shape
carat
color
clarity

Recycling project

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have 3 pairs of small, but treasured, diamonds that were given to me by my parents. Pair 1 is 0.03 each, pair 2 is 0.16 each, and pair 3 is 0.31 each. I'm thinking of having them bezeled and set in a 16-inch white-gold chain. The stones would be spaced out, with the largest 2 at the bottom, followed bythe 2nd-largest, etc. Thoughts? Thanks!

Btw, I've gotten a quote of $500. Does that sound reasonable?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like this idea a lot! It will end up looking like a Diamonds by the Yard Tiffany necklace, right? The only thing I would want to change is to add one more, slightly larger diamond (maybe a .5 carat?) and put it in the middle. I think that will make it look more balanced.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks! I''m shying away from buying more diamonds though.
17.gif

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I think it would look yummy. The quote seems pretty reasonable too.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
In terms of size, is Pair 3 too out-of-synch with the other 2?

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
IMO it may be a tad too large.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oops, I meant Pair 1.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also think you need an odd number of diamonds, with the largest in the center. I can see having one of the .31''s in the very center, with a .16 and a .03 on each side. I don''t see how it will work to use all 6 unless you buy at least a half carat stone to go in the middle. I have a slight feeling that the .03''s might be too small with the others, too. The .16''s are half the weight of the .31''s, so logically I might go to .08''s or so for the smaller ones. It''s hard to judge this without seeing the stones, though. I do like the idea overall.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t buy any more diamonds! What if I invert my 0.41 Lucida, bezel-set it, and place it in the middle?

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/12/2007 10:43:30 PM
Author: Harriet
I can''t buy any more diamonds! What if I invert my 0.41 Lucida, bezel-set it, and place it in the middle?

I like that idea, Harriet!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds lovely to me! However, since you don''t have an odd number of diamonds, how about stringing the stones randomly in size along the chain? Just a thought. Quote sounds very reasonable.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rock Candy,
Will the different shapes look weird?

kcoursolle,
Interesting idea. How would you arrange the stones?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the quote is reasonable, but the jeweller called my ACA "yellow."
15.gif

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/12/2007 10:59:49 PM
Rock Candy,

Will the different shapes look weird?

kcoursolle,

Interesting idea. How would you arrange the stones?

Not at all - in fact it will create more interest and draw the eye toward the Lucida. You were thinking of setting the Lucida "on point"?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
By "on-point", do you mean inverted? If so, yes. Would the Lucida have to be bezelled as well?

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/12/2007 11:30:19 PM
By ''on-point'', do you mean inverted? If so, yes.

Harriet, the Lucida is a square shape, correct?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Square with cut corners.

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/12/2007 11:39:23 PM
Square with cut corners.

Ok, that''s what I thought, but was all of a sudden doubting myself. By "on-point", I meant setting it diagonally with the little clips at North, South, East and West.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
No bezel then?
Here''s Nicrez''s informed description of the Lucida:

It''s a mixed cut, meaning brilliant on the pavillion and step cut on the crown. It is square in shape like a radiant (with cut corners not to really exceed more than half the length of the sides), and will exhibit a higher crown and deeper pavillion, as an asscher would, but has a unique look of (to me) "Asscher Radiantesque".

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would space them randomly in thin bezels along the chain.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Including the Lucida?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe, but I think it might overpower the two really small stones...you might have to play with it. I think alone, in a halo, it would be great on a thin chain though...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gosh you got me usually I like a uniform look, but am thinking the Lucida shouldn't be bezeled. I'd ask irina tomorrow to photoshop 2 versions for you. One with all of them bezeled and one with the rounds bezeled and the Lucida set with small prongs. I think it would stand out more that way. But would love to see it photoshopped. Irina is a master at it. And may have extra ideas for you as well.
2.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
DF,
I'm thinking of not using the 2 smallest stones. They are too out of proportion. Also, they are not of the greatest quality -- the other 4 are from the same reputable jeweller.

Kaleigh,
Good idea. I refer to Irina's work as "Photoshop Magic." Separately, I wonder if it would be viable to not bezel any of them.

Starryeyed,
Come help!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Am I correct in thinking that this is a fairly simple project that doesn't require that much expertise?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2007 11:18:51 PM
I think the quote is reasonable, but the jeweller called my ACA ''yellow.''
15.gif

What?!! That is so wack...your diamond is gorgeous, seriously! Methinks he/she was just mad you didn''t get that honkin'' beauty of a ROCK from them!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe, or he''s highly colour-sensitive.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
I''m here Harriet!
1.gif

I think your idea is great! I think the spacing will be key. You could put the two 0.03 diamonds near the back to accent your shoulders and then space the other equi-distantly with bezels around them.

The Lucida as the centerpiece sounds perfect! You''ll have to play with it to determine which orientation will look best on your neck.

Have you decided how long you want to chain? 16", 17", or 18"? I''m a big fan of 17", but that'' just me.
1.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
You're such a dear! I could put the 2 teensy diamonds near the clasp as surprise diamonds. Currently, I'm thinking 16-inches, but I'll try on the various lengths just be to sure.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
That sounds really pretty. You could also have them bezel set but dangling by one or two links from a delicate chain so they have movement, if you like that sort of look.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results