shape
carat
color
clarity

Redoing my engagement ring setting..

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
426CA561-83FE-4521-8AA5-39500DBF03E4.jpeg D1F58C73-858A-4D73-9CFF-EB8BD892804E.jpeg 0694E4FB-3DF3-4104-A3CA-146F0BCB2B5A.jpeg 6A4E550B-9F30-479C-9F3F-4D15C1B352E0.jpeg D17EA7D9-2F0B-4CC5-B920-97BE0A982195.jpeg
I would love some opinions..I had my 2.03 diamond reset from the cathedral setting pictured to a lower profile setting over a year ago. I have been agonizing over why I wasn’t happy with it. The old setting had tapered baguettes but it had two little diamonds on each side next to the head and then had the baguettes next to that. It was too busy for me..I love the tapered baguettes without the little diamonds in the new setting but don’t like the stabilizing bar, the elevated baguettes and how low it is. I also felt the four prongs made my diamond look square. Everything together made it feel like the setting swallowed my diamond and looked smaller. I just emailed David to see about redoing my setting because I still love the look top down but not the low profile and four prongs. He didn’t do the setting before this..What do you guys think? Should I go for another reset? Any other suggestions?

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
426CA561-83FE-4521-8AA5-39500DBF03E4.jpeg D1F58C73-858A-4D73-9CFF-EB8BD892804E.jpeg 0694E4FB-3DF3-4104-A3CA-146F0BCB2B5A.jpeg 6A4E550B-9F30-479C-9F3F-4D15C1B352E0.jpeg D17EA7D9-2F0B-4CC5-B920-97BE0A982195.jpeg
I would love some opinions..I had my 2.03 diamond reset from the cathedral setting pictured to a lower profile setting over a year ago. I have been agonizing over why I wasn’t happy with it. The old setting had tapered baguettes but it had two little diamonds on each side next to the head and then had the baguettes next to that. It was too busy for me..I love the tapered baguettes without the little diamonds in the new setting but don’t like the stabilizing bar, the elevated baguettes and how low it is. I also felt the four prongs made my diamond look square. Everything together made it feel like the setting swallowed my diamond and looked smaller. I just emailed David to see about redoing my setting because I still love the look top down but not the low profile and four prongs. He didn’t do the setting before this..What do you guys think? Should I go for another reset? Any other suggestions?

Go for your dreams! Your diamond is beautiful, so it's only fitting to make sure you love the setting.
Both settings are gorgeous. I see your points regarding the 4 prongs and stabilizing bar. I wonder if you could get a 6 prong with tapered bagettes? Your ring as is, is stunning but I always support going for it! Keep us posted :wavey:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you consider going to a solitaire or a completely different setting, like a halo (even though you already have one) or a different shape side stones?

While I adore the three stone with baguettes setting, I much prefer the style that you currently have compared to the prior peg head version. A solitaire for example will allow you to create endless stacking options and you can set the diamond higher to your liking.

I suppose, what I am trying to say is that if a reset is on your mind, maybe you would want to change the style completely and not just do another alteration of the same setting.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Didnt someone do a 6 prong tiffany like head with baguettes? Let me see if I can find that thread.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Would you consider going to a solitaire or a completely different setting, like a halo (even though you already have one) or a different shape side stones?

While I adore the three stone with baguettes setting, I much prefer the style that you currently have compared to the prior peg head version. A solitaire for example will allow you to create endless stacking options and you can set the diamond higher to your liking.

I suppose, what I am trying to say is that if a reset is on your mind, maybe you would want to change the style completely and not just do another alteration of the same setting.
I just purchased the two baguettes to match the color of my diamond..and I love them...Couldn’t I do tapered baguettes lower with six prongs and it not be a peg head?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know my original setting for the OEC was four prongs and I had it reset to six, it really makes such a difference so I am biased towards six prongs.

If you're not happy with it absolutely change it, life is too short to look down at a ring and be anything less than totally in love.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is that one I was talking about. Couldnt find a picture of the finished ring although I think I saw it somewhere (IG maybe?)

This might help as far as 6 prongs but the baguettes are still pretty tilted. Perhaps you could have the baguettes attach closer to the prong bottoms.
Link is here
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...fect-setting-for-our-2-14-cbi-cads-in.247391/
Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 11.12.38 PM.png
Thank you for finding it! I think I want the baguettes to be flat. I love the six prongs!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@StephanieLynn You’re right...I paid way too much for this setting so tried to convince myself it was fine...but it needs some tweaks to make me love it..Life is too short for sure..Thank you!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I really like the idea of the six prong. I think you could make the baguettes flatter or less tilted too.

Double claw prongs would be pretty too.

