shape
carat
color
clarity

Redo prongs for this art deco engagement ring setting?

Redo prongs on this Art Deco engagement ring setting?

• Keep prongs as-is

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Redo prongs

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! First time posting here. I’m really hoping to get some opinions on the prongs for this new to me ring (on its way to me today :D ) The seller listed that he had his jeweler add new prongs. I’m wondering if they are in the best spot, should I have the ends shaped into delicate little claws or rounded, should there be more prongs added (like 8 total).... or would tab prongs be better... or milgrain bezel (if that’s even possible) ?? Would love to hear your thoughts! Oh I’ll be resetting a 6mm OEC in this ring. And if I do have the prongs redone, do you think it’s something any experienced jewelry repair person could handle, or should I only trust that kind of work to David Klass? Thanks all!!

C23726C5-2594-4BDD-A763-E3FD53263F67.jpeg
4DF7DA42-36C8-48FF-8A4B-05538E2A8368.jpeg
063AE0A7-96BA-4C0E-8309-18C93E60C7E4.jpeg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With that style setting I think tab or ribbon prongs would look right. Like on this ring for example
526383B5-8947-4848-9ACC-CFF8491DBD6D.jpeg
Although I like the NSEW orientation of the current prongs they look a bit flimsy and thin.
Is it a genuine deco setting or a reproduction? DK can definitely do a stellar job but a good bench should be able to do it - if you can get examples of work they’ve done before on old settings etc and can verify they can do the style of prongs you want

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty setting!! Agree with @foxinsox that tab prongs are more in keeping with that style of setting. But, if it were me I probably would do something else as tab prongs aren’t my fav. I might ask the jeweler what they recommend based on your diamond’s girdle (are there any thin areas to protect or inclusions/flea bites to hide) and how well your diamond fits into the setting. Above all else you want it to be safe and secure. A good jeweler or DK could do what you want. If you use a local jeweler ask if they set it there or send it out. My preference is to do business with the jeweler who does the actual work so you can talk about any concerns you may have. Good luck with your ring project!

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
@foxinsox @kgizo thank you so much! The ring is supposed to be genuine deco from the 1930s. It arrived today and looks great, better in person! I probably wouldn’t have questioned the prongs in person but in the photos they seem a little out of place with the rest of the ring, and and thin like you said. There’s a local shop that’s supposed to be good with repairs, on the premises I believe. They’ve been doing repair work for other jewelers for many years and one referred me there because they have a laser for Palladium & platinum work. I just kinda worry that if they haven’t done much with antique styles, they might not get the aesthetic.. and from what I understand DK has done a bunch of antique restoration so maybe he has a better eye for it ? I’ve had new custom work done with David which was fantastic. I don’t love the idea of shipping everything off and waiting for weeks though bc I’m impatient. I’ll make a trip to the local place and feel them out.

Thanks again for your input! I’m excited to get this stone in a more appropriate setting than its current home - the one second from left below. I just hope I’ve made the right decision, I’ve been searching for years and didn’t ever think I’d go this route. This particular setting spoke to me as its pattern was more geometric and simple, and the price was nice
7B2452FD-5561-4896-AE10-E64DD2ADD01F.jpeg

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
We kept the prongs as-is and I'm so glad! They are so tiny. I think tabs might have been overkill.

Glad to have more of a solitaire style and a true antique setting for my old cut stone :) And yet I don't want to part with my previous setting, I still love it too!
image.jpeg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that looks beautiful @e2the3rd! You are so right, the tab prongs would have been too much, these look perfect! It's such a pretty ring.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice job!! It’s gorgeous!

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
=)2The ring looks beautiful on you! I would save your old setting and set a colored stone in it! A blue sapphire would be gorgeous to match your eternity band!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results