shape
carat
color
clarity

Registering!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Ladies,

FI and I registered at BB&B over the weekend, and I have to say, it was a blast! I never knew how much stuff that store had in it!!! I have to admit, though, I kinda felt a little bit awkward making a list of things (some kind of pricey) that FI and I want people to buy for us, lol!

Anyway, in going through the list I was wondering if I got everything, which led me to my question.

What did you register for, if you even registered? Traditional or non traditional items? Where did you register? How much of your registry did you actually get? Do you use what you received?

I just wanna know others experiences.
TIA!
9.gif

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
we registered at william sonoma (my FAVORITE gift so far is the waffler. it is an amazing waffle iron that i have already used at least 20 times)...we have received most of our gifts from this registry. i ended up taking off some of the very basic kitchen utensils, because i would rather somebody buy a pretty bowl or a neat kitchen gadget than an overpriced plastic spatula!

we also registered at a local gift shop--which was a bad bad idea. we registered for our china here, but we are not from this town. so none of the people who are buying us gifts know about this shop and so it looks like we won''t be getting much there.

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
oh and something interesting...my fiance was VERY funny about us registering for bedding. we technically have a registry at restoration hardware, with only towels, bc my fiance freaked and said no way could we put sheets on our registry lol!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
We registered for upgraded pots and pans, new sheets and towels, a couple of bedskirts (since the dog ate our current one), bedding set, small kitchen gadgets (ice cream scoop, digital thermometer!), some cookbooks, a vase or two, a couple minor appliances, service ware, knife block, melamine mixing bowls, serving platters etc.

Registered at Williams Sonoma and Macy''s.

Right now all of the cookbooks have been bought, both decanters have been bought, a bunch of glasses we didn''t register for have been bought, the smaller kitchen gadgets have been bought (rolling pin, digital thermometer, ice cream scoop, fish spatula, etc), a sheet set, some small appliances (immersion blender, pizzelle press) some other random stuff.

We also got some $$$ and some gift cards. In August that knife block and those melamine mixing bowls are coming home to Mama Freke, so I can stop listening to Mr. Freke complain about the heaviness of our second-hand ceramic mixing bowls and the loose knives on the counter top. Lol.

And this was all from our engagement party. Wedding is in January, and I don''t plan to register for more stuff unless people bug me about it in which case I''m opening a registry at Pottery Barn and putting my plates (Great White Square) on there. I already have 4 sets as a gift from FI for Christmas a couple years ago... Anyway, I hope there aren''t a lot more gifts to come our way, because the wedding in Vegas will be tiny, although the announcement list will be big, so we''ll see...I just hope everyone knows that we don''t expect gifts. We don''t have room for everything we already got!

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2009 11:08:56 PM
Author: cocolaw
we registered at william sonoma (my FAVORITE gift so far is the waffler. it is an amazing waffle iron that i have already used at least 20 times)...
I haven''t registered yet, but I also loooove the Williams Sonoma waffle maker. Waffles = delicious!

zipzapgirl

Shiny_Rock
We registered at Macy''s and Bed, Bath & Beyond. We are already pretty established, so we registered for china and nice kitchen mini-appliances (ice cream maker, bread maker, crockpot, etc)

Almost everything has been bought from Macy''s and almost nothing from BB&B. I think it''s because the nicer things (china, silverware, etc) were there and Macy''s has been having some crazy sales lately. And maybe there is a high charge for shipping at BB&B? Lots of gift cards came, but few gifts, which is why I am thinking this.

I can totally recommend Macy''s... between the sales, the rewards (we got $158 in a store card for opening a Macy''s card and listing it with the registry--free money!
22.gif
), and the 10-20% completion discount, it was a really good bet.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We registered for a lot of untraditional electronics since neither of us are particularly inclined to cooking or decorating or hosting dinner parties. So we got things like wireless keyboard, portable hard drive, Xbox adapters...things we knew for sure that we''d use!

Oh, and steel trash cans with lids, my fav gift so far! We also registered for a few domestic, traditional things like glasses, and picnic baskets and flatware etc. But our registry is already totally tapped out, mostly by my parents'' friends and family buying us things even though they aren''t coming to the wedding...sigh, now our guests are out of luck registry wise. Ah well, I really just want them to bring themselves!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
We registered at BB&B, Macy's, Belk, and PB. Only store I had issues with was BB&B, but they sent me a gift card for the inconvenience...so no complaints I guess.

