shape
carat
color
clarity

Re-Cut for Diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
O.k a few mins ago I posted a thread about my old e-ring diamond...

Who is a reputable re-cutter who could re-cut my SI2 clarity 1.25 RB, E-F color?

I am new to this whole jewelry thing please forgive me...
17.gif

My Ring Thread

Finally!

Rough_Rock
You could send it to eightstar to have it turned into a superideal cut. It will lose a few hundredths of a carat in the process, but it will end up phenomenal-looking, from what I''ve seen.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are several, but I think it looks pretty good as it is (it's dirty, so it's hard to say how nice it really is under the grime.) Recutting has risks...and it is an I1...

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I JUST had my diamond recut at Whiteflash, and I would HIGHLY recommend them to anyone. I don''t even have my stone yet, it will be shipped back to me tomorrow or Friday, but they did an outstanding job with it. I''m actually going to start a thread about it tomorrow, posting all the images they sent me, then add hand shots when I get it.

They of course have to look at each stone seperately to see what''s possible, but if you''re really interested it''s definitely at least worth asking about. My stone went from a steep deep 1.44 I vs2 to a 1.35 H vs2 ACA. The color grading going up sure was a nice bonus! I did hear that steep deeps retained more body color, I guess they really do!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kelli I am REALLY excited to see your ' new' diamond!

PD, first thing would be to contact WF or Wink, also Bill Bray does recuts and may be able to advise you. www.brayscore.com As you know recutting isn't without risk, but as it sounds as if you might not be unwilling to take the chance it could be worth investigating.

You could also get an impartial opinion from an appraiser, here is a tool you can use to find one in your area.

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Can you confirm thos dimensions - hmmmm
I would not recomend 8* - for my money they are hobbyist idealists, and at 6.34mm you can keep it over 1ct with more prctical cutters.
All the other recomendations are good from my book - although i only know them by reputation.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The stone has a high crown so I would have it recut with a shallowish pavilion using DC to find a perfect compliment to the crown angles with long lgf% and leave the crown alone.
8* is not someone I would consider for that stone.

I would have Paul recut it into a FIC with 80% lgf if possible.

Finally!

Rough_Rock
Garry and Karl,

I find your responses regarding 8* to be very interesting - it was not what I expected, based on what I have read about them on these forums. If I''m understanding you right, you feel that they would be such perfectionists with this stone that it might end up losing a significant amount of its carat weight?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 11:08:12 PM
Author: Finally!
Garry and Karl,

I find your responses regarding 8* to be very interesting - it was not what I expected, based on what I have read about them on these forums. If I'm understanding you right, you feel that they would be such perfectionists with this stone that it might end up losing a significant amount of its carat weight?
Right, there are very specific crown/pavilion angle combinations that 8* uses and the crown has to be re-cut to paint the upper girdles to get the 8* look.
Re-cutting the pavilion to match the crown in my opinion would be a better option unless you really want an 8*
I personally don't care for the 8* style of cutting with short lgf% and painted upper girdles but leaving that out of it I think re-cutting to a FIC is the best option.
Also it looks like to me to remove the primary inclusion is going to require a shallower pavilion, cutting it to a less shallow angle may not be possible because of the inclusions.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
These 3 inclusions might be issues that may force a shallower pavilion.
There may be others.

PDOLDDIAMOND 0041.jpg

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I had my stone recut by Bill Bray. I wasn''t too worried about the risk as it was an old small stone but it is something to consider. I would certainly trust Bray, WF, Wink and GOG (don''t know if they all offer recutting).

I love getting new life out of a tired stone. My diamond laid in a drawer for 10 years because it was poorly cut and I didn''t like it. Now that I had it recut and put into a pendant I wear it all the time and get compliments on it. I never thought of recutting as an option until PS.

I especially like the idea of creating a new stone with good mojo! When you pick the cutter and specs it''s like starting from scratch (not really, but you can think of it that way when using an X''s-stone).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results