shape
carat
color
clarity

Rant/Resignation/Rant

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
This was my "resignation letter" from the LIW list last night:
Never thought this would be the way I'd be getting off the list. I joined last August at 118. I'm in no rush, but I wanted to find out to what degree my rush-less-ness would be. Anyone who knows my story knows that he "proposed" October 2009, but it was a "secret" so I asked him to take it back. Since then I've researching all things ring and wedding-- as per the notion that he had proposed once already.
But not just my own insane notion, but of the fact that he fed me fantasies (getting married before 2012, 2013, 2014). I know he didn't intentional try to hurt me with that; he's apologized 100000x since I've told him how I felt about these empty promises (he stopped also).

Well today I just had to find out. Really, I was dreaming of some sort of timeline-- even if he'd say 3 years, I'd be content with knowing that theres some sort of plan. I explained how I was feeling that without any responses from him, it seems like I'm trying to secretly be engaged to myself. He responded with apologies and explaining that because he's not in a position to live with me yet, he doesn't feel obliged to buy a ring. Hey, that's fair-- I didn't expect much else. I explained that although I agree, it would save me a lot of energy (and nerves) if we had a timeline. His response: "If I knew It wouldn't make sense to wait. If I knew I could marry you in 3 years I'd just marry you or at least put a ring on your finger." I dejectedly complied and then he said "Please stop being a lady in waiting and just be *my name* and my baby too if you still can."

I didn't expect him to call me out as a LIW.. AT ALL. My heart basically stopped beating at that point (as I'm sure others here would too). So ultimately, I'm heeding that advice and removing myself as a LIW at #37. Shame, I'd gotten so far, lol.
I know there are people on this forum who think I'm fake, that my story is just that-- a story, that my writing is too flowery to be true. If I'm already posting my life on the internet, I really don't care of what they accuse me or my life.

Dust to all of the lucky ladies on the list!! I hope to return sooner rather than later, perhaps there'll be some familiar usernames still hanging around PS at that point.
Perhaps I sounded "cool" but I completely and utterly lost it. And he just didn't get it... at all. It got to the point of feeling nauseous. He said that he didn't have money and what I want is too expensive (last thing I sent him was a $10 topaz stone...)-- blatantly missing the point, since I was only looking for a stone/ring because he originally told me to (he said that a ring would make it real and we'd have something to show when we made an announcement to our families). The entire conversation above was online, so everything he said really is word-for-word. I really didn't want to talk to him afterwards, I just wanted to absorb it all and go (cry myself) to bed. He called me to say good night, and kept saying his @#$&ing usual phrase "it'll happen sooner than you think" Really? Sooner than I think? You can't say that it's a remote possibility in the next five years, yet it's sooner than I think? I know I sound bitter, but I am. I really wouldn't of wasted so much time if I knew it was all bull%$#@. Then (on the phone) he said something along the lines of sending him things makes him feel pressured and therefore makes it be the last thing he wants to do. So there was a lot of my own feeling stupid. But CHRIST! If he was just STRAIGHT with me and said "Look, I know that I want to marry you, but it's not in the cards in be engaged at all until I can live with you." Instead of his almost DAILY "I want to marry you. It'll happen sooner than you think." And each time I'd give a relatively REALISTIC year, like 2014, he'd say "It'll definitely happen before then, don't worry."
I'm not worried. I'm just sick of this. Immensely, retardedly SICK of this. It's one thing to fantasize, but don't disguise it as the truth. $#&*
:knockout: :knockout: :knockout: :knockout: :knockout: :knockout: :knockout: :knockout: :knockout: :knockout: :knockout:

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Why would you expect him to have a better idea of a reasonable timeline when you also don't really know what a reasonable timeline would be? You're one kid expecting another kid to have answers to your future for you.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
5 years isn't reasonable? He'd be 30, I'd be 25. How is that unreasonable?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I'm a little confused by your post. Is it just a rant, or is there some sort of question in there? Are you just going to continue waiting it out, or are you finally fed up with him?

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Just a rant amc, thank you. I'm pretty fed up. He's refused to call me all day because last night I told him that we need to talk. Not that I said "The next thing we'll talk about is this." But rather "can we not pretend that everything is okay and actually talk about this?" No specific date, just near future. So he doesn't call me all day because of that-- which I find out after I just got fed up and thought "Why should I wait for him?" I'm pretty much fuming. As mother's go, mine was right. She said "You may be ready now, but he's not... but that's not to say that when he's ready, you will be."

