shape
carat
color
clarity

Recommend an appraiser

eh613c

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Not sure if this is the place to post this so I apologize in advance. Moderators please move this thread to the correct forum.

I'm currently getting my ering reset and would like to have it appraised afterwards. I live in Los Angeles and would like recommendations from PSers of appraisers they have used before. Also, since this will be my first time going to an appraiser, are there any questions I should be asking? What should I expect? Can I sit there while he/she appraise my ring?

Please help!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I used one of the PS recommended appraisers in Los Angeles and he was absolutely wonderful. His name is Patrick Davis. You can find his information on here or google for his website. he does a one hour appraisal that you can sit there and watch him appraise your ring. I went to his office back in September and he explained everything to me. He even let me use his GIA microscope to view my diamond. He also is very cut-aware. He has all the scopes to evaluate cut. His charge is also very reasonable compare to all the other appraisers I called. And best of all, he is an independent appraiser who doesn't sell jewelry on the side. I really value that. Hope this helps.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nancy Stacy is another appraiser a lot of people have used and she posts here occasionally:
https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers/nancy_stacy

As much as I like Neil and Dave Atlas and would use them for my own appraisals, if I had a chance to sit down with a local appraiser as good as Nancy or Patrick that is what I would do.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nancy rocks, but she's in San Fransisco.

LA has the highest concentration of capabable appraisers in the country. Try Patrick Davis, Jennifer Thornton-Davis (no relation to Patrick), Teri Brossimer, or Vickie Adams. I'm sure there are others but I've been in training with everyone of these fine folks and am happy to recommend them.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
denverappraiser|1322159594|3068346 said:
Nancy rocks, but she's in San Fransisco.
Woops my bad! Thought she was in LA

madgenius

Rough_Rock
+1 for Patrick Davis. I used him a few weeks ago and he did an excellent job. He did a blind appraisal of my mounted e-ring (did the appraisal without looking at the AGS certificate). He also explained each step as he did it. Much of the general background information on diamonds he gave me correlated with the knowledge that I gained here on PS. The appointment lasts about an hour but he actually spent a little extra time with me because I kept asking questions. :) The experience was very interactive, which I appreciated. He responded promptly to emails, and took extra time to address things I had more concern about (such as light performance). He also provided me with an ASET image of my mounted stone. The first appraisal report he sent me actually had an error on it. I caught it and shot back some questions via email (his notes during the appraisal were correct but he typed it up wrong on my appraisal report). He fixed it, I did a final review, and he got me out an updated version. You get a PDF copy for your insurance company in addition to a glossy hard copy. I believe his company is Gemsecure Jewelry Appraisals. He is in Cluver City just off the 405 freeway.

eh613c

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your recommendations and thank you for the "Appraise the Appraiser" Q&A. The article gave me an idea of what to expect before/during the appraisal. I'm really greatful for the members of this forum because everyone is so helpful in every way. Thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results