shape
carat
color
clarity

Read any good books lately?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Every once in a great while I read something that makes me sit back and go "wow!". (Unfortunately there's plenty of drivel in between - LOL!) Anyway, I just read "Kafka on the Shore" by Haruki Murakami and it was pretty amazing. I don't know a lot of people personally who do much interesting reading (I don't count the people who join book clubs and read whatever is on Oprah's Top 10 List - absolutely no offense meant) so I thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone else has read it and, most importantly, if you guys have read anything else *really* good lately.

Long story short, I'm getting to the point in the season where I'm out of stuff to read (the happy hubby and I go to a particular used book sale in the Chicago area every summer and stock up, but it's still a ways off this year... ) and I would love any suggestions.

Also, would be very interested in your favorite books. Mine is "Outside the Dog Museum" by Jonathan Carroll. Truly the most amazing words I've ever read on paper. It was out of print in this country for several years (I think I might have picked up the last copy in America at a used book sale for 25 cents - apparently not a big seller in this country!) but a genuinely fantastic work of writing.

Maybe we should start a PS book group!!!
28.gif

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Have you read "Marley and Me" yet? This is such a great book, anyone who loves thier dog will love this book. I think the subtitle is "Life and times with the world''s worst dog." Be forewarned, you will cry a river at the end when beloved Marley gets old and passes on . . .

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/30/2006 9:11:08 PM
Author:Dee*Jay
Every once in a great while I read something that makes me sit back and go ''wow!''. (Unfortunately there''s plenty of drivel in between - LOL!) Anyway, I just read ''Kafka on the Shore'' by Haruki Murakami and it was pretty amazing. I don''t know a lot of people personally who do much interesting reading (I don''t count the people who join book clubs and read whatever is on Oprah''s Top 10 List - absolutely no offense meant) so I thought I''d throw this out there and see if anyone else has read it and, most importantly, if you guys have read anything else *really* good lately.

Long story short, I''m getting to the point in the season where I''m out of stuff to read (the happy hubby and I go to a particular used book sale in the Chicago area every summer and stock up, but it''s still a ways off this year... ) and I would love any suggestions.

Also, would be very interested in your favorite books. Mine is ''Outside the Dog Museum'' by Jonathan Carroll. Truly the most amazing words I''ve ever read on paper. It was out of print in this country for several years (I think I might have picked up the last copy in America at a used book sale for 25 cents - apparently not a big seller in this country!) but a genuinely fantastic work of writing.

Dee*Jay,

I do not want to suggest that we can''t discuss books again, but I wanted to make you aware of a previous book discussion:

The Book Thread

Deb
34.gif

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
One of my best friends in the whole entire world is an author. Her name is Michelle Wildgen and the book is entitled "You''re Not You" and it came out yesterday. O Magazine called her astonishingly gifted and people gave the book 4 out of four stars.

It is good stuff.

I''d be up for a book club - even if we don''t pick her book as the first one!!

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
My friend just finished The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, and it reminded me of how much I LOVED it when I read it last year on vacation. I kept spontaneously bursting into tears for days afterwards.
31.gif
It was just unlike anything else I had ever read.

Nonfiction, I just finished Smashed by Koren Zailckas... she writes about her personal struggle with alcohol as a teenager and college student... really eye-opening and probably important for a parent to read.

For fun, light beach reading, I'm a fan of Marian Keyes and Jennifer Weiner... they both write "chick lit" a little more intelligently than some... and their books tend to be longer, so you're not wasting your money if you're a fast reader!

Other than that, I'm reading Research Methods in Applied Settings: An Integrated Approach to Design and Analysis. Unless mandatory for a 900-level research course in psychology, I do NOT recommend it... ugh.
32.gif

ETA -- I just started reading The Last Town on Earth by Thomas Mullen, about a small town in Washington state that seals itself off to the outside world during the Spanish Flu of 1918... really fascinating subject, given the current potential for a pandemic in today's world. The book won't be officially released until end of summer/early fall, but could be something to watch for if you're interested in the topic!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
{{{{{ Dee*Jay,

I do not want to suggest that we can't discuss books again, but I wanted to make you aware of a previous book discussion:

The Book Thread

Deb }}}}}

Oh, so sorry! Did not see this thread!

