shape
carat
color
clarity

Received this diamond yesterday - thoughts?

LTCT814

Rough_Rock
I received this 2.30 RB GCAL 8X yesterday from Ritani. I'm still debating on whether or not to keep it due to size (I think it looks a little small on my hand) but I would love to hear your thoughts on the diamond as a whole. Stats below!

2.30 cw
G, VS1
Hearts and Arrows
GCAL 8X Certificate - https://www.gcalusa.com/certificate-search.html?certificate_id=323350315

IMG_7425.jpg

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
That looks huge on your hand. I see graining on the magnified 360 on the certificate and the still photo you took

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I think it’s a great size on your hand, but if you have doubts now, you might want to go larger to avoid DSS. (Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome)

LTCT814

Rough_Rock
That looks huge on your hand. I see graining on the magnified 360 on the certificate and the still photo you took

I think I've been staring at all the rings on here for too long - ha! Thanks for sharing your opinion. I see straining on the report, but I'm not sure I recognize what that looks like in person. Is it all the "fuzzy" marks I'm seeing?

If so, is this a characteristic of all CVD's? It seems strange that this would be an "ideal" cut but appearance wise, look sub-par. I know things need to be evaluated in person, but it's still surprising.

IMG_7427.jpg

IMG_7428.jpg

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I think I've been staring at all the rings on here for too long - ha! Thanks for sharing your opinion. I see straining on the report, but I'm not sure I recognize what that looks like in person. Is it all the "fuzzy" marks I'm seeing?

If so, is this a characteristic of all CVD's? It seems strange that this would be an "ideal" cut but appearance wise, look sub-par. I know things need to be evaluated in person, but it's still surprising.

IMG_7427.jpg

IMG_7428.jpg

Those pics and your description of "fuzzy" is exactly how the graining would appear in person

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Those pics and your description of "fuzzy" is exactly how the graining would appear in person

Agreed. That may be a result of some minor light scattering inside when the light is bouncing around all the facets before exiting. Does the diamond appear a slight bit cloudy, hazy, or blurry looking in certain lighting conditions?

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
I see straining on the report, but I'm not sure I recognize what that looks like in person. Is it all the "fuzzy" marks I'm seeing?

If so, is this a characteristic of all CVD's? It seems strange that this would be an "ideal" cut but appearance wise, look sub-par.

Strain and grain are inherent in both CVD and natural diamonds. It’s just a matter of how noticeable the effects are. Properly grown CVD diamonds can be perfectly clean.

Labs don’t grade the quality of the diamond material, so even diamonds with high clarity, color, and cut grades can have issues with strain and grain as well as odd tints.

LTCT814

Rough_Rock
Agreed. That may be a result of some minor light scattering inside when the light is bouncing around all the facets before exiting. Does the diamond appear a slight bit cloudy, hazy, or blurry looking in certain lighting conditions?

I don't think so? But I don't feel like I have a good enough eye to tell which is not helpful whatsoever. I do see the fuzziness in the close up photo.

LTCT814

Rough_Rock
Strain and grain are inherent in both CVD and natural diamonds. It’s just a matter of how noticeable the effects are. Properly grown CVD diamonds can be perfectly clean.

Labs don’t grade the quality of the diamond material, so even diamonds with high clarity, color, and cut grades can have issues with strain and grain as well as odd tints.

Thank you, that's helpful information. In your opinion, would you consider this poor diamond material?

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, that's helpful information. In your opinion, would you consider this poor diamond material?

I wouldn't go so far as to say poor - but I'd say it's a lower quality than I'd want to wear (unless it was really really inexpensive)

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
I think it’s probably average based on the videos attached to the certificate. There’s definitely CVD material that looks worse, and material that looks cleaner.

At the end of the day it really depends on how it looks in person. There’s too much compression in photos/videos online to accurately gauge the effects.

Make sure the diamond is clean and check under different lighting environments. Do you have another diamond to compare with side by side?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results