shape
carat
color
clarity

Re-using a halo for a slightly larger stone

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi, I am looking for an antique halo for my diamond. I found a halo with a bezeled, existing stone that is .9mm smaller in width than my diamond, and it’s also slightly taller In length. Has anyone ever fit a larger diamond into a smaller halo opening? I don’t mind if the diamond doesn’t sit flush with the opening (for example some setters set diamonds slightly higher in the halo than others). If you’ve done the reverse (smaller stone in larger opening) I also would like to hear your experience. Thoughts?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s easier to add a slightly smaller stone to a bigger setting because the prongs can be built up / a rim inserted. Not cheap but doable.
If the gem is bigger than the setting permits a jeweller might need to examine the setting.
.9 or almost 1mm is a lot in terms of settings.
The prongs have to cradle the girdle, so how far up and out do the prongs need to extend to permit that? It might be more than you think and will alter the aesthetic of the ring. It might also add more cost to the setting than you’re wanting to pay.
If it’s a family heirloom piece that might not matter but if you’re looking for a more cost friendly way of getting the halo look you desire, it mightn’t work out that way.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your observations Bron. I’m actually hoping to find an antique halo because I want real antique diamond cuts in the halo. I haven’t seen many newly made halos with authentic cuts, the ones I’ve seen have a story of sheer endurance and ingenuity in finding the stones. For example, RFisher’s sapphire ring. (fantastic)

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
From experience your stone will sit up higher and won't look right. There will be a lot of metal prong showing from the side and the halo will be obscured top down. Iwould opt to buy settings with halos for bigger stones, and then set my smaller center flush with the halo, but I like low set rings with airlines.

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
I always wonder myself about this, good to know. I have an antique halo and thought about upgrading the center diamond and the jeweler said no, the worker told me it would be bad karma for me to take out the original diamond. I said ok it stays how it is

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results