shape
carat
color
clarity

Really confused on how it all works (buying diamonds online)

Volfan4life87

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone, very new to the site. I'll try to spill all the beans very succinctly here.

I've got a few months to get my girlfriend an engagement ring. My out the door budget is $5,000. Would love to only spend around $4,000. We're saving for a house, I'm about to have LASIK done in two days, and we're going to Florida in June - so the budget is not very flexible to say the least!

My girlfriend has been looking online to best determine what "style" of engagement ring she wants. She had been eyeballing halo settings with cushion cut or round cut center-stones on Pinterest. She was adamant about seeing how it looked on HER hand though, so we went this past weekend to Shane Co. (a friend of mine gave it good reviews).

After spending several hours there she really fell in love with this particular ring...
http://www.shaneco.com/Jewelry-Cata...ent-Rings/Halo/Product-Detail.aspx?X=41049745

...with this particular diamond as the center-stone:
http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?rep...ename=GIA/Dispatcher&c=Page&cid=1355954554547

The price tag for the combined above is around $5,000 @ Shane Co. All I want is for her to be happy and she likes this ring/diamond. I wanted to shop around and see if I could get something even better for her (now that I knew what she was looking for) within my budgetary constraints.

Boy this website sure opened my eyes to just how complicated buying an engagement ring can be! :o

It appears that buying online is the way to go (best value for $) but I'm not sure how it works and while perusing the site I didn't really see a 'how-to-guide' on online purchasing.

If I buy a loose diamond online from a vendor, and a ring from XYZ B&M shop, who sets & warranties the diamond in the ring?
Are there reputable places online that have good deals on diamonds who also perform the setting for you (one-stop-shop)?

My primary concern is her happiness. I want to get a great performing diamond in the setting she desires without going over budget. The larger I can get the diamond (to fill out the halo and make it appear as one large diamond) without sacrificing performance, the better. Any and all advice is much appreciated. Thanks so much!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Really confused on how it all works (buying diamonds onl

You are very wise to find out exactly what she likes, and then get the best possible quality at the lowest possible price! That diamond is not a good one and is definitely overpriced! Fortunately for you, that is a common setting, so the best thing to do is to buy a diamond and setting at an online jeweler out of state.

I will take a look and will be back.

Volfan4life87

Rough_Rock

I should add that in reviewing diamonds and the 4 C's...

Color - She could not tell the difference between J & H, side by side. I think this C is the least of our concern.

Clarity - To the naked eye, the difference between SI2 & VS1-VS2 to her wasn't noticeable.

Carat - Looking for 0.7 - 1 ct

Cut - Obviously the most important factor, yet the most difficult (to an amateur) to quantify.

My personal preference - I would love to find a diamond in the VS1-VS2 range, J-G color with excellent/ideal cut (HCA <2)

I just honestly don't know how ordering online would work and am obviously fearful of getting scammed.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gabriel and Co makes nice halo settings, and Good Old Gold sells that brand as well as excellent quality diamonds.

http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER9319W44JJ

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11994/

This combination would include a nicer diamond than the one she looked at, plus come in around $4200. They can get other diamonds if that is not what you want (like I color, perhaps), but it is a nice stone at a nice price as you can see compared to the one at Shane.

Now going to look for another option.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock

Here's my suggestion -

Call Jon at Good Old Gold and have him find a setting for this stone:

.8ct, J, SI1
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11994/

Send him the picture of the setting you like and he'll work with you to find something that works.

That leaves more than enough for a high-quality setting, while still hitting the low-end of your budget.

You'll end up with a top-quality stone, in a great setting, with a solid Lifetime Guaranteed, in case you ever decide to upgrade years down the road.

Best of luck!

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock

DS just beat me to it!

Definitely look at that stone!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lol! That is funny!!!!

I think Gabriel is going to be the best setting for your purposes. They make another one almost just like the one I already posted if you want to add a little more diamond weight to the setting.

http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER8267W44JJ

If you are ready to buy, I'd reserve that stone. But if not, when you are ready, they can call in a couple of stones for you, show them to you in a video if you want, and then they order the setting and have the diamond set. So the ring is sent to you completed.

Volfan4life87

Rough_Rock

Wow, thanks everyone for the prompt responses! That diamond will definitely perform better, for cheaper! :D

If I purchased the stone and went with one of the two settings, again who would actually set the stone and deliver to me a whole engagement ring, ready for me to set down on one knee? =)

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock

If you go through GOG for the stone they will get the setting from Gabriel and set it for you, put it in a pretty box, send it off to you with all the papers and everything. They are great to work with. They did my pear Ering and band!
One stop shopping at its finest
Good luck

Volfan4life87

Rough_Rock

Thanks for all the informative responses - exactly what I was hoping for! I'll be sure to follow up with my purchase experiences.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Good Old Gold is a family owned jewelry store in Long Island, NY. They operated for years before they had a website. I have bought from them multiple times and have never been to the store (although I hope to visit there eventually!).

