shape
carat
color
clarity

Re-cut or ?

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to say thanks so much for all of the replies! I am a little overwhelmed by this whole decision making process so I am taking a little break from from it. I will reply to your questions and comments soon.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A minor update:
I have spent a little time looking at the loose diamond in a ring stone holder and it looks so much better loose than it did in its old setting. It is an absolute disco ball in the sun :love: :love: and not too shabby inside, either. I changed my mind several times today alone regarding what to do with it.

I go from back and forth from:
  • Send it to BG for a recut.
  • It is beautiful enough, don't mess with it (not to mention that a recut would cost $1,251 which is a lot of money to me and would pay for a nice setting).
  • Hmm... maybe I could sell it and buy one of Bron's rubies if she puts them up for sale next year.
Selling it probably sounds sacrilegious considering it is an old family ring :evil2:, but my grandmother always wanted me to have a ruby. It is highly likely that I will keep it, though.

I see a little tint at certain angles and next to a 2 ct. CZ ring (which I would assume would be considered a D color), so I am not sure if I would like the contrast a halo would provide. I will need to take it in to a store where I can see it placed on top of some settings.

I am finding that the diamond does not look that huge anymore on my size 8 1/2 finger. DSS is real, folks! I used to think that 1 ct. was large - and I still do on you smaller fingered women - but on me 1 ct. looks more like a half ct. We need a "Size 7 and Up" AKA "Man hands" thread. :lol-2: It seems like 95% of PS's have tiny fingers.

I actually tried to keep this super brief, but I obviously failed. :silenced:

These are the best photos I took :wall:

In the sun:

In sun - cropped.jpg

In fluorescent lighting. It does not look that yellow to me in person:

In kitchen- cropped.jpg

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oooooooo, I'm in a similar boat to you, @kindred. I need to get mine appraised as well. I don't think mine will quite as nice out of the setting, however. I haven't heard that mine was ever recut, so mine will likely stay recut to a MRB.

I'm wondering, if the stone were recut to "better" proportions, how do you think that would change how you feel about your diamond? Like, would you feel it's now "worth" resetting/wearing, etc.? Or would you just have a better cut diamond?

If you like how it looks right now, IDK if it's worth $1200+ to risk recutting it. I'd rather put that $$ towards resetting it... And if you like the look of rubies but are worried about the tint of your diamond when halo'ed...have you considered making the halo out of rubies?? :mrgreen2:

P.S. Yeah....your husband's photography skills may be just a smidge superior to yours :lol-2:

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
It's hard because it seems you don't have a real diamond expert locally who can do the imaging, assessment and measurements that might help guide you.
Let's go hypothetical. You have this lovely family diamond recut and it is fabulous and sparkly. And large!
Would you get more wear from a ring or a pendant? Which would be more practical and comfortable for you in your lifestyle? You have a beautiful, sentimental stone. How would you feel comfortable wearing this?
I think the experts have weighed in on how to manage the re-cut logistically regarding insurance etc.

What is the best choice for future owners of this family stone? You are truly the steward for this diamond and I always think about who it will go to and what is the best way to preserve the stone and make it ready for the next generation. Maybe morbid--:-o
Whatever you decide--it's a wonderful family piece. Try to document the history for the next owner.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm thinking it looks huge on your finger!

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A minor update:
I have spent a little time looking at the loose diamond in a ring stone holder and it looks so much better loose than it did in its old setting. It is an absolute disco ball in the sun :love: :love: and not too shabby inside, either. I changed my mind several times today alone regarding what to do with it.

I go from back and forth from:
  • Send it to BG for a recut.
  • It is beautiful enough, don't mess with it (not to mention that a recut would cost $1,251 which is a lot of money to me and would pay for a nice setting).
  • Hmm... maybe I could sell it and buy one of Bron's rubies if she puts them up for sale next year.
Selling it probably sounds sacrilegious considering it is an old family ring :evil2:, but my grandmother always wanted me to have a ruby. It is highly likely that I will keep it, though.

I see a little tint at certain angles and next to a 2 ct. CZ ring (which I would assume would be considered a D color), so I am not sure if I would like the contrast a halo would provide. I will need to take it in to a store where I can see it placed on top of some settings.

I am finding that the diamond does not look that huge anymore on my size 8 1/2 finger. DSS is real, folks! I used to think that 1 ct. was large - and I still do on you smaller fingered women - but on me 1 ct. looks more like a half ct. We need a "Size 7 and Up" AKA "Man hands" thread. :lol-2: It seems like 95% of PS's have tiny fingers.

I actually tried to keep this super brief, but I obviously failed. :silenced:

These are the best photos I took :wall:

In the sun:

In sun - cropped.jpg

In fluorescent lighting. It does not look that yellow to me in person:

In kitchen- cropped.jpg
My engagement ring was my grandmother’s. I’ve been going back and forth on recutting it for the last two years.