(And I can't seem to quote your post properly at the moment either... !)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
my most recent reading:

Running With the Demon (The Word and the Void Trilogy, Book 1)
by Terry Brooks

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0345422589/103-5528488-7272615?v=glance&n=283155

A Knight of the Word (The Word and the Void Trilogy, Book 2)

Waiting to get this one:

Angel Fire East (The Word and the Void Trilogy, Book 3)

They are a good 3-4 hour read of classic good vs evil and flawed heros
While the writing isnt the best the story is kicken.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Portoar, I LOVED Marley and Me, I always try to tell people to buy that book, or take mine. As for reading, I read everything. Honestly, anything I can get my hands on. I''m a real fan of "Chick Lit" (hey, they''re always quick, entertaining reads), but my favorite books are: "IT" by Stephen King (I read it first when I was 13, and have read it every year since), "Forever Amber" (Can''t remember the author), "Bag of Bones" by Stephen King, "Angela''s Ashes" by Frank McCourt (and the sequel, "Tis"), "Summer of Night" by Dan Simmons, and "Odd Thomas" by Dean Koontz. I know it seems like mostly horror, but these books aren''t really horror, it''s more meta-physical, with very sweet stories underneath. I really love all of David Sedaris'' books, and anything by Elizabeth Berg. One of my ultimate favorites is "Love Stories of WWII" by Larry King, it''s basically a collection of letter and pictures of couples who met and married at the start of WWII, and their stories. It really makes you want to live in a different time. I read about 5 books a week, so I always look for suggestions.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2006 11:24:26 AM
Author: AmberWaves
Portoar, I LOVED Marley and Me, I always try to tell people to buy that book, or take mine. As for reading, I read everything. Honestly, anything I can get my hands on. I''m a real fan of ''Chick Lit'' (hey, they''re always quick, entertaining reads), but my favorite books are: ''IT'' by Stephen King (I read it first when I was 13, and have read it every year since), ''Forever Amber'' (Can''t remember the author), ''Bag of Bones'' by Stephen King, ''Angela''s Ashes'' by Frank McCourt (and the sequel, ''Tis''), ''Summer of Night'' by Dan Simmons, and ''Odd Thomas'' by Dean Koontz. I know it seems like mostly horror, but these books aren''t really horror, it''s more meta-physical, with very sweet stories underneath. I really love all of David Sedaris'' books, and anything by Elizabeth Berg. One of my ultimate favorites is ''Love Stories of WWII'' by Larry King, it''s basically a collection of letter and pictures of couples who met and married at the start of WWII, and their stories. It really makes you want to live in a different time. I read about 5 books a week, so I always look for suggestions.

The black tower series by Stephen King is one of my favorites.
Iv read a ton of his books.
When working alone in a large factory with a lot of things that go bump and boom is not a good time to read his books!
needful things is another of my favorites of his.

Dean Koontz has some really good books too but some are yawners.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
the stand by Stephen King is another favorite the uncut addition is the only book that has taken me more than a week to read other than the Bible.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dale Brown is another of my favorites.
I just finished "battle born" its a kicken book for those that like military adventure stories with a high tech twist.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Storm - I'm also a Stephen King and Dean Koontz fan. For some reason, though, I always seem to read the scariest ones when my happy hubby is traveling and then I lie awake listening to things go "bump!" in the night!

For some reason the King book that really sticks with me is Gerald's Game. Maybe because it really *could* happen. No goofy ghoulies in clown suits or anything like that; just a potentially "real" situation that went horribly wrong!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I picked up ''Something Blue'' by Emily Giffin at the airport on my trip and it was great chick lit...I loved it. She has like 3 other books out so I am going to read those next...perfect for our trip to Palm Springs in August!!

I also read a Jennifer Weiner book that I picked up as well at the airport, which was pretty good called ''Goodnight Nobody'', but I liked the Emily book better.

Anyone have any other chick lit/vacation reads to suggest??

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Mara - Have you ever read anything by Marianne Keyes? or maybe it is Keys. She writes great vacation/chicklit...lucy sullivan is getting married; sushi for beginners and several others.

Great, quick reads.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Mara, you should read "Something Borrowed", Emily giffin''s FIRST book in the series with darcy and all them. Also, she has the next one coming out, Baby-Proof, in late July, lucky me since I''m on her list, I get a free autographed copy before the masses!
1.gif
Um, chick-lit.... anything Marian Keyes, Jane Green (love her books), Sophie Kinsella has a load of books that you''d love if you read Chick-lit, she has a shop-o-holic series that I just love...

