shape
carat
color
clarity

Recommendation on a good cheap wine

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Charle's Shaw, aka 2-Buck Chuck because it used to be $1.99 per bottle, releases a wonderful light red each year just before Thanksgiving.
It is a small run that sells out by January.
It should be enjoyed immediately as it does not keep in the bottle.
It is sometimes a Gamay Beaujolais, a Beaujolais Nouveau or a Nouveau Table Wine meaning there is more than one variety of grape in the mix.
IIRC, some years it's Australian, French or Californian.

Every year I buy a case or two.
It is light-bodied, fragrant and fruity, but not wimpy, pathetic or watery.
It has a bit of mysterie notes like licorice and cinnamon, with a wonderful bouquet of fragrances and flavors.

This year it is the best I can remember.
Here in California all 2-Buck Chuck varieties are now $2.49 … still a great bargain.
It may be a buck higher in your state, like NY.
Other varieties/vintages of Charles Shaw are hit or miss and can occasionally be horrid, but the wine below is lovely.
A case of 12 bottles will only set you back $30.

If you are accustomed to fine wines at $25+ per bottle, don't bother.

screen_shot_2013-12-07_at_0.png

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Kenny. I remember that you recommended those to me last year. When I went to the TJ wine store in Union Square, they did not have your favorites. Maybe I'll go stop by after finals. Do you think those are good for mulled wine as well?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sakuracherry|1386460946|3569749 said:
Hello Kenny. I remember that you recommended those to me last year. When I went to the TJ wine store in Union Square, they did not have your favorites. Maybe I'll go stop by after finals. Do you think those are good for mulled wine as well?

Don't wait.
Drop out of school and run to Trader Joe's now. :lol:

I had to google mulled wines and it said usually claret or port are used.
Port has a higher alcohol content than this wine, at 11.5% so people familiar with mulled wines may find it to be not as strong as they expect.
But Claret is the British term for Bordeaux wine.
Bordeaux is a region of France so perhaps this wine would work.
Flavor-wise I'd guess it would be a good match for the other ingredients in mulled wine.

You'll have to mull it over. :mrgreen:
Invite me over for the taste test.

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
My local TJ sells mulling spice, but they do not carry wine :( You're welcome to stop by for a taste if you're ever in NYC :naughty: I'm going to compare those TJ wines to Whole Foods ones!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sakuracherry|1386461934|3569758 said:
My local TJ sells mulling spice, but they do not carry wine :( You're welcome to stop by for a taste if you're ever in NYC :naughty: I'm going to compare those TJ wines to Whole Foods ones!

Yeah, alcohol sales are controlled by the 50 states and their motivations/rules are all over the map. :roll:

I'd be happy if you could recommend your favorite good-value wines from Whole Foods … if under $10.
I'll give expensive wine as a present but never buy it for myself.

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
Three Wishes Cabernet is pretty decent. I haven't tried any other Three Wishes for a long time. My favorite table wines that you can get from Whole Foods are Sauvignon Blanc from Sterling Vineyards and Sauvignon Blanc and Pino Noir from Beaulieu Vineyard. You can get any of them for $10. I rarely drink expensive wine, either. I enjoy finding good table wines.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks.

You might look for Crane Lake Petite Sirah … under $5 here in California.

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
I'll definitely look for that wine when I go into the store next time. Red wine tastes better in winter :wink2:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1386463306|3569770 said:
Thanks.

You might look for Crane Lake Petite Sirah … under $5 here in California.

I'm a big fan of Crane Lake reds. Crane Lake makes one of the few vegan wines available. (They use an animal product in the "fining" process most of the time.) Their Malbec has been my favorite so far, but I'll have to try the Petite Sirah based on your recommendation.

I do not live near a Trader Joe's anymore, sadly. However, we do have Aldi and they also offer an under $5 line of wines called Winking Owl. We buy it by the case for parties and just to have on hand to offer guests. It's usually $2.69/bottle here in Indiana.

Indiana has a bunch of wineries. I live closest to Oliver and Butler, used to work right next to the Oliver tasting room. Fortunately I'm not a big fan of their wines (maybe a Camelot Meade in the summer)--that Soft Red stuff is just terrible but people LOVE IT.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
What's your definition of "cheap", dollar wise?

