shape
carat
color
clarity

Reading

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
In a conversation with a good friend last night we were talking about books that we pick up and re-read over the years. Mine have been Atlas Shrugged and Pride and Prejudice for some reason they seem to take on a whole new meaning and can be applied to more current situations everytime that I read it...What are your 'go to' books that you pick up and dive back into every so often?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
There are quite a few for me - my "comfort" books. I cycle through them about once a year or so.

Harry Potter.
Vorkosigan series - Lois McMaster Bujold.
Anne of Green Gables series.
Little House on the Prairie series.
Old Man's War series - John Scalzi.
Enchanted Forest Chronicles - Patricia Wrede.
Dies the Fire series - S.M. Stirling.

There are a few more, but mostly it's books where I just feel like rereading them is coming back to a nice, familiar, comfy place :)

And as you can tell, I read and reread a lot.

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I haven't even thought about Anne of Green Gables, I used to read those a lot.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I have several

Watership Down
Lord of the Rings trilogy
Harry Potter
The Sword of Truth series
Under the Tuscan Sun
Little Women
Tom Sawyer

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
DF- Little Women is probably one of my favorite ones that I used to read as a kid. I totally adore the movie, too. LOL, I get teased because I could watch it all the time. :)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Strawdermangrl said:
I haven't even thought about Anne of Green Gables, I used to read those a lot.

I love Anne of Green Gables. It's just so innocent and light-hearted, and fun. Although the last book, Rilla of Ingleside, gets much heavier since it's set during WWI

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Strawder - if time, and my family permitted, I'd watch that movie every day.

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
dragonfly411 said:

HAHAH, Yeah! It was funny my buddy I was having this convo with last night was telling me that he can't really re-watch movies. I was like 'what!? I can...and do'. LOL, that would be one. I

B.E.G- I don't think I read the last one, I need to check it out- obviously. :)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Strawdermangrl said:
dragonfly411 said:

HAHAH, Yeah! It was funny my buddy I was having this convo with last night was telling me that he can't really re-watch movies. I was like 'what!? I can...and do'. LOL, that would be one. I

Do it! :) It's different and sadder since it's set during WWI, but a good read nonetheless. The protagonist is Anne's youngest daughter Rilla.

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
B.E.G. said:
Strawdermangrl said:
dragonfly411 said:

Do it! :) It's different and sadder since it's set during WWI, but a good read nonetheless. The protagonist is Anne's youngest daughter Rilla.

Going to check it out. LOL, got one of my guy friends to do a book club consisting of him and I. We are going to read 'The Fountainhead' by Ayn Rand first. Should be interesting to see what we both take from it. :)

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Strawdermangrl said:
In a conversation with a good friend last night we were talking about books that we pick up and re-read over the years. Mine have been Atlas Shrugged and Pride and Prejudice for some reason they seem to take on a whole new meaning and can be applied to more current situations everytime that I read it...What are your 'go to' books that you pick up and dive back into every so often?

Super choices!

Mine are 'The Fountainhead' by Ayn Rand and 'Right Ho, Jeeves' by P.G. Wodehouse. I have owned multiple copies of both these books and recently had to replace one of them because of it's poor condition!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Here are some I consistently go back to, though I know there are more. I love re-reading books.

Pride and Prejudice
Emma
Of Human Bondage
Lord of the Rings
Nicholas Nickleby
Catch-22

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Elrohwen said:
Here are some I consistently go back to, though I know there are more. I love re-reading books.

Pride and Prejudice
Emma
Of Human Bondage
Lord of the Rings
Nicholas Nickleby
Catch-22

Elrohwen- I LOVE Nicholas Nickleby.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Strawdermangrl said:
Elrohwen said:

Pride and Prejudice
Emma
Of Human Bondage
Lord of the Rings
Nicholas Nickleby
Catch-22

That's awesome! I've never met anyone else who has even read it. Have you seen the movie? I think it's so cute.

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Elrohwen said:
Strawdermangrl said:
Elrohwen said:

Pride and Prejudice
Emma
Of Human Bondage
Lord of the Rings
Nicholas Nickleby
Catch-22

That's awesome! I've never met anyone else who has even read it. Have you seen the movie? I think it's so cute.

Are you serious? We had to read a lot of Dickens in HS- :read: I haven't seen the movie, but I have a great bottle of wine and my couch has been waiting for me to spend some time with it. :) I will have to let you know what I think tomorrow.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
To Kill A Mockingbird

I reread books frequently, but I think those are the two I've read the most.

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
I just read The Fountainhead for the first time recently, and I already know it'll be on my repeat list!

Pride and Prejudice
Anne of Green Gables (I even have a porcelain doll of Anne. She was my childhood obsession)
The House of Mirth
The Once and Future King
The Great Gatsby
Mrs. Dalloway
The Bell Jar
Much Ado About Nothing (O that I had been writ down an ass! Bwahaha! Sorry. I think MAAN is really funny!)
The Crucible

Okay, my list is nerdy. :cheeky:

I'm sure there are more, but those were the most repeated by a landslide. I'm a regular repeater though. If I love it, I'll read it until it's practically memorized.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can watch a good movie over and over again, but for some reason, I don't make a habit of rereading books (and I love to read!). The ones I have read a few times though are Anne of Green Gables and To Kill a Mockingbird. I've also seen the movies multiple times. The other books I've read more than once are YA books (ones by Cynthia Voight, Lois Lowry, and Judy Blume) when I was younger.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Little House books
Piers Anthony's Blue Adept series
Stephen King, The Stand & Eyes of the Dragon
Robert R. McCammon, Swan Song
Dragonlance Chronicles

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
kama_s said:
Strawdermangrl said:

Super choices!

Mine are 'The Fountainhead' by Ayn Rand and 'Right Ho, Jeeves' by P.G. Wodehouse. I have owned multiple copies of both these books and recently had to replace one of them because of it's poor condition!

Kama- I am SO excited to read 'The Fountainhead' my buddy and I are starting it this coming Monday and are going to compare our thoughts every 2 chapters. LOL, we reference and chat about 'Atlas Shrugged' a lot so it will be fun to see what we both take from this one. I need to check out 'Right Ho, Jeeves' seems like maybe we have similar styles in books. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results