shape
carat
color
clarity

Recommendation of vendors for setting

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Not going to have anything as high expensive as platinum ring or cost way more than the price friendly LG centre stone, appreciate if I could have some suggestions on vendors who make lower cost setting with quality. Should David Klass be one of them, any recommendations welcomed!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Hi Double E. You may want to check out DanielMJewelry on Etsy, too. He has completed a few projects for me and I have been pleased with the work and the price.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Double E. You may want to check out DanielMJewelry on Etsy, too. He has completed a few projects for me and I have been pleased with the work and the price.

Just took a brief look on his Etsy, sound promising and so affordable. Thx so much for your suggestion ~

I am also wondering if the stone supplier such as precision gem will send the stone to the setting vendor for me or They will only send me the stone and I need to send it to the setting maker directly? I m not familiar with CS / LG CS cutters’ practice.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
I always use David Klass. I find him very reasonable, easy and pleasurable to work with. Good luck!

Thx! He’s often recommended here in ps, and wonder if they also offer 14k or even 10 k gold settings so that I can further lower the cost a bit.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Just more background info, I originally planned to set the stone locally, as it’s more easily managed. however, as you read, I m now reconsidering setting it overseas because I found it hard to have someone do it local as lab stone is not widely know and accepted here. I m in Hong Kong. Even the jeweller who set our Ering only accept the job if my stone has a lab report or lazer inscription.

This has paused my progress with Precision Gem...

I don’t think lab stone comes with report or inscription, am I right?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Precision Gems will work with either and send it directly to the jeweler for setting.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you seen the price of gold? You might be able to platinum.

my last project was 10k gold because gold is so expensive right now and I didn’t want the setting to out price the stone.

Some recommended to me to use argemtum (sp??) silver @diamondseeker2006 would you speak to this.

4A41B471-AF4B-4FD6-B126-66585F5C5075.jpeg
that is a 14k chain and 10 K setting. I am pleased with how it came out.

edit: I gave the local bench a shot and we did a CAD and I am very happy with their workmanship.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Platinum is still more expensive because of the density but it turns out being only about $100 more expensive as opposed to several hundred more expensive!

Right. It takes more platinum than gold to make jewelry, but at this point, it might not be much different.

Things are so weird right now.... gold is so high that I have paused jewelry making and construction and lumber is so high that I’m waiting probably 2+ years to build a house.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Right. It takes more platinum than gold to make jewelry, but at this point, it might not be much different.

Things are so weird right now.... gold is so high that I have paused jewelry making and construction and lumber is so high that I’m waiting probably 2+ years to build a house.

Totally :( I am regretting some pieces I sold a couple years back. I wish I had them now LOL. I’ve gotten two quotes recently and the platinum was only $100 more. Amazing.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Check with QCustom Jewelry too. They do custom at a reasonable price, but gold is sky high. I'd hold off on casting now unless you really want it now!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I helped with two pendant settings for my daughters back in Dec when I think gold was even higher, and David Klass was very reasonable. I doubt you’d find that quality for any less. One was platinum and one 18k yg and the prices were close although the pendants were totally different.

So you are fine with platinum or gold with DK in a ring setting. It certainly will be less than a good quality branded setting.

I guess I am not clear on the value of your stone. This is the fashion jewelry forum, so if it’s meant to be costume jewelry, something like Argentinium silver (not as prone to tarnish) might be good. A lab diamond I would set in precious metals like gold or platinum.

mamalovesgems

Rough_Rock
Oooh! Does anyone have a vendor that does custom work in tarnish proof (argentium or plated) silver? I would like to get some stones set inexpensively.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Have you seen the price of gold? You might be able to platinum.

my last project was 10k gold because gold is so expensive right now and I didn’t want the setting to out price the stone.

Some recommended to me to use argemtum (sp??) silver @diamondseeker2006 would you speak to this.

4A41B471-AF4B-4FD6-B126-66585F5C5075.jpeg
that is a 14k chain and 10 K setting. I am pleased with how it came out.

edit: I gave the local bench a shot and we did a CAD and I am very happy with their workmanship.

Thanks for the advice. I don't want the setting out pricing the stone too much too. I may probably have a lab grown pink sapphire costing around $250, so something like 14K is really what I am thinking about.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
0196FB9A-D706-485F-8A87-62B65CE68BA5.jpeg

oh, these are also MMD in the halo.

edit: I’ve used David Klass a few times.

So are the MMDs sourced by your local jeweler or yourself?

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
I helped with two pendant settings for my daughters back in Dec when I think gold was even higher, and David Klass was very reasonable. I doubt you’d find that quality for any less. One was platinum and one 18k yg and the prices were close although the pendants were totally different.

So you are fine with platinum or gold with DK in a ring setting. It certainly will be less than a good quality branded setting.

I guess I am not clear on the value of your stone. This is the fashion jewelry forum, so if it’s meant to be costume jewelry, something like Argentinium silver (not as prone to tarnish) might be good. A lab diamond I would set in precious metals like gold or platinum.

Thanks a lot~Sent an enquiry to DK and awaiting their reply. I planned to purchase a 7-8mm lab created pink sapphire. I checked Precision Gem's web-site & IG, their reviews on PS, I believe their quality & price are all fine for me. Of course appreciated if you folks have other suggestions on any other sources for lab grown hot / neon pink sapphire or spinel~

I did a very simple research on Argentinium Silver on line, and agree it could be quite an ideal option for more casual pieces. The higher tarnish resistance part is great, you can take less care about it~ I would definitely consider if I am not targeting rose gold setting for pink stone! But I do have a question in case for future jewelry making, is Argentinium Silver hard / strong enough for stone setting? I hold the same question for Sterling silver actually.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks a lot~Sent an enquiry to DK and awaiting their reply. I planned to purchase a 7-8mm lab created pink sapphire. I checked Precision Gem's web-site & IG, their reviews on PS, I believe their quality & price are all fine for me. Of course appreciated if you folks have other suggestions on any other sources for lab grown hot / neon pink sapphire or spinel~

I did a very simple research on Argentinium Silver on line, and agree it could be quite an ideal option for more casual pieces. The higher tarnish resistance part is great, you can take less care about it~ I would definitely consider if I am not targeting rose gold setting for pink stone! But I do have a question in case for future jewelry making, is Argentinium Silver hard / strong enough for stone setting? I hold the same question for Sterling silver actually.

Oh, that sounds so pretty! I certainly think 14k rose gold would be nice for your stone and not terribly expensive!

I heard of argentinium silver here years ago when there was a jeweler who used it. I am not sure I'd use it for a ring, but it might be good for things like long necklaces when the cost of a gold chain would be cost prohibitive. I think there are vendors like DK who are very reasonable for 14k gold, so I'd recommend that for lab or natural gemstones.

The vendor who used to sell it no longer has an online presence, but you can see some of her old work in images, She definitely set stones! Please note that there are several of her pieces with other items mixed in. Her name was Julia Kay Taylor.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, that sounds so pretty! I certainly think 14k rose gold would be nice for your stone and not terribly expensive!

I heard of argentinium silver here years ago when there was a jeweler who used it. I am not sure I'd use it for a ring, but it might be good for things like long necklaces when the cost of a gold chain would be cost prohibitive. I think there are vendors like DK who are very reasonable for 14k gold, so I'd recommend that for lab or natural gemstones.

The vendor who used to sell it no longer has an online presence, but you can see some of her old work in images, She definitely set stones! Please note that there are several of her pieces with other items mixed in. Her name was Julia Kay Taylor.

Yes only old news about Julia...
Never mind, I am in a talk with David now~

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results