Believe it or not, my son-in-law's brother contacted me a few days ago because he was ready to buy an engagement ring, and his budget was similar to yours. He also showed me settings his girlfriend liked, and she wanted a very similar setting except for princess cut! So ironically, I helped him find a Gabriel setting and GOG had a .75 princess cut, and he called to order the ring just yesterday! So I am not giving you advice that I don't also give my own family!

There are other outstanding jewelers here than I recommend, too, but for the particular item you want, I think this is your best bet. It is hard to beat Gabriel settings at this price point. (In addition, GOG has a lifetime upgrade policy on diamonds, so if you ever wanted to get her a larger or different shape diamond in the future, you could get exactly what you paid for this stone towards a new one. But a larger stone usually means a larger setting, unfortunately! I know upgrading is the last thing on the mind of someone buying an e-ring, but it is there for you if for any reason she wants a change later!)

Volfan4life87

Rough_Rock

I note that the width of the diamond is 5.97 mm & the head size for this setting: http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER9319W44JJ is 5.75mm. Will the two fit together?

The diamond doesn't have a GIA report number shown, but it has plenty of other more pertinent parameters shown.

I think it's past closing time on the east coast, so I shot an email to Jon and hope to speak with him tomorrow.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's the default size. I'm sure they can make it in your size. They may consider it custom. Good thing to ask.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock

Some of the Ritani settings may fit your budget and style requirements, too.

Volfan4life87

Rough_Rock

Just wanted to provide you all with an update. I'm typing via mobile so please excuse any shorthand or typos.

I called Shane Co to cancel the layaway and the sales representative my gf and I worked with called me back very quickly :) They would like for me to come into the store and have the opportunity to show me more diamonds. They claim they won't be beaten by the competition, price wise.

It'll be a few weeks before I have time to go in to see them because I'm having LASIK tomorrow - my question to you all is what tools or information should I arm myself with prior to going into that store again? I would personally love to buy a ring from them in lieu of Internet shopping, but I'm not going to get ripped off.

I'd also like to know what sort of ways they may attempt to poke holes in the diamond recommended in this thread (which is a beautiful diamond) if they attempt to "narrow the gap" between their poor performing diamond and this beautiful one recommended by you all.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock

Volfan4life87|1396548546|3646717 said:
Just wanted to provide you all with an update. I'm typing via mobile so please excuse any shorthand or typos.

I called Shane Co to cancel the layaway and the sales representative my gf and I worked with called me back very quickly :) They would like for me to come into the store and have the opportunity to show me more diamonds. They claim they won't be beaten by the competition, price wise.

It'll be a few weeks before I have time to go in to see them because I'm having LASIK tomorrow - my question to you all is what tools or information should I arm myself with prior to going into that store again? I would personally love to buy a ring from them in lieu of Internet shopping, but I'm not going to get ripped off.

I'd also like to know what sort of ways they may attempt to poke holes in the diamond recommended in this thread (which is a beautiful diamond) if they attempt to "narrow the gap" between their poor performing diamond and this beautiful one recommended by you all.

There's no way Shane Co will match the quality of the GOG option. They don't have access to the same stones (so there's no way they can compete from a price-perspective), and they don't have access to the same settings/bench as GOG.

They will just be using sales techniques to get you to buy something from them. That is why they want you to come to the store. They know they've lost the sale, and are trying any last ditch effort to get your money.

Stand firm and don't be swayed by salespeople.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

RockyRacoon|1396551846|3646764 said:
Volfan4life87|1396548546|3646717 said:

There's no way Shane Co will match the quality of the GOG option. They don't have access to the same stones (so there's no way they can compete from a price-perspective), and they don't have access to the same settings/bench as GOG.

They will just be using sales techniques to get you to buy something from them. That is why they want you to come to the store. They know they've lost the sale, and are trying any last ditch effort to get your money.

Stand firm and don't be swayed by salespeople.