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
What type of wine do you like?

Personally, I will drink wine that costs less than 12 bucks a bottles and not feel guilty, pricewise. What do you consider cheap?

One of my favorites off the top of my head is Altovinum's 2010 Evodia Grenache. It may be completely sold out, but it went for 8-9 bucks a bottle. I also have some favorites from the 90 points plus label. They are pretty big at the grocery stores here in Illinois/Chicago.

Edited for correctness!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Papi sauvignon blanc :twirl:

Nyc2chigal

Shiny_Rock
You can't go wrong with Yellowtail!!! :cheeky:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am perfectly happy with cheap wine, especially after the first glass. :lol:

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
As usual I am so jealous of everyone's cheap wine.

I'm in Ontario so cheap wine is anything for $9. Nothing cheaper even direct from local wineries.

Beer cannot be sold for less than $1 per unit!

The trouble with government run alcohol sales.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sakuracherry|1386461934|3569758 said:

TJs sells wine here and I had heard they had great cheap wines and their wine person recommended a specific wine to me for a wine tasting party and the wine ended up being voted one of the two worst ones there! lol :o

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Nyc2chigal|1386687886|3571293 said:

Yup! that's the cheap wine of choice at our place. Yellow Tail Shiraz, one 750ml bottle from Costco is $8.99.

There's another create wine from Chile (Concha y Toro wine company) that is also great around same price as the 750ml Yellow Tail....I'll have to go find the name.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Erm. I like Riunite Lambrusco if I drink any.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
My favorite wine is the Menage a Trois California Red. It's about $8 a bottle. I recently saw that they have a Malbec and gave that a try, but didn't care for it.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny,
I picked up some of that two (and a half) buck Chuck yesterday. I'll let you know what I think :mrgreen:

One wine I've found myself buying regularly this year is Apothic Red. I find it here in the $8-10 range.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jaysonsmom|1386699581|3571392 said:
Nyc2chigal|1386687886|3571293 said:

Yup! that's the cheap wine of choice at our place. Yellow Tail Shiraz, one 750ml bottle from Costco is $8.99.

There's another create wine from Chile (Concha y Toro wine company) that is also great around same price as the 750ml Yellow Tail....I'll have to go find the name.

I like those too, and also I like the Rex Goliath wines, especially good value if you get the big bottles :naughty:

Someone mentioned the 3 wishes. I enjoyed those until I hit 2 separate bottles that were off, so I've been taking a break. I would try out the TJ brands but there is not one in our town, and don't typically want to drive to another town just to get groceries.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I agree on Charles Shaw. It;s the best cheap wine out there.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cheap wines---> The Barefoot brands are all very decent for the $8 - $10 price point. Just enjoyed a Zinfandel and it was very smooth, low tanins, medium body and red/berry fruit forward.

Their Chardonnay is very good as is their Merlot.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1386997029|3574022 said:
Cheap wines---> The Barefoot brands are all very decent for the $8 - $10 price point. Just enjoyed a Zinfandel and it was very smooth, low tanins, medium body and red/berry fruit forward.

Wow, Miss E, you surely sound like you know what you're talking about! :bigsmile:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh wow... I think Barefoot wines are undrinkable! Even tastebuds vary.

I lean towards fuller bodied, dryer wines, though. When someone shows up at my door with a bottle of Barefoot Moscato I'm always inwardly cringing. IT'S SO SWEET! :cheeky:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1387042976|3574198 said:

Oh wow... I think Barefoot wines are undrinkable! Even tastebuds vary.

I lean towards fuller bodied, dryer wines, though. When someone shows up at my door with a bottle of Barefoot Moscato I'm always inwardly cringing. IT'S SO SWEET! :cheeky:

:lol: :lol: :lol: They are not my "go to" wine of choice but in a pinch... I'll consume it :wink2: My red wine preference is usually a Malbec or a Roija from Spain and lately have been trying out a few Carmenere's from Chili. I have a pretty open mind to wine! If it comes in a glass --- I'll try it! hahaha!! :cheeky:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results