shape
carat
color
clarity

Recut on a 6h SiC stone?

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
Is there a difference between the 4h and older 6h stones besides color? I have an Indian moissanite that I’m considering getting recut. It’s a lower color, so I assume it’s probably the old rough. I actually wanted something in the IJK range, so I don’t mind the lower color. But the cut leaves something to be desired. I’m probably going to use a small gem cutter to get a stone either way, and I’m wondering if there is any downside to having this stone recut, since I have it, rather than seeking out different rough.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I
Is there a difference between the 4h and older 6h stones besides color? I have an Indian moissanite that I’m considering getting recut. It’s a lower color, so I assume it’s probably the old rough. I actually wanted something in the IJK range, so I don’t mind the lower color. But the cut leaves something to be desired. I’m probably going to use a small gem cutter to get a stone either way, and I’m wondering if there is any downside to having this stone recut, since I have it, rather than seeking out different rough.
I think there are some differences on how the crystals are formed but I don’t know enough about it to speak to that part of the process. Besides color though, I think one of the big things is the dreaded oil slick that can appear on old moissanite rough. The lower colors on the older rough can also show more shades of green so a recut might make this more noticeable.

Since I had looked into getting my ACC moissanite recut, I know that the machines that cut diamonds can not be used on moissanites. I mentioned a guy on the blue moissanite thread that does moissanite recuts for $75. He can get his hands on the 4hsic moissanite rough in the lower colors pretty cheaply and I think if you were going to bother to do something, it would still be better to use the newer rough in the lower color grade. If you don’t love the one you have, save it for a bale pendant or just resell on DB or LT.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I

I think there are some differences on how the crystals are formed but I don’t know enough about it to speak to that part of the process. Besides color though, I think one of the big things is the dreaded oil slick that can appear on old moissanite rough. The lower colors on the older rough can also show more shades of green so a recut might make this more noticeable.

Since I had looked into getting my ACC moissanite recut, I know that the machines that cut diamonds can not be used on moissanites. I mentioned a guy on the blue moissanite thread that does moissanite recuts for $75. He can get his hands on the 4hsic moissanite rough in the lower colors pretty cheaply and I think if you were going to bother to do something, it would still be better to use the newer rough in the lower color grade. If you don’t love the one you have, save it for a bale pendant or just resell on DB or LT.
Agreed 100%!!! I had a gorgeous FB OEC that I absolutely loved as an ering stone,except for the stupid oil slick. If it had been a necklace or even an RHR I wouldn't have been so annoyed, but it drove me nuts. The new moissy I have from august vintage has NEVER shown even an ounce of oil slick despite being a much more exposed setting

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
Ah, thanks! I wasn’t even really thinking about the oil slick factor.

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for the detailed info! Jim/“shinyprecious” is who I was looking at for the recut, so I’ll just see what newer rough he can source.
I

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results