shape
carat
color
clarity

Rather than continuing to hijack....Dreamer.....

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I apologize for the threadjack in your post about your new OECs proportions. Here's a photo of the stone that is on it's way to me as well as the one that I already own. Not great photos, but it's the best I can do til I have both stones in front of me....is this the one you were thinking of Dreamer? The cutlet is slightly off center, but I agree with you...it won't bother me in earrings....

5.5%20oec2.jpg

70%20OEC.jpg

Here are the two earrings I'm considering. Other than creating a gorgeous pair of earrings, I'm trying to mitigate the fact that one of my holes is lower than the other and when I had my studs, it kind of hung off of my ear. I'm hoping that both of these settings will hide that....which do you think will stand the test of time and work well both with jeans and for "dress up"?

dream%20earring2.jpg

dream%20earrings_0.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
From those pics they look like a great match!

The one you own, is it really wonky and out of round? It looks that way in that photo. Might matter for a bezel?

Yes, that was the one I was thinking of! I like it, nice and chunky looking. I like the mount too, someone would probably like it for a colored gem, just don't ask too much money eh ;)) These used mounts are not worth a tonne!

I am not really a style maven, but I like option 2 for what you describe. I think you could dress em up or down.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Throwing in my thoughts on the setting - know nothing regarding evaluating the stones. If your piercings are unbalanced, I think the 2nd option will be less noticeable. The top option (Gorgeous, I might add!) may showcase a 'droop' between the heights of 2 piercings because of the wire.

Just my opinion... :))

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dreamer, the one I own isn't out of round, but the chunk that's missing makes it appear that way. I sent the stone to Ari to look at before I made a decision about keeping it or not (for under $300!) and he said that it would need a fairly hefty bezel to minimize the "chip", but that he felt it could be done and wouldn't be noticable on my ear. Honestly, I like the stone I just bought more than I like the one I own, but I'm much happier having spent $1200 on both stones than $2K (had I found another $1K stone).

DH likes the second setting better too. I'm torn, mostly because I can go to the mall and try on costume jewlery that is similar to the style of the first setting and I know that I like it, while the second setting would be a blind leap and that terrifies me. Gulp...

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
I'll chime in, then, and say I prefer the first setting, although both are beautiful.

liz

AuntKiki

Shiny_Rock
I prefer the second setting, although both are beautiful. Tough choices hehe!

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Yenny, you're not in the DC area are you? Because I'd be happy to meet up with you and let you see my earrings IRL (the JBEG in the picture) if you just happen to be around here. Besides I'd get to see your gorgeous ring!

Anyways, l Iove both earrings that you posted but personally since you mentioned standing the test of time I would also consider a pair of authentic deco dangling earrings as well -- that is something on my list.

So far I've been very happy with my OEC/french cut earrings and wear them to work and casually with jeans. I do sometimes consider studs since I would love to play around with dangles and jackets but I really just love that mine are a little different and they do have some nice movement to time. Plus since I have long hair a little length is nice. They have become my stand in for my various pairs of pearl studs.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for your sweet offer winternight. I'm in the Atlanta area, so no chance of a meet up right now. :blackeye:

I'm glad to hear that you've been comfortable wearing your earrings both casually and dressy. If you could only have one pair (since I doubt I'll be getting another pair of diamond earrings in this lifetime), which would you choose?

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
That's too bad - I'd love to see your ring! Both earrings are great - taking into account your ring I think either would work. The JBEG are certainly simplier and might work with more looks but the other ones aren't custom and that's kindof nice as well, easier for sure, and you could try them on since you're concerned about the height issue. Both pairs have a vintage vibe. For me personally it would be the JBEG pair, but most of my jewelry is pretty simple - like a classic solitaire and channel set band.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you get it? How is it?

My 5.7mm stone arrives today!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like both earrings...hard to choose!

Dreamer, post your thoughts about your new stone when you get it. Dying to know if it will work in your three stone!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1331751409|3148597 said:
I like both earrings...hard to choose!

Dreamer, post your thoughts about your new stone when you get it. Dying to know if it will work in your three stone!!

Of course! Still waiting on the truck :nono:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I decided that I didn't like the original oec I got with this stone(though it was pretty). I think the first stone (with the chip) will look great as a bezeled pendant for my Mom where it can shine on it's own. I purchased the pair of studs in the other thread and will be resetting them. I could have kept the stone in this thread and tried to match it, but then I saw the pair and while I paid a few hundred more than I might have if I found a standalone in a ring, I'm not willing to spend another 8 months looking and since I don't have an oec whisperer on retainer, this was the best decision for me. While I like the stone on the right in the photo a bit better than the one on the left, I think they'll be gorgeous as earrings. I'll know by Friday!

Have you received your stone yet?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
i like the first set better :)

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wait, you prefer the stones in this post to the ones in the earring poll post?? Or are we getting confused with all of the stones I'm talking about?? :lol:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1331761373|3148709 said:
Wait, you prefer the stones in this post to the ones in the earring poll post?? Or are we getting confused with all of the stones I'm talking about?? :lol:

nooooo lol. I mean the finsihed earring type. I just voted in the other poll :)

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ahhhh, whew (where's the emoticon for wiping your brow in a relieved way??)....I much prefer them too! :appl:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am confused by your post here. You received the ring in the mount with the off center culet and you don't like it?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No, it was a pretty stone, but it was so much prettier than the chipped stone I had that I was going to want to find another stone as a mate for earrings. Since it took me so long to find this stone (with the off center cutlet), and I saw a pair of oec studs for sale, I decided to return the stone with the off center cutlet rather than trying to find a match for it. I'll bezel the chipped stone as a gift for my Mom since I already have a diamond pendant and don't need a second one. Does that make sense?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1331764520|3148756 said:
No, it was a pretty stone, but it was so much prettier than the chipped stone I had that I was going to want to find another stone as a mate for earrings. Since it took me so long to find this stone (with the off center cutlet), and I saw a pair of oec studs for sale, I decided to return the stone with the off center cutlet rather than trying to find a match for it. I'll bezel the chipped stone as a gift for my Mom since I already have a diamond pendant and don't need a second one. Does that make sense?

Yes, very smart. Pity you had to send back a nice OEC though :))

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yeah, it almost killed me, but considering I had to beg DH to go for the studs, I didn't even want to bring up keeping an "orphan"...snort.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results