shape
carat
color
clarity

RB H&A or OEC?

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you had the opportunity to get a gorgeous honkin OEC, would you give up an ideal cut H&A diamond?

Since there have been so many beautiful OECs to surface on PS recently, I wondered what you all would do?

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I would give up an ideal H&A for a gorgeous honking OEC!
I would set it in a ring or in a bracelet so I could admire it all the time! :razz:

Did you find a gorgeous honking OEC? :naughty:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cookie|1318784556|3041513 said:
Yes, I would give up an ideal H&A for a gorgeous honking OEC!
I would set it in a ring or in a bracelet so I could admire it all the time! :razz:

Did you find a gorgeous honking OEC? :naughty:

I have (won't give details yet) got to think a bit on it. Wonder what other PSers might do?

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm RB H & A type of girl. However, there's that lovely 3.07 OEC on GOG that would definitely suit your needs!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will give this much info :cheeky: I am looking at a 3+ct OEC M/N color. My H&A is an N so the color would be the same.

It might even fit in my current setting that VC made with french cuts.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
I just love the pillowy crown of OEC. I would never get tired of looking at it!

OEC + french cuts will be gorgeous! I have seen a few rings like that on PS. Just beautiful.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you put the 3.62 M/N OEC from JBEG on hold? Lucky you if you did!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I would do it for sure! I prefer amazing OECs to H&A anyday...

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
I definitely would go for the OEC. I noticed the 3.62ct from JbEG is on hold, I wonder who got it? I nearly bought it myself :naughty:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I am currrently going through a similar dilemma (thread in hangout). I really, really want an antique cut stone, August Vintage specifically set in a Van Craeynest setting. But I am fearful about giving up my classic solitaire (H&A). I am considering getting both but in a smaller size than I currently wear. I am afraid I would miss my current set.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go for the OEC! If you need an H&A hit, get a small one for a pendant or RHR.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I buck the trend. While I would love an OEC I would rather have a RB H&A for my ering. I would use the OEC for something else.

GamGam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This is an interesting thread, and I'll add my perspective. I have both. And love both. I just received the OEC and so it is the new kid on the block. They have such different personalities. The RB sparkles and flashes with such brightness. It is more of a showoff than the OEC. But the OEC has much larger flashes of color. And the center of the stone just draws me into the beauty of the facets. I really think the answer, if you are giving up one for the other, is a question of which speaks to your heart.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to admit to never seeing an OEC in real life, only here on PS. Judging by what I've seen, they're beautiful stones and I'd be very tempted to go for it.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am an OEC lover through and through. Is there any way the stone can be shipped to you to look at? Once you see it, you'll know one way or the other if it's meant to be your stone.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
I went through a very similar situation a month ago when deciding on the diamond for my e-ring upgrade...but we were looking for in the 1.5-2 range, not 3 ct range(so jealous!!!). I decided on the OEC, it is a 1.79 ct L VS2 from jbeg. I love the chunky facets and how they throw off colors. So, in my opinion I would go for the OEC if it were my choice. I cannot wait to see pictures if you do get an OEC! Oh, and if you are getting the one on jbeg or gog, you deserve a round of applause, they are gorgeous. :appl: :appl: :appl:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I appreciate all comments.

Let me just say that if I make the change, this won't be worn as an engagement ring (I am divorcing). It would be one that I could wear on either hand as I want depending on what other ring I might be wearing as well.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, as long as it was a nicely cut OEC without any chips or an overly thin girdle.

Good luck with your decision!

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I have always loved the old cuts. I love the facet patterns and the big flashes of light over needle-like flashes of light that RBs throw. That's just my personal preference... Go with whatever your heart tells you! I feel like it's 100% personal preference.

That stone sounds just delightful!!!

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
bright ice|1318807570|3041670 said:
I appreciate all comments.

Let me just say that if I make the change, this won't be worn as an engagement ring (I am divorcing). It would be one that I could wear on either hand as I want depending on what other ring I might be wearing as well.

OECs are beautiful wherever you wear them! :loopy:

stci

Ideal_Rock
OEC...OEC...OEC.... lol lol

They are the most beautiful diamond in the world! I love love intriguate designs of those stones! :love: :love:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
My first thought was OEC no question but then GamGam's post reminded me of why H&A.

