shape
carat
color
clarity

Raw diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Dear diamond experts...

My oldest son collects gems and small stones, quartz, etc. and makes jewelry, etc. and was showing a friend some of his loose stones last evening...my son showed him what he assumed was a piece of clear quartz...his friend had studied gems a bit and said it didn''t look like quartz to him, it looked more like a raw diamond. My son told me this, this morning and I brushed it off and said, nah, not a raw diamond...until he pulled up some pics online and ya know, after comparing his stone and the pics, it really DOES look like it could be a raw diamond.

What should he do to see if it is a diamond, or find out what it is exactly?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/18/2009 11:48:05 AM
Author:Ara Ann
Dear diamond experts...

My oldest son collects gems and small stones, quartz, etc. and makes jewelry, etc. and was showing a friend some of his loose stones last evening...my son showed him what he assumed was a piece of clear quartz...his friend had studied gems a bit and said it didn''t look like quartz to him, it looked more like a raw diamond. My son told me this, this morning and I brushed it off and said, nah, not a raw diamond...until he pulled up some pics online and ya know, after comparing his stone and the pics, it really DOES look like it could be a raw diamond.

Any macro pics?
If you post we might be able to better point or eliminate...

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/18/2009 12:17:18 PM
Author: DiaGem
Date: 12/18/2009 11:48:05 AM

Author:Ara Ann

Dear diamond experts...

Any macro pics?

If you post we might be able to better point or eliminate...

My son is going to try to take a few pics...but my camera has been acting up...we''ll post if we can get a decent image.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Urrgh. Camera not cooperating.

We called a local high end jeweler and they said they have two gemologists that can take a look at it. Can someone tell just by looking at it?

It looks a lot like this:

http://www.diamondsnews.com/images/29_carats_diamonds_black_market.jpg

But after looking at more quartz online, I am betting on it being quartz.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results