shape
carat
color
clarity

Recommendations for highest cut quality custom Lab eternity band

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Hello Sparkly Friends,

I'm dipping my toe into the lab grown diamond pool and need your help.

I'm mostly an earth-mined gal. However, I'm thinking about a lab grown eternity band.

Who makes larger diamond eternity bands with the highest cut quality? I'll probably need it custom made, I want .33 MRBs for the individual stones, D/E color, VVS clarity.

I'd love stones that are at or approaching super-ideal cut standards, even if it means buying them one at a time over a period of time, or special ordering them. I will be wearing this eternity ring on the same hand as a tennis bracelet made of individually selected ACA diamonds, all D, VVS, so the lab eternity band must not look poor quality in comparison. I know that's a tall order.

Any recommendations appreciated. Thanks!

And any thoughts on what this ring would cost (or the individual stones would cost)?

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Brian Gavin or JannPaul for this custom-cut LGD adventure?
A Decagon EB would be pretty wild!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I definitely think BGD would be good, or you could reach out to Distinctive Gems.

Oh yeah - Jon at DG will custom cut just about anything!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll add my vote for Distinctive Gem. Jon can probably source H&A stones of this size. Is it mostly for cost reasons that you're looking to lab diamonds for this project? Because a matching individually selected ACA eternity band would be pretty darn amazing, and a band might even be viewed more closely than the bracelet.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
No experience with Brian Gavin or JannPaul. The first LGD I ever bought was from DG and I didn’t know what to expect. Would it look too sparkly to be real? Or dull and boring? When I opened the box, it was like, whoa, that’s a gorgeous diamond. They offer lots of cuts, including a precision H&A type cut, and the prices are listed by weight. You might have to pay more if you want guaranteed D + VVS.

Even if you decide to go with EGD for that eternity band, I’d highly recommend trying a LGD for some project. Maybe a travel ring? It’s nice to have the option to experiment with cuts and styles without sacrificing funds for your long term projects.

Whatever you end up with will be lovely and can’t wait to see it.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I'll add my vote for Distinctive Gem. Jon can probably source H&A stones of this size. Is it mostly for cost reasons that you're looking to lab diamonds for this project? Because a matching individually selected ACA eternity band would be pretty darn amazing, and a band might even be viewed more closely than the bracelet.

Thanks @Kim N . I like what I see on Distinctive Gem's website. It looks really straightforward.

Yes, a matching ACA eternity band would be spectacular. Here's how I'm feeling/my logic behind considering a lab grown band (and I hope this doesn't offend anyone who is a lab grown collector, its not meant to, its just my honest feelings.)

I LOVE the look on an eternity band, with diamonds all the way around the finger. But it would cause me so much mental anguish to be constantly bumping those bottom diamonds agains metal railings, door handles, granite table tops, and all the things in the course of a day I'd grab with my hands. Because I'd be using D IF-VVS diamonds, I'd feel the pain even more exquisitely (because to me they are more mind clean). However, I honestly don't think I'd feel any pain or worry if the eternity ring were lab grown because I just don't value lab grown diamonds like I do earth-mined ones (regardless of cost). To me, lab grown will never feel "precious" in the same way earth minded ones do. I could never see the lab grow as anything other than "fun" jewelry. So I could wear the lab band free of mental anguish.

So really what I'm deciding between is do I go for an earth minded 5-stone ring (which I don't worry about bumping) or a lab grown full eternity band.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Kim N . I like what I see on Distinctive Gem's website. It looks really straightforward.

Yes, a matching ACA eternity band would be spectacular. Here's how I'm feeling/my logic behind considering a lab grown band (and I hope this doesn't offend anyone who is a lab grown collector, its not meant to, its just my honest feelings.)

I LOVE the look on an eternity band, with diamonds all the way around the finger. But it would cause me so much mental anguish to be constantly bumping those bottom diamonds agains metal railings, door handles, granite table tops, and all the things in the course of a day I'd grab with my hands. Because I'd be using D IF-VVS diamonds, I'd feel the pain even more exquisitely (because to me they are more mind clean). However, I honestly don't think I'd feel any pain or worry if the eternity ring were lab grown because I just don't value lab grown diamonds like I do earth-mined ones (regardless of cost). To me, lab grown will never feel "precious" in the same way earth minded ones do. I could never see the lab grow as anything other than "fun" jewelry. So I could wear the lab band free of mental anguish.

So really what I'm deciding between is do I go for an earth minded 5-stone ring (which I don't worry about bumping) or a lab grown full eternity band.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, RwS. That makes a lot of sense, and I can't wait to see what you end up with.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
You know, after reading your post, maybe buy one 0.33 ct LGD, in standard color/clarity, which iirc is G/VS1, and make a simple pendant, or two 0.33 and make some simple earrings. See how you feel wearing them. It would be a shame to spend the time and the money getting a higher number of custom cut high color/high clarity LGD, and end up with a gorgeous ring that is not going to be cheap, but then you don’t feel right wearing it.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Good luck on your project!

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
No doubt, I'd get a five stone band with ACA earth mined diamonds: more comfortable to wear, no worries of bumping, just the feeling of owning a luxury ring that matches your future ACA tennis bracelet...you 're building a fabulous diamond collection, so why waste thousand dollars on something you consider costume jewelry?

pinklemonadegurl

Shiny_Rock
My new five stone band(LGD from James Allen, hearts and arrows ideal, E colour....) is exceptional sparkle and fabulousness. With your reservations and preference for earth mined, I vote an earth mined five stone. I've always been tempted to get a full eternity but cannot justify the stones being knocked around. My five stone is very comfy and so sparkly. I love the coverage,too.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Jon at Distinctive Gem comes in at my first choice, he could source or custom cut the diamonds.

I thought of them first as well, Caysie seems to be able to source great lab diamonds as well but if you can talk directly to the person doing the cutting it really seems ideal!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results