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
wakingdreams53|1301363799|2882302 said:
5 years isn't reasonable? He'd be 30, I'd be 25. How is that unreasonable?
I guess I am saying, you're very young, trying to get another very young person to commit to being in a certain place lifewise several years down the road. I understand the frustration of feeling misled, but I also sympathize very much with him just wanting to be where you are now -- just dating, just young, just enjoying your relationship as it is. People change so so much when they graduate from college, get their first real full-time job, etc. I interpret him to be saying that he's not ready to make you a promise several years down the road, which sounds pretty sensible. If you've been pressuring him to give you firm dates and timelines, I can also see why he would tell you "sooner than you think" to appease you.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I'm not one to kick while someone is down so no matter if I agree or disagree---I'm still very very sorry that your feelings are hurt. I understand how frustrating things like this can be. I really hope everything works out in your best interest!!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
wakingdreams53|1301364451|2882315 said:
As mother's go, mine was right. She said "You may be ready now, but he's not... but that's not to say that when he's ready, you will be."

I know you're not looking for advice, but of course I'm going to give it anyway. Listen to your mom. This guy doesn't know what he wants. And that's fine. But you shouldn't have to wait around while he figures it out.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Suchende, I understand what you're saying. And honestly, I agree. I want to enjoy dating without any "firm" timelines, but he's the one who brings it up! He mostly says "sooner than you think" without my eliciting it. I told him about our timelines not matching a couple weeks ago, and he said that we should spend more time together. Okay, that's perfectly fair, but is that him agreeing or disagreeing?

AutumnNovember, thank you. I don't want to break up with him over something like this. We really do have a great relationship. I'm not trying to ruin it with marriage or engagement/wedding talk. Here's the problem he said, "I love you. If I didn't I'd selfishly marry you now before I could do it right for you and your family." I know he wants to "do it right" and "take care of me" but can he be consistent? He obviously plans to marry me... am I so wrong to wonder "when"?

Amc, you're right. I'll listen to advice-- last night was unbearably hard because it was 1am and all of my friends had school in the morning, so I couldn't get anyones opinion. I wish this was all in my head and I'm crazy for being so persistent about it. You're right that I shouldn't have to wait... but then at the same time, we have a great relationship and I logically am in no rush...

I quite literally feel like this: :knockout:

amc80

Ideal_Rock
It's a tough situation. On one hand, you realized you're young and that logically there's no rush. On the other, you would (I believe) marry him tomorrow if he asked you for real. He's saying he can't even give you a 5 year time line. I get that, after all, he's young and it's not fair to you for him to give out empty promises. But, it's also not fair of him to keep giving you half-a$$ed promises. If he doesn't have a time line, he shouldn't say anything indicating he does...which is what he is doing.

It really just seems to me like he's giving you just enough bait to string you along. He's saying he wants to commit, but when challenged, he can't back it up. But see? Then I go back to the whole "you guys are really young, he shouldn't have to commit right now" thing.

Sorry, my post is wayyyy to wordy and incoherent.

Summary: He's baiting you. You're taking it. What are you giving him, right now, that he's really benefiting from? Do you live together?

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
UPDATE!!!

We talked. He got upset with me making him say it out, but thats the only way I get it. We're pretty long distance (70miles) and i dont drive. He said that building a stable foundation for us is the most important thing to him. He hates his job and is working hard to make money doing something he loves. He spends as much time as possible for me, even though spending a weekend with me (brooklyn) and driving straight to work (south hampton) is really difficult and far from ideal.
He doesn't see a point in saying it won't be for another 5 years because he doesn't want to wait that long. He's trying his hardest.

He felt he didn't need to say any of that because he figured I knew, and he doesn't like "explaining" his intentions. But to me, before this convo, that made it seem like it was the furthest thing from his mind and I was alone in this.

So he's not baiting me... we just have different brains haha.

Amc, it wasn't incoherent, you just sounded like me lol. You're right, I'd marry him at the drop of a hat. We don't live together, but I live alone and we spend most weekends together-- I know thats nothing like really living together, but its more than we had before. Thats another of his points-- we should worry first about living together, then any engagement/marriage etc. He's right. I'm just glad to have this resolve and know that we really are on the same page-- he just doesn't voice it.

