pop my stone into and out of each one at will, on my own (not by having it set and reset). Pop rings. I like it.

I love my delicate setting and love the way it looks, the daintiness of it contrasted with the size of the center stone. Do I sometimes wish I had a thick sturdy band I don''t have to be as careful with? Sure! But not instead of....rather....in addition to. I think that means I need more center stones.
27.gif

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/31/2006 6:29:36 PM
Author: FireGoddess
For me, regret is not the right word. The only thing I regret is not being able to have like, 5 different settings and be able to pop my stone into and out of each one at will, on my own (not by having it set and reset). Pop rings. I like it.

LOL!!!

sometimes i wish i had gone with something more classic and simple, or find things i dont like about it, but then i look at the details and remember why i like it. There are 4 styles/sets I go nuts for:

1- antique tacori type
2-shared prong solitaires
3-solitaire princess with channel set princess
4-asscher in lucida style setting

Sometimes I see these on PS and then feel sad because I want them but I know I could only get one style so I chose the one that has sung to me for years (option #1) but i still want them all :)

dutchgirl

Rough_Rock
It took me soooo long to find my e-ring. I shopped and shopped and couldn''t decide. I''ve always loved three stones so knew this was the route to go. When I finally found something I liked (but didn''t like the price), I decided on a custom. I''m happy - but yes, I have a tinge of regret at times. I still want to make some changes to my e-ring and eventually upgrade the diamonds (color not size). I (too) wish I could have five settings to pop the stone in and out of!! I''m indecisive by nature so it''s a struggle picking out cereal in the cereal aisle. I often wonder what a solitaire would look like on my hand. Sigh.....

dutchgirl

Rough_Rock
Ha, ha...(sorry) I trailed off with my answer.

So, in answer to your question. YES! I often wish I went more simple.

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
I have my original set which I wear most of the time but I also have 3 other "sets" with cz''s in white gold for flavor. I don''t regret my original ring, I didn''t even pick it out myself. My husband is a simple man and I have a simple x-prong and plain platinum band. It''s perfect because it''s him!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
marriahlyn- I was looking at the 1.38 J you bought, and was happy for you when you got it. And though I''ve been following your story, and empathize with your decision, gosh that pave semi-bezel was one of the rings I lusted after.

conitta

Shiny_Rock
Lets face it....we want at least one of everything in each style......It is NEVER ending....always want something else.

Connie
19.gif

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
Upgradable, the stone was a 1.48 J that patty now owns. I loved that ring soooooooo much but my dh wasn''t happy when I wore it so I am now wearing my original set full time. I loved the bigger diamond but I''m so happy with the simplicity that I have now. I just am obsessed about taking it to the jeweler to get polished since it''s all thick platinum and scratches. I sold the ring to pook and I wish I had the funds to buy it back. I''m thinking about it for a RHR, but I just got gifted 3 rubies (my birthstone) so I have plenty of RHR''s now.

I however would upgrade to an AJaffe set I fell in love with and dh was thinking about it and finally said no, the booger. I might be able to talk him into it. The only thing is that I''d have the top of the prongs thinned out into more of claw type prongs. DH liked the set when I tried it on at the jewelers so maybe there''s a chance. It''s about $4K for platinum, but he can swing it. If I were to beg for 2 months salary rule, I''d have a much bigger diamond but he went for colorless!!!

Anyway, I''ll post a few pics.

This is my "plain" original set that DH LOVES!! The top stone is a 2ct Asha.

dsi2onhand2871.jpg

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
This is the rework to have it set lower and the prongs to be evened out. The original jeweler was his cousin who didn''t work with platinum much and the ring was a mess "sorry Joe" LOL He didn''t know I was a PS''er and wanted perfection!!

jbozzo35748334.JPG

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
Now this is the AJaffe set I lust over. It has diamonds up the prongs and everything, so beautiful. I however don''t like the huge prongs holding my diamond so I''d claw them. I may talk dh into it for an anniversary gift this year (3 years). Beg him and remind him about puking while in labor with his son ROFL. I''d like something with diamonds so it doesn''t scratch all the time. My rings now are each 4mm wide comfort fit.

06II18.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Marriahlyn, I love that a Jaffe set...it''s just gorgeous..

