shape
carat
color
clarity

Random Question for Pet Owners

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So...I have a 2 year old dog and I LOVE him.
9.gif
I often find myself worrying about the day when he''s gone and how awful that will be. He really is a HUGE part of our family life and I just love him to pieces. Sometimes, I just get so sad knowing that one day he''ll be gone. Now that I''m pregnant, I think about it even more. I have thoughts about when our LO is a child, he/she WILL lose a dear friend. Don''t get me wrong...I don''t obsess about this and I do enjoy the time we have with him but these nagging thoughts creep into my head sometimes.

Sorry to be a downer, I just wonder how often you find yourselves thinking about the inevitable. I can''t possibly be the only one, right?

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
It''s definitely an inevitable part of pet ownership. I''ve had many many pets, so at this point I just try not to think about that. It creeps into my head occasionally, but I don''t dwell on it.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Losing my pets is something that I think about too. My parents have the dog I got when I graduated from highschool and she''ll be 10 this year and isn''t exactly a spring chicken anymore. I worry all the time that my parents will just find her dead and I will not have had the chance to say goodbye to her. I''ve had her for so long it would be strange to go over to visit my parents and not have her there.

I try not to dwell on it because I know that it will eventually happen. I know that she''s had a good life and that she''s very loved even though she''s stinky and still chases her tail like a madwoman
3.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have been thinking the same thing recently. Our lab, Blossom, is 6 this year. I love her so much that the idea that she will die someday is just awful. I don''t think I would ever get another dog after her.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, you're definitely not the only one. We lose our beloved 15 year old furbaby in December of '08, the week of Christmas actually. We could see the writing on the wall for a few months and we knew we wanted another dog right away, so we got D.O.G in November. Having D.O.G. helped immensely when we had to put Piju down because it took our focus off the grief. While we definitely grieved, we had to focus on the three month old puppy on our hands and really, dealing with an incontinent elderly dog is no different than dealing with potty training a puppy. While I'm happy with the idea the D.O.G. will most likely be with us for another 12 or so years and will essentially grow up with our children, it's hard for me to think that he will be leaving us as they get to the point of really understanding loss and grief. I see him being their best friend so it hurts my heart to think about the inevitable.

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
You are not alone. My baby is also 2. It crosses my mind and my FI and have talked about it a little. We both get very sad about it, so we have decided to try not to (although when I reach a certain point in my cycle, I can''t help it but be sad) so in the mean time we spoil him rotten and just enjoy every minute with him, especially now that spring is coming. I have also been very proactive with taking pictures and videos just to capture the great moments.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HH, you made me think of something. DH and I are NOT on the same page about getting another dog. Granted, we have years to figure it out (hopefully). I can''t imagine life without a dog. DH says he loves Hollis so much and he''s so perfect for us that there will never be another - NEVER! Forever is a long time...especially with no dog!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Trooper will be 13 on April 21st. He is my heart. I watched him being born, I was there when his eyes opened 11 days later, and he''s lived with me since he was 6 weeks old (I was puppy sitting for the breeder). We do everything together. I know we''ll only have a few more years together and I do worry about it. He''s my fourth Silky Terrier since 1973, but there will never by another puplette like my Trooper.
30.gif

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, Purrfect! That''s some bond! You''re a lucky gal.

I swear - I''m gonna need therapy when my dog goes!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I tend to get a new pet as my current pet(s) gets older. I just have kind of a sense that I need another animal around when the day comes to say goodbye. It has really really helped me to focus my efforts on another pet. I think it allows me to remember the fun things about my pet who passed away, but not dwell on my grief too much. If I had a pet-free house for a time, I think I would be very unhappy. I have never lived without a pet of some kind whether dog, gerbil, or rabbit.

My bunny is currently only 1 year old, so he has many years ahead of him, thank goodness (they live 7-12 years). I hope we have him for a very very long time.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, these thoughts creep into my head every once in a while as well. I have 2 dogs that are 2 years old. I''ve had them both since they were 8 weeks old (they are 2 months apart in age). I know that I should have tons of years left with them, they''re extremely healthy dogs, but thinking about them passing away, even in the distant future still makes me extremely sad.

They are the first dogs I ever had (I wanted one ALL throughout my childhood), and they have really been there for me through some tough stuff.

