shape
carat
color
clarity

Received this 1.5 ct HPHT Emerald. Is it acceptable / good or garbage?

Cobra99

Rough_Rock
Hello community,

I just received this 1.50 carat Emerald cut lab diamond which is a D color, VVS2, excellent polish, excellent symmetry with no fluorescence. It is graded by GIA (see report attached). Now I really don't know if I should keep it or look for something better. I am a bit surprised that in real live this stone has quite a lot of blue tinge and reflections and also yellowish reflections, especially under indoor light...

See here a video under daylight:

Here under indoor light:

Here a 360 close up from the supplier: https://ssdweb.co/ssdweb/hd/Vision360.html?d=923760360&zoomslide=1&z=923760360&ISCONFIRM=0

I really appreciate your opinion and advise!

Attachments

• GIA_report_EMERALD_v1.pdf
    354.5 KB · Views: 25

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not an expert, but I am in the process of getting a lab EC, so I've been looking at them for the past few months.
I don't see any flashes or sparkle, but you really should get a stone holder and angle the stone side to side. You just moved the camera back and forth. You need to "roll" the stone side to side.

Anyway, I'm sure the experts will chime in soon, but that is my take.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not an expert, but I am in the process of getting a lab EC, so I've been looking at them for the past few months.
I don't see any flashes or sparkle, but you really should get a stone holder and angle the stone side to side. You just moved the camera back and forth. You need to "roll" the stone side to side.

Anyway, I'm sure the experts will chime in soon, but that is my take.

Agreed
It's impossible to tell from those videos

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
And do it in different lighting situations. Sun, shade, incandescent, bathroom.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
This website gives some of the things your should be aware of with an EC. I know the pros on here have their own stats that they look for, but proportions are very important.
And, make sure you rock the diamond side to side and not top to bottom. (Not that you can't do both), but the side to side will show the play of the extinction. You want it to be thin and fast moving. Not big stripes of black.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pic of the diamond from the side so we can see the crown height please.

Cobra99

Rough_Rock
So, I just tried to make better videos and hope this gives more information. It is really hard to capture this on Video...
Crown height: 12.15%
Pavillon depth: 52.2%
Table: 67%
Depth: 68.1%

Bathroom light:

Indoor, daylight:

Cobra99

Rough_Rock
@Karl_K Here a picture from the side. Crown height is 12.15% IMG_0742.jpeg

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
So, I could see through the diamond at some angles. That may be normal (Remember I'm not an expert), but I don't know the acceptable tolerance for that windowing. I'm sure the experts will chime in.

I also think the crown height is low, but again, don't go by me.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yea the CH is lowish but given the table size it could be worse. In the video it is showing a lot of large obstruction(dark areas) where multiple virtual facets go dark.
This effects how well it dances in the light.
How does this appear by eye at 8 and 15 inches?

The videos will not show leakage with the diamond up in the air, hold the diamond over a bright background, Pepsi bottle wrapper red is perfect but a bright blue or red works.
Then slowly rotate the stone side to side, not end to end.

Cobra99

Rough_Rock
here some more videos after I received a better tool to hold the diamond:

Cobra99

Rough_Rock
@Karl_K And here a video in front of a orange/red background during daylight.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Leakage doesn't look extreme its normal while tilting for some virtual facets go thru a phase of drawing light from the pavilion. The key is not face up and not for long.
The thing I am not seeing in the videos is the diamond dancing as its rotated.
When rocked side to side you should see the rectangular areas flash on and off and walk the light across the stone.
Are you seeing that in person? The videos are not showing it putting on a great show but that partly could be because of the camera.

Cobra99

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your feedback @Karl_K The light is not ideal in the videos, however I am also missing the sparkle / flashing when moving the stone… I will take the diamond to my local goldsmith next week and ask him what he thinks. I have a 30 day return policy, but let‘s see.

I went to Harry Winston on the weekend and had a look at their rings. Man are they beautiful! But their prices are utterly insane. They showed me a 1,7 carat for 60k USD and a 1.01 carat for 25k USD. They also showed me the 4 carat which was 220 k USD :-oThis is just insane. But I am convinced it must be possible to get a similar ring made by an experienced goldsmith with a lab grown Emerald cut… This is my goal basically.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are many people in the trade who do not have the first clue about what a good EC should look like.
Good ones are hard to find.

Cobra99

Rough_Rock
I had a rather positive impression when I saw this 360 video, and this plus the GIA report was enough for me to be convinced it is a good EC…

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I know this is bigger than you want, and I’m not an expert so I don’t know if this is a good EC or not, but AlexParkAntique Always seem to have pretty nice stones.
This looks like it flashes nicely. I don’t see that with your stone. Maybe it’s the lighting, IDK.

Cobra99

Rough_Rock
Here one final video with proper light. I think especially in the end of the video you can see the stone well. What do you think?

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results