shape
carat
color
clarity

receipt does not match certificate

lmarielmm

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Last week my fiance and I went stone/ring shopping at Shane Co. I ended up chosing a 1.71 G color si3 princess cut stone. the stone was priced at 9500.

I love my ring...but felt compelled to research more after this purchase ( I should have before) I knew there was "feathering" but noticed it alot more with my naked eye after purchase...after researching grades I learned that for some the si3 is not a true rating.

I then looked at my paperwork and realized that the certificate is from EGLI showing what I described above.

Then I looked at the receipt and noticed it says EGLI: ; G 1.71CT SHANE: I-1; I 1.71CT

Does anyone know why the receipt would be different than the certifcate? I now feel like I was mislead and may have overpaid. I love my ring, but how can I know what it really is? I do not want to return it, but I am curious to know what it would rate on the GIA or EGL scale. It seems as though no one else uses the EGLI but shane co.

Does this mean my stone may be I1, I by another standard?

Should I be concerned? Do you think I have recourse to maybe get the price down if I did overpay with out losing my ring?

Is the certificate good for insurance?

Thank you!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I would return your diamond and go get something of better quality for the same price. Go look at whiteflash.com, they have numerous princess cuts in your price range and much better clarity and cut.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lknvrb4|1420201004|3810806 said:
I would return your diamond and go get something of better quality for the same price. Go look at whiteflash.com, they have numerous princess cuts in your price range and much better clarity and cut.

+1. Very good advice!

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
refund refund refund!

simplesimon

Rough_Rock
The lack of transparency and information asymmetry is incredible for diamond purchases. I've learned that for complete peace of mind, I needed to know everything there was to know about what I was purchasing.

If you don't want to return it but want to know what your diamond really is, it may be worth paying for a reputable, independent gemologist to look at it for you. I don't know if or how consumers get AGS and GIA certification on their own. Someone else may be better at answering that question.

I'm not sure what recourse you would have other than to try to return it for a full refund. You can try negotiating by showing your jeweler the prices you're able to get elsewhere, but your money's already in their hands so your leverage is pretty low.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A couple of FYIs:
* EGLI stands for European Gemological Laboratory International (a different consortium of labs than EGL USA, a distinctly separate operation), and Shane is definitely not alone in selling stones with EGLI reports (Shane does offer stones with reports from other labs, including the well regarded GIA and AGS labs).

Shane candidly acknowledges on its own web site that EGLI grades loosely; more specifically, EGLI "consistently grades diamonds 2 to 2.5 total grades higher than GIA. For example, a difference in color of one grade higher + a difference in clarity of one grade higher = a two-grade higher difference."
http://www.shaneco.com/Jewelry-Education/Diamond-Certificates.htmx
In your case, the receipt suggests that Shane considers the stone to be I1; who knows whether that's because Shane doesn't believe that SI3 is a legit classification or because Shane decided the nature-extent of its inclusions merits an I-1 grade even under a scale that embraces SI3.

The loose standards prompted RapNet this fall to refuse to list any diamonds with EGLI or EGL USA reports & EGLI recently announced it's shuttering its doors for the time being as it "reorganizes":
http://www.jckonline.com/2014/12/03/egl-international-shutting-down-network-reorganizes-2

* Neither GIA nor AGS will grade mounted diamonds, e.g., your ring; they grade only loose stones, and AGS does not accept loose stones from consumers -- the stone must be submitted by a jeweler or manufacturer who has established an account with the AGS lab. You could have the ring evaluated by an independent appraiser with an eye to asking Shane for a partial refund if the appraisal report is more damning, but wouldn't it better to return the ring & start over -- or are you wanting to keep the ring because it already has sentimental value?

lmarielmm

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all the info and that article especially.

Yes this ring has become sentimental to me although I have only owned it a little over a week. However the fact this certificate is of little value, the amount of $ spent and all the second thoughts...I am beginning to lean towards returning the ring and taking time out to really educate myself before trying again.

I was happy with my purchase....love my ring. I was able to view my stone loose...along with the others. but I was never explained the various grading systems and the differences in using one opposed to the other and I just have this feeling like had I known I would not have chosen this stone.

do you guys recommend any particular website? I know my BIL used blue nile...i just dont like the idea of not being able to hold the stone and compare.

My fiance and I have been together for 9 years...we have 3 kids and this was a bit of a splurge. I do want and need a value and I can't help but feel this was not a good one.

I will be calling them today....that article was extremely helpful and will be my main arguing point.

I'll let you guys know what happens.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
lmarielmm|1420214247|3810862 said:
Thank you for all the info and that article especially.

Yes this ring has become sentimental to me although I have only owned it a little over a week. However the fact this certificate is of little value, the amount of $ spent and all the second thoughts...I am beginning to lean towards returning the ring and taking time out to really educate myself before trying again.

I was happy with my purchase....love my ring. I was able to view my stone loose...along with the others. but I was never explained the various grading systems and the differences in using one opposed to the other and I just have this feeling like had I known I would not have chosen this stone.

do you guys recommend any particular website? I know my BIL used blue nile...i just dont like the idea of not being able to hold the stone and compare.

My fiance and I have been together for 9 years...we have 3 kids and this was a bit of a splurge. I do want and need a value and I can't help but feel this was not a good one.

I will be calling them today....that article was extremely helpful and will be my main arguing point.

I'll let you guys know what happens.

Take a photo of the ring you have now and also post your budget. If there is anything you don't like about the current setting, call those details out.

Folks here will be able to find you some options, based on that information.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results