ETA: And as for what we registered for..it's a mix of traditional and non-traditional items.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
We registered at BB&B, Crate & Barrel, and Pfaltzgraff (online-only). We registered for a mix of traditional and non-traditional items, but they were mostly traditional. We didn''t register for formal china, but we got a set of pretty, colorful stoneware from Pfaltzgraff and white porcelain dinnerware from C&B. We registered for crystal, and we received almost all of it, which surprised me. Other items on our registry included kitchen electrics (hooray waffle maker!), kitchen tools, sheets, towels, casual glassware, stainless steel flatware.

We received about 95% of the stuff on our registry--maybe even more than that. Since we have a small apartment, we are storing a lot of the stuff. We have nowhere to put 8 extra place settings, for example, and there''s no way we''ll use the whole set ''til we have a house. I''d say we''re using maybe 30% of the stuff at the moment, but we''d be using more if we weren''t looking to buy a house and move in the near future.

BB&B and C&B both gave us a good registry experience. It was easy for guests all over the country (and world, actually!) to get our gifts from those stores. Pfaltzgraff was a mediocre experience, but I love the dish pattern I got, and I couldn''t find it anywhere else.

Last thing: don''t feel weird about registering. It is really nice for guests--especially those that aren''t as close to you--to be able to give you something they know you want. They don''t have to worry about whether their gift will appeal to you or match your decor since you chose it. Make sure, however, that the registry info is passed around by word-of-mouth or maybe on a on your wedding website. Putting registry info on an invite is not polite; you probably already knew that, though!

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Thanks kittybean for reassurance about not feeling weird about registering. That perspective reassures me.

When you ladies registered at two stores, did you have the same pieces (i.e. fine china) at both places, or did you register at two places because one place had somethings you really liked?

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 1:54:36 PM
Author: princessplease
Thanks kittybean for reassurance about not feeling weird about registering. That perspective reassures me.

When you ladies registered at two stores, did you have the same pieces (i.e. fine china) at both places, or did you register at two places because one place had somethings you really liked?

I did some of the same pieces and added new things. So when I had China on my registry I had x place settings at Macy''s and x at BB&B..but then I took it off, lol. But I KEPT my stemware and did the same thing x pieces here x there and I got almost all of it. So that''s awesome! I think I only need to be 2-3 glasses total between the iced beverages and the goblets. The only things I didn''t get were pretty much things I didn''t expect to get like my cookware (I put it on there to get a discount and buy it myself anyway). Although I was surprised I didn''t get the mini-serving pieces set to match my flatware it''s seriously only like $5-10 lol. But I''ll buy it myself no biggie!
5.gif

ash313

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/15/2009 11:10:00 PM
Author: cocolaw
oh and something interesting...my fiance was VERY funny about us registering for bedding. we technically have a registry at restoration hardware, with only towels, bc my fiance freaked and said no way could we put sheets on our registry lol!

We are registering next month, and my FI is the SAME WAY! He is adamantly opposed to putting any bedding whatsoever on the registry. He said he could live with towels, but that''s as far as he''d go. What the heck? So weird!!!

I''m super excited to register. We are doing C&B and Macy''s. C&B for just about everything, and Macy''s for some Waterford and maybe some nice silver pieces. Our families love to buy Waterford, so I figured if I put it on the registry I will get the pieces I like in my pattern (Lismore) instead of randoms. Although I would take random Waterford, don''t get me wrong!!

I do feel a little funny registering for pricey things, especially frivolous ones like crystal bowls, but at the same time, I do love them, and the few pieces I have were always gifted to me on special occasions by special people, so they are quite meaningful, memorable, heirloom gifts, I suppose.