Storm, I LOVED the Stand, absolutely loved it. I''m a Koontz fan, but you''re right, some are definite snoozes. I''ve read all Stephen King books, and The Stand, and the Dark Tower series really gets to me.
1.gif
If you guys like books like that, I absolutely reccomend "Summer of Night" by Dan Simmons, and the sequel (just came out) called "A Winter''s Haunting". Those books are just unable to be put down. I have read them 4 times each.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Amber, I wondered why there wasn''t more about Rachel and Dex in the Something Blue book!!!! Now I have to get Something Borrowed for sure...hehee. I was really intrigued by that whole Rachel Dex thing in this book.

I LOVE Sophie Kinsella''s Shopaholic books...isnt the one about the baby coming out soon? I will def check out the other authors too. Haven''t read the Undomestic Goddess yet either.

My problem is I read very quickly and so buying $10 books to read in 3 days is a total waste of $$. BAH! But I also am horrible about returning books to the library. Lose lose situation!

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~I read "Debutante Divorcee''" by Plum Sykes, and I thought it was a great book. Very fun to read!!!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Mara, I order the books I want to read from the library, because I also read so much I spent waaaaay too much on books. I''m also a lag when it comes to returning them, so I usually renew them online, which gives me another 3 weeks to return them, and order more!! Ooooh, I hope Sopie has the Shop-o-holic baby book due soon!! I loved undomestic goddess, it was catchy!
2.gif

CJS924

Shiny_Rock
Definitely loved Something Borrowed...I picked it up during our HM in NYC! I immediately had to read Something Blue. Kinsella definitely got me started on chicklit...the Undomestic Goddess is a fun read. Oh, and just started reading Marian Keyes. Fluff is great to take my mind off of my work and the seriousness of it all!

I also realy enjoyed Blood Memory by Greg Iles, although a bit long-winded. I tend to enjoy medical thrillers, murder mysteries, some horrors, and anything forensic in nature.

I hate to admit it, but I've picked up the really bad habit of trying to read several books concurrently...it so does not work. I can't help but crack a new one open though...

Marian Keyes - Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married & The Other Side of the Story
John Steinbeck - East of Eden
Jose Saramago - Blindness
Yann Martel - Life of Pi...I know, I know...gotta give this one time on it's own
Richard Firstman & Jamie Talan - Death of Innocents
Jeannine Kadow - Dead Tide

I really gotta stop buying them and just go to the library instead, but I totally can't help it.

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/31/2006 2:09:22 PM
Author: bling*diva*
~~I read ''Debutante Divorcee'''' by Plum Sykes, and I thought it was a great book. Very fun to read!!!
I can''t wait to read it. I loved her last one ''Bergdorf Blonds''.

I just read ''Don''t Make a Black Woman Take off Her Earrings'' by Medea. Actually, Tyler Perry wrote it from Medea''a point of view. Hilarious.
9.gif

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2006 4:01:20 PM
Author: moon river
Date: 5/31/2006 2:09:22 PM

Author: bling*diva*

~~I read ''Debutante Divorcee'''' by Plum Sykes, and I thought it was a great book. Very fun to read!!!
I can''t wait to read it. I loved her last one ''Bergdorf Blonds''.

I just read ''Don''t Make a Black Woman Take off Her Earrings'' by Medea. Actually, Tyler Perry wrote it from Medea''a point of view. Hilarious.
9.gif

~~I was thinking about getting that book, but wasn''t for sure...I think I may have to go pick that up now!!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Mara:

My favorite chick lit authors:

ANYTHING by: Jane Green, Carole Matthews, Jennifer Weiner, Anna Maxted, Sue Margolis(pulpy and trashy but funfunfun!!!)

Also very good: Sammy's Hill (by Kristin Gore, yes as in my boy Al's daughter), An Irish chicklit book by Morag Prunty (ETA: It's called "Wildcats and Colleens" although it was also released under the title "Dancing with Mules"--no idea why the title change. Very funny.), a book called "THe Reading Group" about a british book club, there's a fun (very upperwest side) novel called "was it something I said".....I've loaned some out so I am short on titles and authors.

I know there are others I need to remember. But those 5 authors I first mentioned are a good 20+ books right there.

