shape
carat
color
clarity

Recipe for authentic dish from Spanish speaking country?

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello!

My 10 and 12 year old kids are in an after school Spanish language class. They’re having a party to celebrate the end of this session and the kids were asked to bring in an *authentic* dish from a Spanish speaking country. I’m looking for a recipe for something delicious but relatively straightforward to make. Anybody have a favorite that they’d like to share?

Thank you in advance:wavey:

FYI I will be doing most of the cooking, so it doesn’t need to be something so simple a child could make it.

Last edited:
Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I hear you from Granada...

One of the best Christmas meals I had here was a picnic - with lamb pot roast & 'migas'...

- almost as high on my list as a pork & seafood paella.

Could figure out more later.

Will have to look up recipes, since my so called method is to copy by the ear what I like best in town...

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
How about tacos? Fairly easy to make and 100% from a Spanish speaking country. And kids love them.
Need a recipe?

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, @av!

A recipe would be great, @Rockdiamond— thanks!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about flan? Here is an instant mix with caramel sauce.
I'm in a grocery store right now, so I took a photo.
1545066263181885188704.jpg

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wait- we can make this even eaiser!
Quesadilla!!!
Buy a package of corn tortillas ( hopefully available near you)
Warm a pan, put some cheese inside the tortilla and fold it over. Any kind of cheese will work but for a true Mexicano taste, use Queso Fresco.
Cook for a few moments till the cheese melts.
Viola!! Kids love them too:)

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
If you have access to achiote paste/powder/oil, llapingachos are super kid-friendly, shareable, and EASY. haha. They are basically just mashed potato pancakes ;P

If your local supermarket carried arepa mix (usually in the Latin American foods section), arepas (your choice of topping) could also be fun.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could do an alcohol free sangria- make it with fruit punch with fruit pieces. I bet no one thought of a beverage to bring.

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
Oh! I second stracci2000 on the flan point. You can easily make an authentic one (eggs rather than gelatin) in the microwave....because bain-maries are a pain in the booty.... I used to make this one all the time. Simple, delicious, custardy goodness!

http://amexicancook.ie/recipe/mexican-flan

Q

Queenie60

How about Mexican wedding cookies? Simple, make ahead and everyone loves them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results