shape
carat
color
clarity

Recommend ring insurance for traveling abroad?

tonynoob

Rough_Rock
My finance and I are planning on traveling for about a year after we get married. Are there any recommended diamond insurance companies that you can recommend? Most places that I am finding are US only.

Thanks!
Tony

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you asked Jeweler's Mutual? I would hope jewelry would be covered regardless of where one travels.

tonynoob

Rough_Rock
I've talked to Jeweler's mutual before, they only insure you if you reside in either the US or Canada.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
I had my ring and watch stolen by a Customs Officer at Alicante airport in Spain. He made me stand back and went through my hand luggage and tray on the scanning belt and that's when he stole it, I didn't notice until we boarded the plane. Because I didn't file a police report in the city it was stolen, insurance refused to cover.
Definitely go over the fine print on any policy in regards to travel and it's inclusions and requirements for claim.
Also, if it gets stolen in the first 3 months, where are you going to buy a replacement? Will they let you purchase through a vendor in the country you are visiting or must it be within your home country?
Many vendors will not send you a ring if you are staying at a hotel, you need a residential address, just things to consider ;))

tonynoob

Rough_Rock
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but thank you for sharing. I will definitely read the fine print.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
Live and learn, thank you though ;-)

Enjoy your travels!!!

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
If you are going to be on the go a lot, I would probably suggest not bringing your wedding set with you. Why worry about losing it? Get a fake set and then you will have something to wear and know your set is safe at home in a safety deposit box. But get it insured regardless, ASAP!!!
We have USAA and they had no problem insuring my jewelry when we were living overseas.

tonynoob

Rough_Rock
Isn't USAA only for military related families? I don't think I would qualify. I'm looking at Chubb as an alternative in the mean time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results