shape
carat
color
clarity

Recommendations for 2.00 RB Stone Purchase

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am looking for assistance with purchasing a 2.00 round brilliant cut stone which I want to set in the Vatche U-113 platinum setting. My budget for the stone is 12k max and I am comfortable with a J or K color, SI1 or SI2 clarity with an acceptable HCA score. I have found a couple of options at Blue Nile for the stone but I am thinking that Whiteflash might be a better option because they could produce the entire ring. Their prices are higher than Blue Nile. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I have spent countless hours checking HCA scores on stones and I am feeling overwhelmed at this point.

Here is the information on two stones from Blue Nile. They both scored well in the HCA parameters and they are priced within my budget. Also, I am thinking of a Vatche four prong setting instead of the six prong.

Attachments

• 6660C1F8-AE25-4568-896A-E0E393A93960.png
    6660C1F8-AE25-4568-896A-E0E393A93960.png
    655.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 1BE51D03-9256-4D3E-A68D-C1501002BFC8.png
    1BE51D03-9256-4D3E-A68D-C1501002BFC8.png
    484.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 64EE9D50-67A4-406E-803D-91A5C4802E68.png
    64EE9D50-67A4-406E-803D-91A5C4802E68.png
    467.7 KB · Views: 44
  • A116157B-AFCB-475A-AABF-2849F692A6B7.png
    A116157B-AFCB-475A-AABF-2849F692A6B7.png
    695.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Hi! Totally disregard the 2.12... the proportions are horrible and the HCA is also not good. The proportions on the 2.00 are much better. The feather on the 2 ct is on the pavilion - ask the vendor if it can be seen through the table. VVS2 with K doesn't make sense to me as a pairing. Are these comparable in price???

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi! Totally disregard the 2.12... the proportions are horrible and the HCA is also not good. The proportions on the 2.00 are much better. The feather on the 2 ct is on the pavilion - ask the vendor if it can be seen through the table. VVS2 with K doesn't make sense to me as a pairing. Are these comparable in price???

Yes, they were close in price with the 2.00 being 1,000 cheaper. The 2.00 stone has been sold! I guess I will keep looking.

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Should I use the stone finder on PriceScope? Would that be helpful instead of going directly to the vendor’s websites?

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
How about this? Has the amazing upgrade policy if budget permits a color upgrade in the future.

Thanks! Price wise it is over my budget but I am seeing that Whiteflash has options in my range.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! Price wise it is over my budget but I am seeing that Whiteflash has options in my range.

I'm confused. Thought $12k was your budget. The WF stone is $12,145 via wire.

If you prefer a different dollar amount please advise so we can better fit your needs and desires.

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm confused. Thought $12k was your budget. The WF stone is $12,145 via wire.

If you prefer a different dollar amount please advise so we can better fit your needs and desires.

Yes, 12k is the max budget for the stone. Thanks for your assistance!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, 12k is the max budget for the stone. Thanks for your assistance!

Pickings are slim for this size and dollar threshold.

Point blank -- the WF stone is the surest thing with an awesome upgrade program and is within $145 of your budget. IMO, you are shooting yourself in the foot by eliminating that stone over that small of an amount.

That said, here are a couple of other considerations.

Price is awesome at $10.6k. But please note this stone has a FAINT BROWN tint. It says so on the cert, and you can see in the video as well. Some people like brown tint, but the majority dislike it and instead prefer a yellow tint (standard). I'm sure this is why the stone is discounted as it is.

If the brown tint isn't a deal killer, then the proportions do look promising. However, I am always skeptical of 35/40.8 combo as it seems it's a hit or miss thing. Some are great, and some have leakage. I'd want an ASET and/or idealscope (IS) image to confirm light return is optimal.

You need to contact JA and request a copy of the cert. I'd want to make sure it's AGS 000.

On a positive note, it's part of their TH collection and the IS image looks good and the hearts image is acceptable. The video looks pretty good as well. I would want JA to confirm the stone is eye clean, as you do have some crystals on the table, but at least they are clear.

She slips in about $100 under budget and offers 2.14 carats in the process. Seems to be a good bang for the buck if JA confirms it's eye clean.

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Pickings are slim for this size and dollar threshold.

Point blank -- the WF stone is the surest thing with an awesome upgrade program and is within $145 of your budget. IMO, you are shooting yourself in the foot by eliminating that stone over that small of an amount.

That said, here are a couple of other considerations.

Price is awesome at $10.6k. But please note this stone has a FAINT BROWN tint. It says so on the cert, and you can see in the video as well. Some people like brown tint, but the majority dislike it and instead prefer a yellow tint (standard). I'm sure this is why the stone is discounted as it is.

If the brown tint isn't a deal killer, then the proportions do look promising. However, I am always skeptical of 35/40.8 combo as it seems it's a hit or miss thing. Some are great, and some have leakage. I'd want an ASET and/or idealscope (IS) image to confirm light return is optimal.

You need to contact JA and request a copy of the cert. I'd want to make sure it's AGS 000.

On a positive note, it's part of their TH collection and the IS image looks good and the hearts image is acceptable. The video looks pretty good as well. I would want JA to confirm the stone is eye clean, as you do have some crystals on the table, but at least they are clear.

She slips in about $100 under budget and offers 2.14 carats in the process. Seems to be a good bang for the buck if JA confirms it's eye clean.

Thank you for the information. I am going to consider the stone from Whiteflash.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results