shape
carat
color
clarity

Recommendation for the thickest yoga/exercise mat EVER

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been all over the internet and looked at a gazillion reviews... A lot of them say something like, well this mat is supposed to be 3/4" thick and is really only 1/2" and isn't any better than something I could buy at Tarjay for $9.99.

So, all you yogis (and others who use these mats for stuff), what do you recommend as the thickest, cushiest, best mat EVER?

BTW (and please don't think I'm crazy when I say this... ) I will be using this on top of an area rug with a big pillow to take naps. My boathouse has a king size sofa bed, but if the CB and I want to take a nap at the same in the middle of the day we're certainly not going to pull out the bed to do it. This way one of us can use the sofa and the other can use the mat. I'm also open to other ideas, but it's got to be small and easily storable, so something that rolls up like a yoga mat is ideal.

sstephensid

Shiny_Rock
I've been all over the internet and looked at a gazillion reviews... A lot of them say something like, well this mat is supposed to be 3/4" thick and is really only 1/2" and isn't any better than something I could buy at Tarjay for $9.99.

So, all you yogis (and others who use these mats for stuff), what do you recommend as the thickest, cushiest, best mat EVER?

BTW (and please don't think I'm crazy when I say this... ) I will be using this on top of an area rug with a big pillow to take naps. My boathouse has a king size sofa bed, but if the CB and I want to take a nap at the same in the middle of the day we're certainly not going to pull out the bed to do it. This way one of us can use the sofa and the other can use the mat. I'm also open to other ideas, but it's got to be small and easily storable, so something that rolls up like a yoga mat is ideal.
Gosh I don't know the brand name. I saw a super thick one at TJ maxx. I think it wasn't technically for yoga but for some other type of exercise. Sorry not helpful.

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
Reehut. Their 1/2 inch yoga mat is truly 1/2 inch. It's like a mattress.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've used a 1/2" one by AeroMat for years and love it.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about the sleeping mats for camping?

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my 1/2 inch HemingWeigh exercise mat.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
I love my jade mat. I have knee issues (among other things :razz:) and I need a mat that is super comfy.
It is a little heavy compared to thinner mats, but I only have to tote it from the car to studio. I have a regular size one I take to class and a XL one I use at home.
https://www.jadeyoga.com/collections/yoga-mats/products/fusion-mat

I use this bag for toting it,
https://www.amazon.com/Aurorae-Accessories-Coated-Multicolor-Pattern/dp/B010OHP3AA/ref=sr_1_2?srs=2582598011&ie=UTF8&qid=1495655952&sr=8-2&keywords=aurorae+yoga+mat+bag&th=1

p.s. my cat Max likes it too!!!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for all the replies!

Sstephensid, TJ Maxx is a great idea and I never would have thought to look there.

t-c, ILikeShiny, and Mary Poppens - thank you for the Reehut, Aeromat and HemingWeigh recommendations. The reviews on all three of those are great.

Siamese, even more than the mat recommendations (which I appreciate), you just solved a birthday present problem for me! A friend has been lamenting that she hates carrying her yoga mat AND another bag when she goes to classes and that bag you posted is great! Gift bought!

Tacori, thank you or suggesting the camping mats. I fell down the rabbit hole on a bunch of the self inflating ones. Ten more minutes of research and I think I REI would have called to offer me a job, ha ha!

The thing that got me started down this path was this "lounger" that I bought at Costco last night: http://www.cochaser.com/blog/purelux-memory-foam-rollout-lounger/ (I can't find it on the Costco website to link it that way for some reason). What I like, but also DON'T like, about it is the size. My boathouse is TINY and every inch of storage counts. The lounger came rolled up in a bag (which I will likely never be able to get it back into... kinda like refolding a map... ) but it's also 39" wide, whereas most yoga mats seem to be 24".

There is also a folding exercise mat at Target, and they seem to have some in stock in my local stores based on what the site says, so I will swing by and look a those too. http://www.target.com/p/vinyl-fitne...gclid=CJKI3LC0idQCFR62wAod5FMLgw&gclsrc=aw.ds

By the time I'm done will will end up knowing WAY too much about the various things you can use to take a comfy nap on the floor! :lol: :snore:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More matters than thickness.
If the material compresses a lot that thickness will be squished down to nothing pretty easily.

I have no idea what the proper term is for this squish-ability property, or what term the marketing wennies use, if anything.
I'd really have to feel it and lay (or is it lie?) on it to judge so maybe buy several from places with good return policies.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results