Ok, now I''m rambling! I''m pumped to register!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
LeeNY, Lismore is my pattern, too! I love it. It''s so nice and sparkly with all its "facets," and I l-o-v-e sparkly things
2.gif

ash313

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 6:55:17 PM
Author: kittybean
LeeNY, Lismore is my pattern, too! I love it. It''s so nice and sparkly with all its ''facets,'' and I l-o-v-e sparkly things
2.gif

I
30.gif
it for it''s sparkles, too
5.gif

We have Lismore toasting flutes that we received as a Christmas gift and are carefully packed away for their first taste of champagne on the wedding day!!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
PrincessPlease- I noticed that you aren''t getting married until next summer. Are you at all worried about things on your registry being discontinued before they are purchased? My friend registered in March for her October wedding and already she is having trouble.

Just something to think about!
1.gif

LauraSLP07

Shiny_Rock
DH and I were registered at BB&B and Macy''s. We had more ''fancy'' things on our Macy''s registry (ie: fine china, oneida flatware, wine glasses, analon bakeware, lenox giftware) and ''casual'' items on our BB&B registry (ie: everyday dinnerware, kitchen gadgets, small appliances, home decor, towels).

I loved both stores because our guests were able to use coupons and get discounts on lots of items! DH and I moved into a new house 1 month before our wedding, so we needed EVERYTHING! I would say that we got about 70% of the items on each registry list. The rest I was able to purchase later with gift cards and coupons.

I think one of my favorite gifts from BB&B is a Cuisinart rice cooker...if you like healthy, steamed rice, it cooks perfectly everytime and is easy to clean! My favorite item from Macy''s is probably the Mikasa fine china...it is gorgeous in our dining room and dishwasher safe! I also love my Lenox double-heart cake topper. I got it as a gift at my bridal shower and used it on the top of our cake. The guests loved it!
1.gif

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 8:08:48 PM
Author: Clairitek
PrincessPlease- I noticed that you aren''t getting married until next summer. Are you at all worried about things on your registry being discontinued before they are purchased? My friend registered in March for her October wedding and already she is having trouble.

1.gif

Interesting that you mentioned that, I actually asked the salesperson at BB&B that.
9.gif
She said that sometimes they d/c selling items in the stores, but they will check their warehouses and the company itself if you have something on the registry that the store doesn''t carry. I guess if the manufacturer stops making it, then that item will be removed from the registry, and we''ll have to register for something in its place. Most of the stuff we registered for is everyday stuff like baking pans, kitchenware, etc. The only worry I really have is about the china pattern possibly being d/c''ed.

FI and I are having an engagement party next weekend, so we wanted to create a registry for that.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 8:45:24 AM
Author: princessplease
Date: 7/16/2009 8:08:48 PM

Author: Clairitek

1.gif

Interesting that you mentioned that, I actually asked the salesperson at BB&B that.
9.gif
She said that sometimes they d/c selling items in the stores, but they will check their warehouses and the company itself if you have something on the registry that the store doesn''t carry. I guess if the manufacturer stops making it, then that item will be removed from the registry, and we''ll have to register for something in its place. Most of the stuff we registered for is everyday stuff like baking pans, kitchenware, etc. The only worry I really have is about the china pattern possibly being d/c''ed.

FI and I are having an engagement party next weekend, so we wanted to create a registry for that.

Ah, the engagement party. That makes sense.

Interesting you say that about BBB and their registry system. The only way we knew the things she registered for were d/c was because her aunt tried to go buy all of her towels and sheets for her bridal shower. BBB didn''t do anything to notify them or take them off the registry. When she got to the store they didn''t have any left and neither did any store around her. Completely sold out. She placed an online order for what she could get (actually still not sure if she will get them or be told that they are sold out) and it was then she realized that my friend had only registered for 1 facecloth and 1 hand towel (she has 3 towel colors and wanted a few from each color) which was something that was supposed to be corrected by the BBB associate who registered them. Anyways, once my friend had updated her totals online for her aunt to get the complete set it is now listed as unavailable!
29.gif
29.gif
I think the aunt is now going to end up returning everything (after she has paid for shipping to her house) and get whatever new set of towels my friend picks out.

I sincerely hope this doesn''t happen to you and its just a fluke!

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
i had some concerns about registering because of the economy these days, i find that most places only offer store credit if items are returned, i didn''t want to risk registering at a place that may not be around in the near future, i ended up registering at only macys and i''m crossing my fingers
3.gif

i registered for all sorts of home items from kitchen appliances to towels to bedding to even a vacuum
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results