I found this picture of a vintage Harry Winston ring and the baguettes look flatter on the side, but still at an angle in the setting.

eda2bd4b-2633-5b2a-b66b-f516a40a4968.jpg 520957ef-076c-5038-bb61-a6cce7ce2a6c.jpg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@elizat Thank you for the photos..I want the baguettes to be as flat as possible...and definitely six prongs.
I went to a local jeweler today to get my watch battery changed..When I was there they asked me if I wanted them to check my prongs...Even though David Klass just redid my Tiffany band recently....I said okay. I was shocked to see that the tip of one of the shared prongs was missing. I originally had sapphires in there that I had him take out and replace with diamonds..and it’s a shared prong..so I know the prong work was his...So...I had to leave it with them to fix. I know David would have fixed it for free but I didn’t want to be without my band for two months. I decided to ask her if anything could be done to change the setting into a six prong and lower the baguettes. She said she thought so and she will ask her bench man his thoughts. It would cost me around 1K...but not sure until she talks to him. She said that she didn’t think I should make the baguettes too flat because light needs to come under them so they can sparkle. So the saga continues...I’ll see if David gets back to me..I know he’s in Las Vegas now but hopefully when he gets back he’ll tell me what he thinks. She said it wouldn’t be a peg head @SimoneDi so that’s encouraging...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean... would you be open to a glorious 6 prong soli with a made-to-fit-seamlessly enhancer wrap with a super fine knife edge, so it was basically invisible?? I keep going back and forth about having mine reset to a 3 stone, but I know that I can't commit, as a soli is just so wearable... it never gets old or looks like it doesn't "go" with an outfit. I have seriously considered having DKJ or Caysie make me one... but I suffer from analysis paralysis, so I doubt I'll do anything.

I agree with you that a 6 prong will show off the diamond's roundness better though...

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Mamabean... would you be open to a glorious 6 prong soli with a made-to-fit-seamlessly enhancer wrap with a super fine knife edge, so it was basically invisible?? I keep going back and forth about having mine reset to a 3 stone, but I know that I can't commit, as a soli is just so wearable... it never gets old or looks like it doesn't "go" with an outfit. I have seriously considered having DKJ or Caysie make me one... but I suffer from analysis paralysis, so I doubt I'll do anything.

I agree with you that a 6 prong will show off the diamond's roundness better though...
I did think about a soli @msop04 but I feel like it needs something..I just purchased the baguettes last year...and I do love that style..It’s just that there are different components I don’t like..I really don’t like the stabilizing bar either. The jeweler I spoke to today said if I widened the bottom of the basket it could hold the diamond without it getting out of shape without the stabilizer. If anyone has a six prong without a stabilizer..I would love to see it!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Go for your dreams! Your diamond is beautiful, so it's only fitting to make sure you love the setting.
Both settings are gorgeous. I see your points regarding the 4 prongs and stabilizing bar. I wonder if you could get a 6 prong with tapered bagettes? Your ring as is, is stunning but I always support going for it! Keep us posted :wavey:
Thank you @bling_dream19 I’ve been waffling long enough...I thought I may just want a larger diamond but I’m not giving this one up. It’s too pretty..I would miss it...I’m debating about using Whiteflash to get me to a 2.75...I could have done that early this year but I went on a spending spree! :lol:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry you don't love your ring... I think it is perfection. That is one of my favorite styles and I used to have one and regret that I no longer do. All the things you are not happy with are elements I love - it's so funny how that works. Irregardless, the suggestions the others have given you are amazing. You should be super happy when you look down at your finger and if you can spend the $ to make it "right" by all means you should do it!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry you don't love your ring... I think it is perfection. That is one of my favorite styles and I used to have one and regret that I no longer do. All the things you are not happy with are elements I love - it's so funny how that works. Irregardless, the suggestions the others have given you are amazing. You should be super happy when you look down at your finger and if you can spend the $ to make it "right" by all means you should do it!
Thank you @headlight I love it lookimgmdown but not from the side...That’s why I don’t want to change it too much. It just needs a few tweaks to make it mine..IF I can muster the nerve to do it..I think I can..:P2

L

lydial

Here is a video of the 6 prong setting mentioned above. This person made her hpd ring at the same time that I remade mine.
I think hers came out lovely! I also love mine. I think it is a little more soft and refined than my original (which looked a lot like yours, the new one is more Harry Winston less Tiffany and Co). But I am not sure if high performance diamonds does custom settings for folks with outside diamonds. I personally like the 4 double prong setting but the 6 prongs would feel so secure.... the 4 prong is the style of my original and both of my remade e-rings.... I will wear it always:)

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! Thank you @lydial I could listen to Wink describe diamonds all day long. :P2

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sure David can help you make your dream setting. He can also probably reuse the baguettes as well. Just tell him what you envision and he should be able to come up with a Cad.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results