shape
carat
color
clarity

Recently Purchased Old Cut Diamond Question

Ari

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hello to all! I just joined and have been reading and enjoying recent posts re old cut diamonds - I have always adored old cut diamonds above the modern cuts, and thanks to internet auctions have acquired a few in the past. My first favorite cut was the mine cut, then the rose cut then the even earlier table cut and square cuts in antique rings.. I have an old cut diamond ring with a nice little square cut in the center of setting, a band with tiny old cuts and a rose cut diamond which I love and a ring which has (I believe) old European cuts.. these are sparkly diamonds and I especially enjoy wearing them in candlelight. I wanted a pretty miner cut yet didn't find and since then haven't looked for one.. until last week.

I was actually searching snake bracelets when I saw a broken ring listed by the seller for auction. The diamond looked like it may be an old mine or European cut and from the photos looked like it may be dark or dull.. but I decided to bid at the last minute- and won. I received it Saturday afternoon and was surprised to see how sparkly and bright it was as it was very dirty and had gunk in back of setting. I cleaned it and it sparkled and glowed even more.. it glows white without much light at all. It is dazzling in candlelight! It is whiter/brighter than the rest of my diamonds when compared. It looks like crystal clear water- Sunday I took it outside in the sunshine and am dazzled by it and so glad I bid on it!

Finally my question: In sunshine the stone has a faint light sky blue sparkle and glow about it.. I thought it may be fluorescence. The light blue color is elusive- it is otherwise crystal clear with sparkling of rainbow colors and alternating white light glow yet there is the fleeting vapor like light sky blue which I find entrancing. I googled photos and videos and info on fluorescence in diamonds and not sure it is as those appeared to darken in sunlight and be a darker color blue. I took it to a jeweler here and he said it showed no fluorescence- he confirmed it is indeed a diamond and said it was colorless and found no inclusions. I asked how he would grade and he said due to bezel he could not see side of diamond (only top and bottom), although he did show me some of his D grade modern cut diamonds and with mine beside to compare mine was brighter white and more sparkly and glowing. He was quite taken by the diamond also. He did not know why I was seeing the light blue in sunshine. Has anyone here seen an old cut diamond show this light blue in sunshine?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a fabulous find! Can you post some pictures please?

Ari

Rough_Rock
Premium
What a fabulous find! Can you post some pictures please?
Hi Alex! Will take some photos with my phone. Regards, Ari

KittyKatEve

Rough_Rock
Premium
I would LOVE to see pictures. I am not sure why the blue, but it sounds like an AMAZING find!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds absolutely gorgeous and I am thirding the request for pictures.
I have an OEC that turns blue-lavender in sunlight that shows no fluorescence under a UV light. I can see the glow when the stone is directly in the sunlight but if I turn so it's not in direct sun (but still under a blue sky), it's just bright and reflecting the sky - I don't know what it is but I posted a thread about it with a video that sorta showed what I see last year. Never did work it out. I think the consensus was that it was most likely sky reflection.

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
thirding the vote for pictures, sounds magical!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting, maybe it’s an actual fancy light blue? Woo hoo.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
457492dro0rb016c.gif

@Ari we are all very excited to see photos when you get the chance pretty please.:appl:

Ari

Rough_Rock
Premium
s-l1600mnr2.jpg Here is an auction photo- will post a photo from my phone when I take one clear enough.. didn't realize how difficult it would be to take photos of a diamond! I had wanted to have made into a simple solitaire ring, but like this old setting also, if it can be repaired.

Ari

Rough_Rock
Premium
IMG_1296.JPG

Ari

Rough_Rock
Premium
IMG_1291.JPG

Ari

Rough_Rock
Premium
I hope the ring can be repaired- it goes well with my diamond band. Been checking out the other lovely diamonds and jewels here...scrumptious eye candies galore! Will be checking out the charm bracelet section also! And the emeralds, opals, etc etc...

Ari

Rough_Rock
Premium
It sounds absolutely gorgeous and I am thirding the request for pictures.
I have an OEC that turns blue-lavender in sunlight that shows no fluorescence under a UV light. I can see the glow when the stone is directly in the sunlight but if I turn so it's not in direct sun (but still under a blue sky), it's just bright and reflecting the sky - I don't know what it is but I posted a thread about it with a video that sorta showed what I see last year. Never did work it out. I think the consensus was that it was most likely sky reflection.

Will look for the video foxinsox!

Ari

Rough_Rock
Premium
457492dro0rb016c.gif

@Ari we are all very excited to see photos when you get the chance pretty please.:appl:

Adorable kitty, Missy! Looks like our little Taz!

Ari

Rough_Rock
Premium
acv123- love seeing how the diamond reflects the blue of sky- haven't noticed this with modern cuts!

Ari

Rough_Rock
Premium
How exciting, maybe it’s an actual fancy light blue? Woo hoo.
Bron357, after reading other posts re this, I believe it is reflection of blue sky. :))

Ari

Rough_Rock
Premium
I would LOVE to see pictures. I am not sure why the blue, but it sounds like an AMAZING find!
KittyKatEve, after reading other messages re this, I believe it is reflection of blue sky :kiss:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results