GamGam - if you could only have one and for an e-ring ... which would you pick?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I could, I would get both and compare them. I am in the process of buying an OEC. I saw quite a few stones and I have to say that with OECs the most important thing was to see them in person. I had an M with AMAZING cut with a certificate from a trusted vendor in great shape and then I compared it with a K with good cut, slightly out of round and a chip (that on paper or on the net I would have passed up) and fell in love with the K.

It's not an empirical question not all OEC's are equal. I would see the OEC in person, and if possible next to the H&A and see which one, if either of them, catch your interest more and keep it. That's the right one for you.

Kasey3

Shiny_Rock
I have both, and love both. The OEC is really a fun stone-it changes all of the time and is absolutely stunning outside. The only issue that I have is the color (its an M) and it only bothers me a very small percent of the time, and you already said that color is not an issue so no worries for you. They sparkle in different ways, so I agree with Gypsy if you can compare them both side by side for a fair amount of time to determine which you like best.

Good luck

GamGam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo|1318829660|3041833 said:
My first thought was OEC no question but then GamGam's post reminded me of why H&A.

GamGam - if you could only have one and for an e-ring ... which would you pick?
CharmyPoo, if I were choosing today it would be RB. But.... There are issues with the setting of my OEC, which will be corrected soon, I hope, and that is probably weighing on my choice today. When the OEC is as it should be, I may chose differently.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1318830605|3041838 said:
If I could, I would get both and compare them. I am in the process of buying an OEC. I saw quite a few stones and I have to say that with OECs the most important thing was to see them in person. I had an M with AMAZING cut with a certificate from a trusted vendor in great shape and then I compared it with a K with good cut, slightly out of round and a chip (that on paper or on the net I would have passed up) and fell in love with the K.

It's not an empirical question not all OEC's are equal. I would see the OEC in person, and if possible next to the H&A and see which one, if either of them, catch your interest more and keep it. That's the right one for you.

This, a thousand times over - I just spent a few months looking for the old cut of my dreams, and what I thought I liked and what I actually liked were worlds apart. In pictures, I really like old miners, antique cushions, and the checkerboard transitionals that give you a lot of white light: in person, I like the other kind of transitional, with a steep pavilion and longer LGFs, for the perfect marriage of elements between old and new.

That said, going between an H&A and the exact kind of transitional I happen to like? I vote old-cut all the way - I love how fiery it is, I like the broader flashes of light, and I like the warmth, which can look just a little off in a super-ideal. I tend to prefer the unique, one-off piece every time. :devil:

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting, I like OEC's but I would stay with my RB. I just find that the H & A's have optimum light performance in modern lights all the time, while the OECs shine in certain circumstances but in others don't do as well.
But my OEC is a transitional between Old Mine Cut and OEC--maybe it doesnt' have the same performanc because of that?
Also depends on the setting. Modern RB's don't look as good as OEC's in vintage settings, its true--but for me, the sparkliness being greater factor is all-around more important.
Is there a way you can see the OEC without a final commitment before you buy? This is a real matter of taste and while those who adore OECs are currently in the majority on this board, not everybody is like this and maybe you are one of the ones who aren't. Better to find out in advance of a purchase if so.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Nope I would keep my RB

I'm looking for an OEC but i only like them in 3 ct + sizes. I have a 0.8 ct which is pretty but I want the really big flashes you get from a large OEC. However, I don't think the light performance will compare with my excellent cut RB, so I wouldn't want to give the RB up.

Mynah*Bird

Rough_Rock
Well, since I did just to through this exact debate myself I am going to have to say OEC all the way. ;-)

The personalities of the chunky faceting and all the flashes of light get me every time! The splintery glitters and perfect symmetry of the H&A rounds only really appealed to *me* through the scope when I could see them. I absolutely 100% am rooting for the OEC! Only after viewing for yourself however.........with lots o' pics! :)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think for me a RB stands the test of time. I love some of the older cut stones but for the long haul, I don't think I'd be happy if I gave up my round brilliant stone. I'm not a two ring type of girl so having one of each wouldn't work for me either - although they're both beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results