shape
carat
color
clarity

Reasonable budget for hand forged setting?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm looking at resetting my engagement stone and I'd love to go with a hand forged setting from Leon, Victor, or Steven.

What I'm looking for is a platinum three stone with trap sides. Basically a remake of the setting below. My center is a 1.62 asscher, E, IF, VG cut (also attached). I'm thinking F-G and down to a VS2 for sides would be ok.

Budget is $3k-$4k. Is this an unreasonably low budget for this project? Give it to me straight. I want to adjust my expectations if I have to so I don't waste anyone's time.

_13093.jpg

_13094.jpg

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement HH :))

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think that you might be able to do it with your budget....traps are relatively expensive though. I'd just request a couple of quotes and see if it's within your budget. Good luck!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maisie|1388198873|3581611 said:

Hi Maisie, thanks! So nice to see you :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa! What great news! So happy to hear that! :appl:

I think $3k including the diamonds is probably too low. But I would think it might could be done for closer to $4k. I'd get quotes from Victor Canera, Steven Kirsch, and maybe Engagement Rings Direct. It will be interesting to hear how the quotes turn out!

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
I just looked at exceldiamonds.com for their matched traps and for pairs under .30 tcw will cost under 800 I think (to give you an idea on sidestone cost). That would leave you around 3200 for the mount which I think for VC, SK, or LM may be on the low side. My quote for a similar ring from SK (but with baguettes) was over 6000 but my baguettes would have been at least double tcw of your traps. For a simple 3 stone I went hand forged by ERD and it looks identical to one made by LM. I still have to post comparison pics but ERDs hand forger also makes pieces for Harry Winston. I'm very pleased with the workmanship and highly recommend them if the big 3 are out of your price ramge. Ive compared my ring to a HW and cannot tell the difference. I'm pretty sure it will be within your budget. Someone recently had ERD set a colored stone with traps. It was beautiful (do a search on SMTB) sorry I'm on my phone and can't do it for you.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Hi there! Congrats on your engagement too! :) I recently had a zircon 3 stone with traps (slightly thinner ones) done by the ERD CAD team and it turned out quite nicely. Claw prongs and all! I wouldn't strike them off the list but you could always inquire about their hand forged bench. Otherwise I think the CAD route with ERD would be right in your budget. Chris also did an excellent job at choosing traps based on the inspiration pictures I gave him.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/meet-water-lily-my-art-deco-love.194065/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/meet-water-lily-my-art-deco-love.194065/[/URL]

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask all for quotes but I think Victor, Leon and Steven are all going to more expensive than that and I also don't think they will take sidestones from you they prefer to select their own. Try ERD, and also DBL have some nice looking settings with sidestones as well, no idea how much it would be from there, but it never hurts to ask.

Grace from JBEG made a pretty darn nice looking 5 stone with an Asscher a few months ago;

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/SignatureSettingsPortfolio/Plain-and-Pave-Solitaires/Asscher-5-Stone-with-Traps-and/30088907_5cv4sz#!i=2586417053&k=Dqc3gCV

The JBEG girls are usually quite well priced and if you show them pics they could possibly give you a quote and make something in budget as well.

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
I gave you an estimate of what the percentage of your budget would go to sidestones so that you could get a better feeling of whether or not the big 3 would be in your budget. I did not suggest that you should bring in your own sidestones. I think their solitaires start around 3-4k already based on my experience but it would depend on the metal you choose, your ring size and your stone size.

Just ask them for a quote. It's easy...but the quote may not be difinitive until sidestones are sourced. I believe that was the reason why I couldnt get quotes from VC or LM when I asked them. They may not have the right sized matched pairs in hand and would have to call around for them (there are special dealers who specialize in matched pairs) before a hard quote can be given. Proportions are key in a 3 stone ring. ERD called 5 matched pair dealers for me and I had 3 samples for me to look at with prices up to $1500 difference. Perhaps you will be less OCD than me and just trust your bench to choose the stones.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hudson_Hawk|1388201391|3581647 said:
Maisie|1388198873|3581611 said:

Hi Maisie, thanks! So nice to see you :wavey:

Feels like years since we've spoken. I'm so happy to see you. I can't wait to see your new ring :))

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Leon, VC and SK will all be over 4k.

Check with ERD and Jbeg. I personally would go with ERD as oustide of LM and SK he has the best proportions.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't forget Maytal; her prices are very competitive.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone!

Quotes have started to come in and ya'll were spot on with your estimates. Which is great. Like I said, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to totally low ball them and inadvertently insult someone in the process! But things look good to move forward once we have the center stone back from BN (we're returning the existing setting).

So stay tuned!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hudson_Hawk|1388440745|3583302 said:
Thanks everyone!

Quotes have started to come in and ya'll were spot on with your estimates. Which is great. Like I said, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to totally low ball them and inadvertently insult someone in the process! But things look good to move forward once we have the center stone back from BN (we're returning the existing setting).

So stay tuned!!

Awesome!!! Can't wait to see it!

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
How exciting! Can't wait to see the new ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results