shape
carat
color
clarity

Received CAD Renders....seeking suggestions (New to PS)

ainad

Rough_Rock
Hello!

I just received the first renders back from our jeweler. We are using a 2.6 carat Emerald (G/VS2) and .41 carat baguettes (G/VVS2). In the CADS the shank pave is beadset, however the artist made a mistake- it is supposed to be micropave. The baguettes are 5*2mm, and the shank will be 2mm as well for a more streamlined/cohesive look. I am not sure what size diamonds well be using, but I know the diamonds in the basket/gallery will be 1mm (these are supposed to be pave as well). The entire ring will be Platinum, and the jeweler will replace any lost melee stones for free (I live about 20 minutes away). How can this design be improved, either for aesthetic or durability purposes (pave has to stay)?

ring_cad_2.jpg

ring_cad.jpg

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It look super pretty to me. While I am not an expert, I would change the bottom of the basket. It sits quite squarely in your finger and you will have a gap with a band if you want to wear one with it. I had a similar setting with tapered bags and I had a tough time finding a band to work for me.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
beadset is micropave. It's brightcut micropave.

This will help you;

setting_styles.png

ainad

Rough_Rock
image_4470.jpg

Updated CAD, I think the basket holding the center stone isa little bulky/boxy. Thoughts or suggestions?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like beadset pave 1000 times more with this particular ring design. I do not think the other looks nearly as good.

And yes, the whole head needs to be altered unless you do not ever plan to wear a wedding band with it. Will try to find an example of how it should be done.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ainad|1478878726|4096976 said:
image_4470.jpg

Updated CAD, I think the basket holding the center stone isa little bulky/boxy. Thoughts or suggestions?

Ugh, go with the beadset. This doesnt look good to me.

Skhii

Shiny_Rock
What are the dimensions of your emerald?
I would stick with the original brightcut pave (1st CAD). You can compare real-life examples.

VC Azi Round Trilogy with Tapered Baguettes
49_1.jpg
versus LM r221 (Ignore the side pave and milgrain.)
file.jpg

See if your jeweler can have the baguettes groove set (ex: 1, 2). https://www.victorcanera.com/blog/three-stone-engagement-ring-design-advice
Otherwise, small claw prongs are fine.The basket and gallery can be improved to look sleeker. I would have the prongs tapered, with the top of the prongs being thicker and getting thinner as it tapers downward. See Mayk's reset below to compare.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-reset.215340/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-reset.215340/[/URL]
_33218.jpg

Is it important to the wearer to have the wedding band sit flush? As it is, there will be a large gap between rings. Have the prongs curved inward as much as possible to reduce the boxiness of the basket and allow a closer fit. You can view different styles of tapered baguette settings here (notice how the prongs curve inward): [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-7ct-emerald-cut-in-temp-solitaire-setting.226105/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-7ct-emerald-cut-in-temp-solitaire-setting.226105/page-2[/URL]
_888.jpg
20120908_124816.jpg
img_8945_zpsdppqbec8.jpg

Skhii

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I prefer to have the shank meet the baguettes at a curve rather than straight on, and/or for the cut out areas to not end at the same point as where the shank meets the baguette (integrated instead of attached shank). To me, that kind of visual transition makes it look like the shank flows into the sidestones, resulting in a cohesive ring rather than one that is a sum of its parts. Examples of ring galleries (pay attention to the shank and cutouts):
1_481.jpg
2_251.jpg
2b_2.jpg
2c.jpg
3_186.jpg
4_111.jpg
5_69.jpg

In contrast to Harry Winston, Graff, Bulgari, and Van Cleef & Arpels, respectively:
rgdpec010tb_252991_2_masked.png
graff_emerald_baguette_ring.png
bulgari_griffe_ring_emerald_cut.jpg
van_cleef_and_arpels_emerald_baguette_ring.png

Also, I like baguettes that taper more. Again, this is totally up to the wearer's preference.
Compare the ring second from the right to the one in the middle.
maevona_baguette_tapers.jpg

ainad

Rough_Rock
image_4473.jpg

This is how the profile looks, I think it matches what you're saying where the shank and baguettes meet at a curve? My gf hand picked the wider baguettes, so I think she prefers the less tapered look.

ainad

Rough_Rock
My gf really loved the micropave so I think she'd be a little disappointed if I did the beadset (she hates Bradley). The band will be 1.7-1.8mm with 1.7mm melee (5-7) on each side. I know you run the risk of losing stones under 2mm so we decided to do platinum to help make a little more secure, and the jeweler has indicated that they will replace any missing melee free of charge. Great point on the prongs needing to be tapered! I think that would help reduce the bulkiness, I've already made requests to have the basket more tapered...I'll include this ask as well. Is Groove set as secure as prong set on the baguettes?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get her what she wants.

With that in mind. I really find that pave unflattering in this design.

Everything is so angular. The baguettes, the emerald...the strait edge pave would compete the overall look.

This new pave just looks like pave for paves sake.

Skhii

Shiny_Rock
What are the emerald dimensions (L x W x D) and your gf's ring size?

It sounds like your girlfriend is involved in making her ring, so perhaps you can discuss together and show her the all the options (pavé, baguette shape, tapering, profiles, etc.) because we do not know what her vision is. (I forgot to include the link to the Azi ring video to show the cut down pavé.) Are the gallery melee going to be cut down pavé as well?

A 1.7 mm pavé shank is extremely thin, even for a hand-forged ring, much less a cast one. The thinner the shank is at the top, the thicker its depth should be. Also, ring size also plays a factor in sturdiness. Smaller rings are less likely to bend.

I have not heard of any problems with groove setting, but others can chime in. If your ring is going to be cast, prongs might be better. Discuss it with your jeweler. IMO, the shank does not look integrated with the diamonds. It resembles the HW and Graff rings, but this may be her preference!

There are many threads that discuss the properties of cast jewelry, delicacy of pavé types, why hand forging is advantageous for pavé, consequences of thin rings, etc. I will link some of these posts (Kudos to Gypsy for writing some of them! :wavey:) to help you and your gf decide.

Merits and limitations of casting (and hand forging)
1a
1b
1c
1d

Pavé characteristics
2a
2b
2c
2d
2e

How ring thinness affects durability
3a
3b
3c
3d

ainad

Rough_Rock
The stones dimensions are 9.06*6.78, shes a size 7.5.The Azi ring is actually pretty close to her initial vision, however she is now open to doing bright cut pave(single sided w/ possible milgrain ). We are actually removing the meele in the gallery from the baguettes, and will only have it around the center stone. We were sent the second draft of our renders today....please let me know your thoughts (she actually prefers the prong set baguette vs groove setting)

ring_cad_4.jpg

ring_cad_3.jpg

Skhii

Shiny_Rock
The photos are a little small, but the ring looks pretty, and much better than the original version. Is your girlfriend pleased with how everything is (basket shape, height of emerald, etc.)? I can't tell the measurements from your CAD, but did you guys increase the width of the shank? For a 7.5 ring, I highly recommend a 2-mm shank at minimum.

ainad

Rough_Rock
She wants to taper the basket in further and possibly remove the gallery pave from the baguettes.We go in tomorrow to try on the wax, and were advised to hold off on changing the height of the center stone until we see it on her finger.

The shank is 1.7mm b/c she wants the baguette to taper into the stone. The baguettes she loved (that also fit our budget) weren't very wide at the tapered end. Any ideas on how me can alter the design to get a wider shank?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results