carat
color
clarity

Reflection-time, a hypothetical question

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hello all,

While we all are somewhat in pause-mode or reset-mode, due to the ongoing corona-situation, I am sure that some suddenly find the time for deeper reflection. I personally do not suddenly have enormous extra time, but working mostly from home now, I do see a lot of time gained in not doing probably unnecessary things.

With that re-set, I also think about hypothetical questions, and I wanted to share one, which crossed my mind this morning.

So, in our industry, we are working with carat-weight. 1Ct. is equal to 0.2 gram, thus 1 gram is equal to 5Ct. And here is my 'silly' thought.

Clearly, there is an important part of the diamond-consuming public which has an urge to at least reach the 1Ct-mark, when buying a diamond. 1Ct probably is the most wanted weight in certain markets because of that.

Now, suppose that the industry would shed the Ct-system, and diamonds would be expressed in grams. Would that lead to 1 gram becoming the most desired weight?

Please do not take the question too seriously. It is a fun question, looking for fun reactions.

Live long,

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t necessarily think so, because it’s a visual thing too. Whilst people have the 1ct target, if you’ve got a small hand and slender fingers, it will look big, so that’s what they want.

Unfortunately for me, I’ve got fat fingers and stumpy hands, so it would still be how big a stone looks on my hand, and not the gram (or carat) weight that I’m looking for.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Austina. Reaching a certain carat weight - or gram weight - would also depend on the visual look of such a weight. Regardless of the unit of measure, folks would decide on the perfect weight to aspire to based on the look. It probably wouldn't hurt if it had a rounded number like 3 gram (although I have no idea how that corresponds to carat weight!)

Sorry that is not a fun reaction - perhaps we are all too serious about our diamond affliction to be frivolous about it! Lol!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would because with your formula its such a straight translation to 1 gram (easy to remember). If 1 carat translated to
say 1.17 gram then I think people might go to 1 gram which would be smaller than 1 carat. I'm not referring to Pricescopers, but
mostly to the non-diamonding obsessed public. Of course, everyone is different and people vary so you'll get a mix of the different possibilities.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Now, suppose that the industry would shed the Ct-system, and diamonds would be expressed in grams. Would that lead to 1 gram becoming the most desired weight?

Please do not take the question too seriously. It is a fun question, looking for fun reactions.

Live long,

Ok, so dont take this answer too seriously as well...:cool2:
In MMD's a one gram or ounce diamond for all is not so farfetched I suppose :doh:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Five carats alresdy is a meaningful number, is it not? I recall price thresholds & lore, & no more.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
My guess is there would be new sought after sizes that correspond to rounded, easy to remember numbers that fit young people's budgets. I think 1 gram (5 carats) would NOT be the new sought after size because it is much larger than the average person can afford.

Perhaps .2 grams would be a new "ideal" for starter engagement ring shoppers. Or .25 grams, etc.

I don't think the average consumer would spend the amount of time, thought, energy or money that us PriceScopers do to find exactly the perfect visual-size-on-our-hands that suits them. They'd just want to "grab and go" with a diamond that fits their budget and is the socially acceptable "norm" size.

Meanwhile, us weirdos (said with love!) who obsess over beautiful diamonds will continue to select the size/cut/color/clarity that most suits us, regardless of the numeric weight of the diamond.

Just my guess.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Because of the cost (same price as a 5 ct diamond) I'd guess no.

yea, to far out of reach for to many to become the new benchmark unless prices drop to make them like a 1ct is today.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps we might start buying by spread and performance, rather than weight? :tongue:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless prices drop dramatically, 1 gram would be unattainable for most people.

Besides I would rather have a 20-grainer CBI!

Hope you and your family are safe and healthy @Paul-Antwerp .

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The thing that always intrigued me was why gold was also referred to in “carats”. In Australia, UK and some other countries we use carat or ct whereas the US and others use karat or K / kit. Same as gemstones, yet for gemstones it’s a weight and with metals it’s a proportion of precious metal content.
I have also mused over who decided or why it was that 9ct or 14ct or 18ct were chosen as “standard” gold contents. And why in the US the minimum gold content for gold jewellery assay is 10kt, not 9ct.
Hmmm.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My thoughts exactly. I'm going to upgrade my wife's ER from 0.5 ct to ~1,6 ct having in mind its 7,5 mm spread ;-)

+1 I think people would start benchmarking by diameter

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Yup I agree. People would start using diameter. I already do. Ending carat weight is less important to me. I'm not usually a size queen but I admit to feeling super super happy when my last custom cut unmentionable ended up at something like 3.8 carats in the end compared to my 1.5 carat other unmentionable.