OOH, there's a (kinda dated late 90s) book called Misadventures in the 213.

I like Helen Fielding but don't love Candace Bushnell.

ShopGirl is great.

Loved Man and Boy and the sequel (forget the title) and Nick Hornby's stuff.

LOVED Skinny Dip by Carl Hiassen---not my usual scene and it is just a hoot.

Dan Brown stuff is good beach reading, though I didn't like Deception Point as much as Da Vinci or Angels......

I never really got into Keyes or Kinsella....there are so many chicklit books though.

I liked Undomestic GOddess and have just now started reading the first Shopoholic book...honestly? I don't like it much. It might be that I'm too old or that I just can't handle the financial stuff in there but it makes me feel cringey in the same way that Nanny Diaries and Devil Wears Prada do--I have worked in enough thankless corporate underling type situations that those books just made me MISERABLE!!!! ETA: I finished the first Shopoholic book today and it definitely improved....maybe the financial irresponsibility stuff just is too real for me (hello, student debt!!) for me to really find it amusing...but the book improved as the character evolved. But I still hated the ending of Nanny Diaries and the Devil Wears Prada just reminded me of my old BOSS!

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
I like Carl Hiassen too, and read have most of his novels . . . also loved Helen Fieldings books Bridget Jones Diary and the second book, I forget what it''s called. I thought the second couldn''t possibly be as good as the first, but just about peed myself laughing so hard.

I like Dean Koontz too . . . loved Odd Thomas, it was poignant. Would love to read Forever Odd but haven''t gotten around to it.

In the mystery line . . . I like:

Tony Hillerman (4 Corners Native American mysteries),
Lawrence Block (the Matthew Scudder series),
Michael Connelly (the Harry Bosch series).

Have always loved Ann Tyler, have read quite a number of her books.

But #1 favority author . . . Jane Austen. Have read all of her novels several times over and have a Jane Austen movie collection (three versions of Pride and Prejudice alone).

tiffanytwisted

Brilliant_Rock
The Last Chance Saloon by Marian Keyes is also very good. Another chick lit author I enjoy is Meg Cabot, she actually penned the Princess Diaries under a different name. The Boy Next Door is a good one by her.
The Secret History by Donna Tartt is one of the best books I have ever read.
Patricia Cornwell is one of my favorite authors.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t read any Meg Cabot but I''d probably like her. I need to branch out my chick lit!

Patricia Cornwell is an alumna of my college!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
bought this one this evening after work and have read it twice allready.
Even when you know the ending its still a great read and the more times you read his books the more you pick up things that you miss the first 10 times.
I read atleast 70 of his books and most of them multiple times but that was close too 20 years ago.

milo talon

Think ill read it again tomorrow.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love Louis Lamour, but haven''t read any of his for a long time.

Larry McMurtry popped into my head last night. Mara, he might be good vacation reading for you. Not the cowboy type books (I still cry over Lonesome Dove!) but maybe the Texasville series or Cadillac Jack. Some of his stuff is so funny it makes you laugh out loud and there''s always a decent story line.

By the way, for any of you in the Chicago area the annual Brandeis Used Book Sale is coming up June 10-18 in the parking lot of Old Orchard Mall (Skokie, IL). Over 500,000 used books! My husband and I and stock up every year.

Saturday, June 10: 6pm-10pm
Sunday, June 11: 10am-9pm
Monday, June 12: 11am-8pm
Tuesday, June 13: 11am-8pm
Wednesday, June 14: 11am-8pm
Thursday, June 15: 11am-8pm
Friday, June 16: 11am-5pm
Saturday, June 17:6pm-10pm *BARGAIN WEEKEND (ALL BOOKS FOR 50c*)
Sunday, June 18 11am-5pm

I think there is a $5 charge to get in the first day, but it''s worth it (IMHO) because things are all organized and on the right tables, but after that it''s free. And there WILL be a line the first day, so you''ll have to take a lawn chair and a cold drink and wait it out.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
I''m reading The Magus, by John Fowles. so far it''s an interesting read.

Gracie1

Rough_Rock
Dee *Jay, I agree Gerald''s Game was such a good book, but scary, I actually had to put the book down at one point because I scared myself, I know sad. I also loved King''s Rose Madder, good book, could happen, until you get to the end then it gets unrealistic.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results