Yours throws beautiful fire :kiss2:

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
I LOVE old cut, pillowy ,chunky diamonds and would like to recut an 8.63 ct R B to be an old euro cut .It is pretty as is but I would love it to be recut and set in an antique mounting to enjoy .It would be a right hand ring or perhaps a pendant. Does anyone know someone that can do that and approx. how much weight I would lose doing so? I absolutely love diamondseekers2006 diamond. All of the facets are just beautiful. I have old cuts in many pieces of antique jewelry but none so gorgeous as that one. 20200626_193000.jpg Any advice would be appreciated. Ill try and post the look I am after if I can find a picture.

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
Something along these lines I really like.

1593219542766.png

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Tinkybell What a question! It is quite impossible to guess what kind of transformation might a cutter offer - or perhaps a trade if the loss would be tremendous [not unlikely.]

There are quite a few stories of happy recuts around, if less dramatic transformations - from modern brilliant to H&A standards, or smallish adjustments to old style brilliants.

2c

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
@Tinkybell What a question! It is quite impossible to guess what kind of transformation might a cutter offer - or perhaps a trade if the loss would be tremendous [not unlikely.]

There are quite a few stories of happy recuts around, if less dramatic transformations - from modern brilliant to H&A standards, or smallish adjustments to old style brilliants.

2c

I am not familiar with the process at all and just did not know if there is someone that does old cuts from a new cut. Usually ,it is the other way around from what I have read on here. I love the pictures of the stones you sent me a link to on Instagram .I would be happy with most any old style cut ,just not sure if it is something that is done, and if there is a cutter that would be good at making the change ,including knowledge of what cut would cause the least loss, in carat weight. The last picture I posted above is an example of a transitional cut or so they say .Sorry if I am not understanding exactly what you are trying to convey. I was just looking for advice to see if it would be possible .

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I can only guess how the proportions of your diamond compare with the transitional you have mentioned & I am probably wrong to expect a smaller diameter from the recut [weight - I cannot begin to guess.]

[I am forgetting the latest recut! - they may well see the thread before I get to make the connection!]

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
I can only guess how the proportions of your diamond compare with the transitional you have mentioned & I am probably wrong to expect a smaller diameter from the recut [weight - I cannot begin to guess.]

[I am forgetting the latest recut! - they may well see the thread before I get to make the connection!]

My stone measures 13.48 x 13.65 x 7.82 .The transitional one I found at an antique store online and it is a 6.55 ct and measures 11.6 x 11.84 x 7.57.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
@Tinkybell this is a really old thread you have found and posted your similar themed but separate question.

People will almost certainly miss it - please start a new thread in Rockytalky with all the same information. :D

On another note I will now be thread hunting against the others who were posting in this thread originally to see if there are any further updates. :mrgreen:

ETA: your starting diamond itself... Man... Please include the size of that in your thread title! You'll hopefully get a lot of support this forum is full of amazingly knowledgeable people who can really help you decide on such a massive decision (and they will also request lots of pictures!).

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I cannot make a decent estimate of potential weight - I am not a cutter, then, without knowing the crown heights of both, even a naive guess is not quite possible - I could be over one carat off either way, give or take. What is obvious: the two stones, yours and the transitional model, are very close in depth - so you do neet the full depth of your stone retained with the rest of proportions adjusted, which may well produce a diamond of around 12 mm diameter and less than 7 carats. [would I? - yes... I am much more fond of cut than weight & 12 mm or seven carats is not little; I am not counting what such diamonds cost today]

@Wink

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
@Tinkybell this is a really old thread you have found and posted your similar themed but separate question.

People will almost certainly miss it - please start a new thread in Rockytalky with all the same information. :D

On another note I will now be thread hunting against the others who were posting in this thread originally to see if there are any further updates. :mrgreen:

ETA: your starting diamond itself... Man... Please include the size of that in your thread title! You'll hopefully get a lot of support this forum is full of amazingly knowledgeable people who can really help you decide on such a massive decision (and they will also request lots of pictures!).

Thank you. I am brand new at this,my first post and I just chimed in on a thread discussing recuts .I will try and start a new thread,as you have suggested.

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
I cannot make a decent estimate of potential weight - I am not a cutter, then, without knowing the crown heights of both, even a naive guess is not quite possible - I could be over one carat off either way, give or take. What is obvious: the two stones, yours and the transitional model, are very close in depth - so you do neet the full depth of your stone retained with the rest of proportions adjusted, which may well produce a diamond of around 12 mm diameter and less than 7 carats. [would I? - yes... I am much more fond of cut than weight & 12 mm or seven carats is not little; I am not counting what such diamonds cost today]

@Wink

Thank you .Lykame suggested I start a new thread.This is my first so I am not familiar with how things are done here yet. I will start a new oneThankyou for your advice. I do have all the measurement of crown etc from GIA. I will include that in new post.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
New thread for Tinkybell's ring! :))

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
New thread for Tinkybell's ring! :))

Thank you. I am terrible at the computer so thanks for rerouting people to the new thread.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results