shape
carat
color
clarity

Red spinel prices?

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Just out of curiosity, how much per carat would one expect to pay for a very good quality, precision cut red spinel (perhaps with a touch of orange to the very discerning eye)? :confused: I know this is truly a case of "how long is a piece of string" and depends on the exact stone. However, one has caught my eye and I am struggling to find others to compare, in order to ascertain the value of the price asked.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Justginger, can you give the ballpark weight of the spinel? You'll get more helpful answers since price/ct goes up with each carat increment.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Of course, a big oversight - the stone is a shade over 2 carats. :))

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
My red mahenge spinel (3.1ct) had a retail price of over $12,000 (no, I didn't pay that) but that was the price on the gem box and that is what is being asked retail for that type of stone.

Before I found my red one, I asked Jim Rentfrow a ballpark on the cost of red spinels because I knew he had cut a couple. He told me his Australian contact had a couple, but they were in the 4.5 to 5ct range and he was asking around $10,000.

A few months later, when I found mine, I asked Jim again for a ballpark for a 3ct stone, excellent color and good cut... this is what he told me (I'm sure he won't mind me sharing because it was a general answer and Jim's always been very open when I've asked him questions).

"Red spinel can go for a few thousand per carat if it is intense red color and not too dark. They are becoming very rare and the prices have gone up considerably. I know of a 4.85 that is over 20k right now. So a 3 carat could be in the 6k range if not a little higher I would assume. I hope that helps"

I know the one you are looking at is smaller, so I'm guessing that the price per ct. would be a bit less, but I thought this might help, also, if it does show some orange, that might make the price per ct lower than the pure reds.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
colorluvr|1330792857|3139944 said:
My red mahenge spinel (3.1ct) had a retail price of over $12,000 (no, I didn't pay that) but that was the price on the gem box and that is what is being asked retail for that type of stone.

Before I found my red one, I asked Jim Rentfrow a ballpark on the cost of red spinels because I knew he had cut a couple. He told me his Australian contact had a couple, but they were in the 4.5 to 5ct range and he was asking around $10,000.

A few months later, when I found mine, I asked Jim again for a ballpark for a 3ct stone, excellent color and good cut... this is what he told me (I'm sure he won't mind me sharing because it was a general answer and Jim's always been very open when I've asked him questions).

"Red spinel can go for a few thousand per carat if it is intense red color and not too dark. They are becoming very rare and the prices have gone up considerably. I know of a 4.85 that is over 20k right now. So a 3 carat could be in the 6k range if not a little higher I would assume. I hope that helps"

I know the one you are looking at is smaller, so I'm guessing that the price per ct. would be a bit less, but I thought this might help, also, if it does show some orange, that might make the price per ct lower than the pure reds.

True, red spinel takes a leap in price over 2, 3 carats and beyond. Under a carat, it's relatively affordable.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JG are you looking for Mahenge or any high quality red spinel? I ask because it seems to me that even the red Mahenge spinels with a slight orange tint are more expensive than similar red spinels from other locations just because of the name cache.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Tha is brilliant information - thank you so much! The one I am looking at is a Mahenge 'flame' spinel, about 3k. Non-negotiable. Judging by this information, that sounds like a fair price...it's just a matter of deciding if I'm in the position to spend it right now, after my recent green diamond purchase. And the impending yellow diamond setting. And the eventual tsav setting. And, and, and... :wink2:

I'll post some photos of it after I touch base with the vendor to reserve it. No swiping, swipers! :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results