UnluckyTwin

Shiny_Rock
Okay, I basically never chime in on this kind of stuff, but I've followed your story and I've read this update and I feel a pressing need to say: let the matter lie at this point! You seem to be in a good place after this last talk-- you believe he wants to be committed to you, you think it's on his mind to do as soon as possible, etc. Believe him and don't worry about it any more. Carry that confidence with you so that you no longer doubt things and feel the need to talk about timelines. Enjoy dating; focus on spending time together, helping him find work that he likes, making plans for moving in when it's feasible (WHEN IT'S FEASIBLE-- don't start bugging him about his timeline for that until it actually looks like a possibility). The last thing you need to do is start worrying about marriage again for a long time, unless he does something to indicate to you that he no longer has (eventual) plans to marry you. And, tell him to stop talking about it, too-- if he's making comments about "sooner than you think" without you soliciting them, it causes you to think about that stuff, and supposedly, he doesn't want you to think about it and just wants you to focus on building a strong foundation. Good luck!

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
UnluckyTwin: Thank you! Advice 100% heeded. That's exactly how I felt last night and continue to feel today.
Now that I know that it's NOT the furthest thing from his mind, I'm at ease. <3 Communication, lol.
Nonetheless, I'm not "waiting" anymore, so I'll shoo off this sub-forum! :mrgreen:

lisalikessparkles

Rough_Rock
I can't help but add abit of my own opinion here..

I don't know too much about your background since I'm relatively new to this forum but can I ask.. why do you want to marry him, do you actually want to be with HIM and plan a life good and bad.. or do you just want to be engaged? Are you in love with the idea of it or the MEANING of it all?

I can't imagine marrying someone I have never lived with.. how does this all work? Whats the dynamics here? Are you of differing religions, or is it an age thing stopping him.. are you currently in a long distance relationship? Why would you have a 'secret' engagement? I'm just abit confused.

I HATED my SO when we moved in together. Oh my god.. he has so many annoying habits!! What a rough time that was. I'm no angel either, obviously... theres just so much compromise and middle grounding that has to be done. We fought solidly for almost a year trying to find boundaries and it took us a long time to setle into the happy stage we're in now.

You remind me so much of myself when I was younger. So desperate for a ring.. not really knowing how/what/why.. it will all happen with its right.. and when its meant to happen. Ask yourself if he loves you and if he's commited to you, and right now.. that really is enough honey. Be young, enjoy your youth, worry about all the wedding engagement babies, family drama stuff later!! This is the best time of your life!! Don't be dragged down by waiting and expectation. Be happy, and all will unfold eventually.

xxxxx

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
lisalikessparkles|1301876797|2887082 said:
I can't help but add abit of my own opinion here..

I don't know too much about your background since I'm relatively new to this forum but can I ask.. why do you want to marry him, do you actually want to be with HIM and plan a life good and bad.. or do you just want to be engaged? Are you in love with the idea of it or the MEANING of it all?

I can't imagine marrying someone I have never lived with.. how does this all work? Whats the dynamics here? Are you of differing religions, or is it an age thing stopping him.. are you currently in a long distance relationship? Why would you have a 'secret' engagement? I'm just abit confused.

I HATED my SO when we moved in together. Oh my god.. he has so many annoying habits!! What a rough time that was. I'm no angel either, obviously... theres just so much compromise and middle grounding that has to be done. We fought solidly for almost a year trying to find boundaries and it took us a long time to setle into the happy stage we're in now.

You remind me so much of myself when I was younger. So desperate for a ring.. not really knowing how/what/why.. it will all happen with its right.. and when its meant to happen. Ask yourself if he loves you and if he's commited to you, and right now.. that really is enough honey. Be young, enjoy your youth, worry about all the wedding engagement babies, family drama stuff later!! This is the best time of your life!! Don't be dragged down by waiting and expectation. Be happy, and all will unfold eventually.

xxxxx

I agree with much of your post, except it doesn't mean a couple is set for failure if they are not living together before marriage. In fact, millions of people had long, happy marriages and did not live together beforehand. The assumption that there is something off in the dynamic if two people aren't living together pre-engagement is not true.

lisalikessparkles

Rough_Rock
Oh absolutely. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's BETTER or WORSE to live with someone beforehand.. but more speaking from my own experience.. we had such a rough time when we first moved in together, and I'm glad we did, but thats our path and our personalities at play.

I realise this is not the case for everyone, and theres alot of differing cultural, religious and social beliefs expressed in our society so it's absolutely not my place to say one is better than the other.. what I hope came across is that I can't understand why they don't currently live together... if it is indeed religious, cultural etc.. or if its just an age thing... and if they're not ever expecting to live together before becoming engaged.. I guess this alters their timeline slightly.

:)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results