shape
carat
color
clarity

Red Spinel - How to Clean? Please Help- Thanks :-)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

UkneekFreak

Rough_Rock
Hello,
I am writing to ask if anyone can give me tips on cleaning my red spinel center stone in my engagement ring. It seems to have water marks on it all the time from when I wash my hands or shower. Also, I can't tell if the stone is scratched or just dirty, but it looks duller than when I first received the ring. I think it's just dirty. How easy is it to scratch a red spinel? Any tips on avoiding this? I have tried dry jewelry cleaning clothes, but these were of no help. I just got part of the clothe stuck in the prongs. Thanks in advance for all your help. I really appreciate it. :)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/3/2005 1:49:18 PM
Author:UkneekFreak

It seems to have water marks on it all the time from when I wash my hands or shower.
There must be some stuff caught under the stone. Probably soap if the ring ended up in the shower. Soft brush and a slightly acid solution (vinegar) should do, as long as the cleaning procedure takes care of the underside of the setting as well as the front.

A jeweler''s steam cleaner should do even better, and that''s a good excuse to pass by a jewelry shop. I do not know how you feel about it, but... that is usually pleasant and sometimes expensive, but that''s another issue altogether
31.gif

It sounds improbable that a few months of wear dulled the polish already. It took me about 8 years of every day wear to do that to a cabochon... it ended up looking frosted, not "scratched".

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results