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
It might redistribute premiums associated with certain carat weights and people would be more open to buying odd weights just because they like the numbers: .18 for good luck, .25 for a wedding date, .1 for a fresh start, etc...

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
1 carat = 0.00705479 ounces (using food ounces, not gold ounces which are slightly different.

I have always prefered square millimeters.
1 carat = 32.68 square millimeters (based on 6.45mm) = 0.050654101 square inches.
So maybe you Americans would prefer half a square inch of diamond?

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Huge gamechanger in terms of purchasing for sure. I passed on so many beautiful stones ranging from .95 to .98 - I just HAD to have a full carat :D

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
1 carat = 0.00705479 ounces (using food ounces, not gold ounces which are slightly different.

1 carat = 32.68 square millimeters (based on 6.45mm) = 0.050654101 square inches.

(Brilliancy)x(square inches)

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The question is fun to contemplate. How 0.2 grams magically converts to exactly 1.00 carat was a genius marketing move. I say,, "Don't rock the boat".
For sure, it shows how too much free time can lead fertile minds into the deep weeds...:rolleyes::rolleyes:...

Serg's addition of "brilliancy per square inch" is something important, but that's way to serious for this thread.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Um... am I right in thinking that half a square inch of diamond would be 0.5 square inches, not 0.05 sq inches?

I'm sure every would like 0.5 sq in ;-) :lol:

EDIT: Wait - I think I am missing your point that the USA always likes to Go Large? :???: LoL :lol:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Um... am I right in thinking that half a square inch of diamond would be 0.5 square inches, not 0.05 sq inches?

I'm sure every would like 0.5 sq in ;-) :lol:

EDIT: Wait - I think I am missing your point that the USA always likes to Go Large? :???: LoL :lol:

half a square inch would be an 18mm square diamond as an example - that would be about 36ct princess cut, and at that size a princess cut works way better than a 36ct round!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
half a square inch would be an 18mm square diamond as an example - that would be about 36ct princess cut, and at that size a princess cut works way better than a 36ct round!
Someone on here would still halo it ;-) :lol:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hello all,

While we all are somewhat in pause-mode or reset-mode, due to the ongoing corona-situation, I am sure that some suddenly find the time for deeper reflection. I personally do not suddenly have enormous extra time, but working mostly from home now, I do see a lot of time gained in not doing probably unnecessary things.

With that re-set, I also think about hypothetical questions, and I wanted to share one, which crossed my mind this morning.

So, in our industry, we are working with carat-weight. 1Ct. is equal to 0.2 gram, thus 1 gram is equal to 5Ct. And here is my 'silly' thought.

Clearly, there is an important part of the diamond-consuming public which has an urge to at least reach the 1Ct-mark, when buying a diamond. 1Ct probably is the most wanted weight in certain markets because of that.

Live long,
History - carob seeds were fairly consistent and very available. They weigh 5 to a gram.

Paul you question Bombed us, so do you mean 1 gram diamonds (5ct) would be the new black?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me I'm about mm face up size. I love my half carat 5.2 mm size, at some point 5 mm became my minimum size for gemstones. Probably other people have certain sizes in mind both minimum and aspirational size.

Jadeite_101

Shiny_Rock
I suppose with enough conditioning the public will drop “weight” as top criterion in choosing Diamonds if we were to shift to Grams as the new unit of weight measurement. It’s similar to Jadeite Jade were “grams” or “ounce” is the unit of weight measurement. People look to the other quality factors to measure desirability of the stone and weight is a secondary factor. Measurement or millimeter measurement akin to face size of the diamond is given more value than measured weight. In the Jadeite world there is a saying “You’re buying a gem not a brick. Bigger isn’t always better.” I suppose it’ll be the same for diamond. Not only because of cost prohibition but because other factors such as Color, Clarity, Cut will take center stage in choosing a stone. So as an example a Diamond D flawless 3x Ex of .2gms is better than a J Included 3xG-VG of 1gm.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
History - carob seeds were fairly consistent and very available. They weigh 5 to a gram.

Paul you question Bombed us, so do you mean 1 gram diamonds (5ct) would be the new black?

Hi Garry,

I did not mean or intend anything.

But I find the discussion enlightening, possibly the result of launching an unusual thought.

I see many people concluding that weight would possibly become less important, and that more attention would go to either other factors, or to related factors like diameter or surface-area.

Interesting, no?

Live long,

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results