shape
carat
color
clarity

Refrigerator help

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi, I bought my fridge 8 years ago. LG model number GR-B197GLC. I can't remember how long my warranty is but I'd think the warranty is over.

The sealant part has melted and I need a replacement but I can't find it anywhere as it's an old model. Does anyone know if all side by side doors LG fridge share the same sealant measurements? Can I just buy sealant of another side by side door model and replace? Does anyone know where I can find the exact model sealant replacement if it's still available? Your help is much appreciated.

iLander

Ideal_Rock

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
iLander|1396530362|3646539 said:
Did you already try http://www.repairclinic.com ?

We've found lots of obscure parts on there.

Ilander, thanks for the recommendation. I tried with hyphen, without, with space and no but can't seem to find my model. It's a waste to replace a fridge when only the sealant is spoilt.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
thecat|1396530796|3646541 said:

Ilander, thanks for the recommendation. I tried with hyphen, without, with space and no but can't seem to find my model. It's a waste to replace a fridge when only the sealant is spoilt.

http://www.repairclinic.com/Shop-For-Parts/a4b200/LG-Refrigerator-Parts

Also, if you call them, the people are very helpful.

At Home Depot they sell self adhesive fridge seals in rolls. You can try that.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
mary poppins|1396531120|3646546 said:
Did you contact the manufacturer or look at the owner's manual?

http://www.lg.com/za/support-product/lg-GR-B197DLC#

When I realised the door won't close, it's too late to call the manufacturer. They're closed for the day. Anyway, customer service is not high where I'm located, especially when I'm out of warranty. I will try them tmr anyway.

Let me vent about a company selling laptops. When I bought the laptop, I bought extra extended and on site warranty. When I turned it on, the laptop crashed a few times. Went back the 2nd day to exchange and they said they wouldn't do it unless it was hardware issue. So I asked them to determine if it was hardware issue. They said they could only determine hardware issue by opening up the laptop but once it was opened, no exchange was allowed. Effectively I was locked in as they wouldn't exchange unless hardware issue. Yet to determine hardware issue, opening up the laptop voided the warranty. So now you know why I'm seeking the sealant part myself instead of depending on the manufacturer especially for an item bought 8 years ago.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks, iLander. I will email them later.

iLander|1396531538|3646551 said:
thecat|1396530796|3646541 said:

http://www.repairclinic.com/Shop-For-Parts/a4b200/LG-Refrigerator-Parts

Also, if you call them, the people are very helpful.

At Home Depot they sell self adhesive fridge seals in rolls. You can try that.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thecat|1396532534|3646557 said:
mary poppins|1396531120|3646546 said:
Did you contact the manufacturer or look at the owner's manual?

http://www.lg.com/za/support-product/lg-GR-B197DLC#

When I realised the door won't close, it's too late to call the manufacturer. They're closed for the day. Anyway, customer service is not high where I'm located, especially when I'm out of warranty. I will try them tmr anyway.

Let me vent about a company selling laptops. When I bought the laptop, I bought extra extended and on site warranty. When I turned it on, the laptop crashed a few times. Went back the 2nd day to exchange and they said they wouldn't do it unless it was hardware issue. So I asked them to determine if it was hardware issue. They said they could only determine hardware issue by opening up the laptop but once it was opened, no exchange was allowed. Effectively I was locked in as they wouldn't exchange unless hardware issue. Yet to determine hardware issue, opening up the laptop voided the warranty. So now you know why I'm seeking the sealant part myself instead of depending on the manufacturer especially for an item bought 8 years ago.

The point of my post was not to suggest you make a warranty claim. The likelihood of your 8 year old refrigerator being under warranty is pretty slim. In addition, as you experienced with the computer, warranties frequently aren't worth the paper on which they're written, particularly for computers. We usually purchase electronics and expensive items with our Amex because of the great consumer protection features the company provides.

You asked about parts. The manufacturer, which is most knowledgeable about your product, may be in a position to give or sell to you the parts specific to your model or suggest parts on the open market that are compatible with your model. Also, you might want to check out universal seals. Your local hardware store or appliance store would also be a good resource.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
mary poppins|1396534934|3646585 said:
The point of my post was not to suggest you make a warranty claim. The likelihood of your 8 year old refrigerator being under warranty is pretty slim. In addition, as you experienced with the computer, warranties frequently aren't worth the paper on which they're written, particularly for computers. We usually purchase electronics and expensive items with our Amex because of the great consumer protection features the company provides.

You asked about parts. The manufacturer, which is most knowledgeable about your product, may be in a position to give or sell to you the parts specific to your model or suggest parts on the open market that are compatible with your model. Also, you might want to check out universal seals. Your local hardware store or appliance store would also be a good resource.

Hi Mary, thanks for your response. I understood that you were suggesting that I contact LG for the parts. I was just sharing why I was not confident of manufacturer's help. Even when I had warranty they were no help, not to mention when I'm no longer under warranty. Was just illustrating poor customer service in my country. But these are different manufacturers so it might be different. Re reading my post showed that I did give the wrong impression. I really must work on expressing myself more clearly. :oops:

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1396535185|3646589 said:
Here are some LG door gasket options. If this isn't right give the site a search and see if the part might be found on there. I've gotten lots of hard to find things off of here.

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/lg-refrigerator-gasket-seal.html

DJ, thanks for the recommendation. I contacted the websites you and Ilander recommended and realised that fridges are not universal. If the fridge isn't bought in US, the model number will not show up on those 2 websites. Hence they won't know what parts are suitable. I will call the local manufacturer tomorrow. I learnt something new today.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I'm so sorry! For some reason I was thinking very US-centric.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1396539179|3646615 said:
Oh, I'm so sorry! For some reason I was thinking very US-centric.

No need to be apologetic DJ. I didn't mention that I am not in US. I didn't realise fridges are specific to regions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results