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
No regrets but I do think about resetting my diamond into a different setting at some point in the future. It''s not that i don''t like my setting, it''s just that there are so many others I also like, i wonder if i really want to keep the same one forever.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
around age forty i stopped asking and i started getting. i have several right hand rings now. newsflash: you can have more than one!

it helps to buy used or layaway to knock down the sticker shock

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
I didn''t have any regret at all until I went into the little jewelery store we got my diamond in and saw a 3 ct radiant with a halo. For a couple weeks after that, I regretted not getting a radiant, which I almost did before I found my RB, and not getting a halo. But that wore off and now I adore my ring again.
9.gif

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2006 6:29:36 PM
Author: FireGoddess

Oh, yeah! I had even thought of ways to make the head and setting fit together by snapping into place. I doubt any jeweler would do it for us, though. Liability issues galore. But it''s such a nice fantasy.

I have actually changed my setting several times. At first I''m thrilled because this is IT! Then I get to scrutinizing all the detail of it and think, it would be so perfect if I could just tweek this or that. In the end I have opted for a plain Jane setting. I can just live in it and not be worried about it at all, and there''s not much to tweak, LOL! I think I''m actually happier with this than I have been with anything fancy, but I cheated and set a CZ in my fancy setting so I can still wear it if I want extra bling. I still prefer my simple setting 99% of the time.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
this is why I like wraps. I have several. I have a plain solitaire and several different wraps for the days i have diamond ADD.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I had a solitaire ring for many, many years and I love my new setting. I have had it for over a year now so who knows what changes the future may bring, but I think I will be happy for a long time. I have big hands so dainty rings don't do it for me!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha, the only thing I regret is not marrying a man who would indulge me with a different set of rings for every day of the week, lol! (Remember day of the week panties? I''d like a set of day of the week rings!)

Seriously, though...I have a solitaire setting and 50% of the time I am happy with it, 50% of the time I am on PS looking at everyone''s gorgeous settings and thinking about changing mine!
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't regret my setting it was an upgrade of the same ring only bigger. I wanted an asscher ever since I joined PS. So I bought one and made a halo RHR. I wanted a halo ring soooo badly. It's my last jewelry purchase. Well for now anyways!!!
31.gif
College and boarding school is costing us a small fortune.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the look of my ring my only regret is that I can''t use my US as much as I would like (I already lost a melee once) I just wish pave wasn''t so delicate but there is nothing to do about that so, oh well!

KittenKat

Shiny_Rock
I have no regrets AT ALL about my setting. I haven''t seen anyone with a setting like mine. It gets noticed a lot - due to the pink diamonds and rose gold. (9 times out of 10, people do not know what to make of it. So they ask what it is.)

I love it. And I doubt I would ever change it.

So many of the women of Pscope have amazing rings. I do get inspired for ring #2 often!

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/31/2006 3:32:52 PM
Author: PaulaW
The only thing I regret is not pushing for an eternity band instead of the custom one we went with. Couple that with the fact that there''s now an x-prong eternity is really getting my goat! Ah well... I''ll ask for it for an aniversary gift one day!

X-prong eternity?
23.gif
That''s my two favorite settings in one. Where can I find a setting like that?

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Really interesting topic... in my case, it was important to my boyfriend that he find and purchase my e-ring on his own, without my involvement... in keeping with that whole "guy" thing of wanting everything to be a surprise, I guess.
1.gif

So we didn''t do any ring-shopping together, but I had an idea that I wanted a cushion, just based on some brief (like 2 hours) ring-research-shopping my friend and I did... so I''m about 99% sure that is what he has in the works for me. But since then, people have warned me that cushions look much smaller than they are, so a 1 -1.5ct might be too small to appreciate the cut. So I''ve been having some doubts... and kind of wishing I''d had the chance to look a little more in-depth before telling him that''s what I wanted.

Anyway, he has GREAT taste, and obviously I''m just happy at the prospect of getting engaged at all... but I''m picky, and don''t usually make big decisions without a TON of research beforehand, so I''m a little bit nervous about getting a ring that might not have been my first choice if it was up to me. However I keep hoping that getting the ring will inspire the feelings people talk about with having a baby (ok, ok, maybe on a smaller scale
9.gif
) -- sort of a "you fall in love with it automatically because it''s yours" type thing!

Just wanted to empathize, sorry for straying a bit off-topic... love the idea of "pop out" settings by the way!!!

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
I have serious regret all the time and would offer a word of caution to anyone going the custom route....my jeweler did a great job but I totally regret the decisions I made, almost $3,000 later and I wish I had a totally different ring
8.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2006 10:17:54 PM
Author: fountainfairfax
I have serious regret all the time and would offer a word of caution to anyone going the custom route....my jeweler did a great job but I totally regret the decisions I made, almost $3,000 later and I wish I had a totally different ring
8.gif
oh no! why don''t you love your ring anymore? I think it''s beautiful!!

for me- no regrets on the ornate setting, b/c I think when I get a new ring (someday!) it will be a big simple solitaire! hehe
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results