shape
carat
color
clarity

Recommended local jeweler in SF east bay?

tand*m

Shiny_Rock
I am pretty early on in my learning curve about colored stones, but thanks to PS I have felt educated enough to dip my toe into the water more.

There are a few small learning stones from a reputable seller on their way to me (amethyst, garnet, topaz, tourmaline) and I thought a simple stacker project could be fun to do.

From what I've read here, Stuller or Adwar mounts in silver are the most economical option, and ordering them from a local jeweler who can set them will save on shipping costs.

Does anyone have recommendations for jewelers with a decent bench, experienced with colored stones, in the SF bay area? I'm in Berkeley so would prefer no farther south than San Jose, but could go to Marin too. If they do good custom work I'd also like the option to have pieces made there, but I realize that is the cherry on top.

Alternatively, are there custom etsy shops recommended besides the ones on the vendor sticky list? I've seen comments that JanishJewels and OneGarnetGirl may not take customer stones, but would be happy to check out other shops that do.

Thanks!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am pretty early on in my learning curve about colored stones, but thanks to PS I have felt educated enough to dip my toe into the water more.

There are a few small learning stones from a reputable seller on their way to me (amethyst, garnet, topaz, tourmaline) and I thought a simple stacker project could be fun to do.

From what I've read here, Stuller or Adwar mounts in silver are the most economical option, and ordering them from a local jeweler who can set them will save on shipping costs.

Does anyone have recommendations for jewelers with a decent bench, experienced with colored stones, in the SF bay area? I'm in Berkeley so would prefer no farther south than San Jose, but could go to Marin too. If they do good custom work I'd also like the option to have pieces made there, but I realize that is the cherry on top.

Alternatively, are there custom etsy shops recommended besides the ones on the vendor sticky list? I've seen comments that JanishJewels and OneGarnetGirl may not take customer stones, but would be happy to check out other shops that do.

Thanks!
I have friends who have had things made at Given Gold on Piedmont Ave. in Oakland and at Bill's Trading Post and Gem Gallery on College Ave in Berkeley. I have purchased from both but never had custom work done, but as mentioned, friends of mine have. They have both been there for decades, which says something. Good luck!

tand*m

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Bluegemz! I'll definitely check out both places.

I realized the SF gem show is this weekend... I remember going as a child and finding inexpensive stone carvings which I loved, but have never been as an adult. Is it worth checking out for PS-worthy finds? Is Sat or Sun a better bet, or does it matter?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Bluegemz! I'll definitely check out both places.

I realized the SF gem show is this weekend... I remember going as a child and finding inexpensive stone carvings which I loved, but have never been as an adult. Is it worth checking out for PS-worthy finds? Is Sat or Sun a better bet, or does it matter?
I have never been to it! Wish I could advise you. If it were me, it would be fun to check out just for browsing!

tand*m

Shiny_Rock
Hopefully the stars (by which I mean kiddo, traffic, and parking) align and I get to check it out sometime this weekend. Have a good one yourself!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results