Really good advice, RR! :))

OP, the stone from GOG is a great one at a better price than you'll find at a chain/mall store. :))

Volfan4life87

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the follow up advice. They were very helpful and respectable and I have to cancel layaway in person, so figured I'd take a look. Honestly, I showed some of the settings recommended here to my gf and she really prefers the Shane Co setting (larger diamonds on the halo). I plan on giving the folks at GOG a call to see if they can just get the Shane Co setting for me

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is a very common setting style. GOG can probably get 20 different ones. They would not get one from Shane, but likely they can get one similar that is better quality. That Shane setting page does not even give the diamond quality. GOG carries many setting lines. I just showed you ones that I could easily find.

I would go in as soon as possible to cancel the layaway. They could price their stones competitively in the first place if they wanted to. GOG is transparent and gives you their lowest price on the webpage. I would show up and cancel the layaway and tell them I have bought something else. I know how it is because I looked at diamonds locally, too, when we were getting my anniversary diamond. But GOG blew them out of the water on price and quality. You already gave the a chance, and now you have found there are better options out there.

Well, wait a sec. The second setting I linked for you has more diamond weight than the Shane setting. Yes, it costs more, but it is very likely that Gabriel uses higher quality diamonds than Shane. Many inexpensive settings use I1 clarity diamonds, for example.

Volfan4life87

Rough_Rock

I could not tell a significant difference between the Gabriel settings and Shane Co settings but my gf could - she likes for the individual diamonds on the halo to be larger (3-4 to each side) so I learned more about what she wants through this exercise. I will relay that GOG and see what they can find. Apologize for any typos - my eyes are dilated lol. What a time to be looking at diamonds!!

Volfan4life87

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Volfan4life87|1396570447|3646939 said:
Just for curiosity & learning sake, how would these two diamonds compare?

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3061807.htm?source=pricescope

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11994/ - diamond recommended in this thread

Again, I'm most interested in the diamond you all have recommended but to me (lay person) these two are very similar - so I wanted to see what the experts had to say :)

I have bought diamonds from both WhiteFlash and Good Old Gold, and I would say that those two diamonds are close enough to make a nice matched pair of studs! The main reason I posted the GOG diamond was because they carry halo settings that will fit your budget. I looked at WF and their thought you'd have to go a good bit higher for your setting because it might have to be custom made. You'd have to make something like this one with a cushion shaped halo:

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/amphora-diamond-engagement-ring-1039.htm

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Okay, just had another thought. WF can order this one from Ritani. It is just not on their (WF) site:

http://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/french-set-halo-diamond-band-engagement-ring-in-14kt-white-gold/6113

This is a beautiful halo. It is far better made than the Shane ring. if you look at the shane ring, there are no diamonds in the corners of the halo! That is not attractive at all. The Ritani has diamonds all the way around the halo. I like it soo much more than the Shane ring. I am sure GOG can order the Ritani or a similar one, too. But I did want to add this setting because it is an excellent quality setting.

Volfan4life87

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1396571296|3646952 said:
Okay, just had another thought. WF can order this one from Ritani. It is just not on their (WF) site:

http://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/french-set-halo-diamond-band-engagement-ring-in-14kt-white-gold/6113

This is a beautiful halo. It is far better made than the Shane ring. if you look at the shane ring, there are no diamonds in the corners of the halo! That is not attractive at all. The Ritani has diamonds all the way around the halo. I like it soo much more than the Shane ring. I am sure GOG can order the Ritani or a similar one, too. But I did want to add this setting because it is an excellent quality setting.

Thanks for all the input - and it's good to see that the two diamonds are quite comparable. I guess I'm learning a little bit from this site already haha.

It's funny you bring up that setting because I found a ritani exactly like that except it was platinum. They're both exquisite and I agree, far more beautiful than Shane Co's setting. This whole process was terrifying at first but feeling armed with more knowledge makes it quite exciting!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is excellent to hear!!! Trust me, we were all new here once and had to learn, too! But once you really learn about quality diamonds (and settings), you can never really go backward! The Ritani setting can be ordered in platinum, and probably 14k or 18k white gold. I prefer platinum if the price is not too much higher, but that will vary depending on the brand of setting. Gold is so high now that there isn't the gap in price that there used to be, but 14k is less because it is 58% gold and the rest alloy. Platinum is 90-95% platinum.

Volfan4life87

Rough_Rock

So I think I will likely be going with the diamond mentioned in this thread, and this particular setting:

My preference for this type of setting would be platinum, but there is about a $950 difference in 14K WG vs PL that is a budget buster. I don't mind busting the budget by several hundred if it means the smaller stones on the halo setting are more secure.

I know platinum vs white gold has been played out here, but on this particular setting what would you all recommend? My greatest concern is the security of the smaller stones and my limited understanding is that platinum would be more secure.

GOG has been GREAT to work with, Jonathan & Stephanie have been marvelous.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results