shape
carat
color
clarity

Red Spinel - Too Dark or not?

hwm

Rough_Rock
Hello all, I have been looking for a red spinel for quite a while and I come across this stone today.

What do you think about the color, would it get too dark once set?
Also, I talked to the vendor and he said the stone got no fluorescence, so does it mean that it wont glow?

Thanks so much for your help!
(btw, the asking price is 2500 usd and the size is 9.43 x 7.00mm)

upload_2019-3-22_16-22-46.jpeg

Natural daylight (overcast, rainy day):

Direct light (approx. 4000K):

Incandescent light (3200K) in dark room (evening):

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There appears to be a surface reaching inclusion on the left hand side and it is quite silky. I would probably pass. It will be difficult to find a spinel that size though -- so if you want such a big stone then it may be possible to compromise on the other qualities.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I though Mahenge spinels fluoresced. Can somebody help me out here? Too much iron?

I like the deep red color, but it is on the silky side. Everybody has different preferences, so look at lots and pick what you like best.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You want red but which red? This to me looks more cherry tomato red (some orange) than red-red.
Clarity wise, I wonder whether it is eye clean? I'm not to sure since the video is very short.
I prefer fluorescence but I don't mind it without if the colouration is really good. It is possible for a stone to "glow" without fluoro if the saturation level is very high. Somehow, I don't think this one is going to glow. It does appear silky though, so it might appear to glow when the lighting is just right.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, a red spinel without fluorescence is not worth it. I would rather spend less money and buy a red or pink garnet.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I though Mahenge spinels fluoresced. Can somebody help me out here? Too much iron?

I like the deep red color, but it is on the silky side. Everybody has different preferences, so look at lots and pick what you like best.

I won’t mention the vendor, because he knows this story and every time I talk about it, he comes on here to make sure I won’t give him away. Lol!

A long time ago, I bought a magenge pink spinel from this vendor, and when I got it, I was super disappointed. In fact, despite the beautiful cutting, I sent it back the same day. I checked, absolutely no fluor, and it was very rhodolite like. I have nothing against rhodolites, but this was nearly $1k, and I wanted that mahenge glow. Therefore, some mahenges probably have little to no fluorescence. That’s why I say, get a pretty garnet instead, because in my experience many iron laden red family spinels are very garnet like. I love garnets, but that fluorescence just adds that extra something.

This does not include pale pink spinels, which can be very beautiful without fluorescence.

hwm

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all you guy's input!
I think I will pass since what I want is a red-red stone that glow and this stone might not be what I want :|

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I agree with TL. A red spinel should have strong fluorescence to be attractive. Same goes for rubies. Medium-dark red stones, which I like very much, can black out in daylight if they don't have fluorescence.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
I was looking at this stone as well. Decided not to add it to the wish list because it has an orange modifier and no fluo. Nice size and shape though!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results