Like a previous poster said, in the "meantime", I just spoil them rotten
9.gif
Pets are just like people you love, you need to be kind to them, spend time with them and let them know how much you love them every day, because you never know when they''ll be gone.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
We''ve got an almost 8 year old cat, an almost 2 year old cat (OMG, this month! My little baby is growing up), a 1 1/2 year old dog, and we''re getting a 10 year old dog pretty soon, so this is something I''ve been thinking about. It''ll be really hard when they pass (the 10 year old is my family dog, so I''ve been around her since I was 13), but I''m also in the camp that gets a puppy/kitten while the older animal is still around. I think it actually improves their quality of life, and keeps them feeling young and active longer if they''ve got a younger buddy. Plus it makes training the younger one a little easier if they''re learning the ropes from an older animal.

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
I have a 4.5 yr old pug and a 2 year old German Shepherd. We have had both since they were puppies. Both FI and I get teary-eyed when we think about our lives without them. We just try to give them the most comfortable, enjoyable life they can possibly have and try not to think about the inevitable.

My kitties are turning 4 this year (april & july) and I think about this way more than I should.

They are my BABIES and I really don''t want to think what it would be like without having moo-cow (R) doing his stretches on things, eating treat bags open, his bird-like chirping, and how he waddles when he runs now. The other, who isn''t named Baby but we call him that because that''s exactly what he is.. a huge baby. He does this thing that we call "Mama-Locator"- he does the most pathetic meow all over the house until he finds me... kinda like Marco Polo, and if I don''t answer before he finds me, he meows up a storm. I imagine him saying stuff like, "Omg mom I was trying to find you and I couldn''t and I was lost in the house and where WERE YOU. Pet me now!" He is such a cute guy.

It''s these things that make me think about how much I''ll miss them. They have such large personalities and I''m with them more hours of the day than not. When we go camping on on vacations I miss them sooooo much... I can''t imagine a lifetime. Same for humans, but that''s another thread.

You are not alone- at all.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I have been thinking about it more often.

Byron is our first newf. He's the all-black one in my avatar. I know with every thread of my being that we will never have another dog like him and I am genuinely cherishing every second I have with him. Every dog owner thinks his/her dog is THE BEST (hey, we're biased), but I know that we have a very special dog in Byron. He is the kind of dog who knows exactly what you are thinking and does what you want before you have to ask. He is getting older and knowing that there will be a day we need to part kills me a little. I cry when I think about it and D and I have agreed to go through counseling when that time comes because we know we will be overwhelmed with grief.

Just this month we found out that Byron has lost vision in his right eye and even that has been overwhelming for me. I know that grief is part of loving a pet whole-heartedly, but I know that I will be absolutely inconsolable when that time comes. We do have a second dog who I absolutely love and adore, but he's not like my Byron. Again, I know that when Byron goes, we will never find another that will be like him. I thank my lucky stars every day that we got him, he is my best boy.

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
I am going through that right now. Miss Mina, the subject of my avatar, passed away December 18th at tthe age of 12. My DS is taking it very hard. She practically lived in his lap. My coping mechanism is to try not to think about her. We will be getting a kiten in April. Hopefully he will be as much of a delight as she was.
My mom stopped getting pets when she was 70 because she was afraid the pets would outlive her.
That was 20 years ago. All this time she could have had a furry companion.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We lost our big guy on Oct. 31st last year. It was gut wrenching, but now we remember him often with love. We still miss him, but I think having other dogs has helped. We've always had at least 2 dogs at a time, at least 2 years apart in age. This has helped greatly. Currently the oldest is 11 and the youngest is 1 (kids are 19 and 22). I need to have a companion dog, it's just a part of life for me. My husband says he'd be fine without one (allergies). I say never! Our kids have lived through losing 3 dogs so far and they were/are fine since like I said we've always had 2-3 dogs at a time. This softened the blow I think, but of course it's not for everyone.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think about it too, but I try very hard not to.

We lost our Great Dane last April. He was eight years old, which is pretty good for a Dane. We knew it was coming, but I was absolutely heartbroken when he passed away. I was a complete wreck. Even though it''s been almost a year now, I still think about him every day, and I miss him so much. There will never be another Caesar.

After Caesar passed, we still had our other two dogs, and I think they really helped DH and I get through it. Also, we did get a puppy back in September, so that would have been a little over four months after we lost Caesar. For us, that was just the right time . . . I don''t think I could have done it any earlier, but I definitely think getting a puppy has helped a little with our grief.

To us, our pets are our children. But unlike human children, they won''t outlive us. I guess that''s the curse that animal lovers have to live with, and we just have to make the most of whatever time we have with them.
15.gif

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
I definitely think about this quite a bit. I had to have a pet put down a few years ago, for the very first time. He was a very special cat, and he went much too soon (he was only two). The moment I picked him up from the airport as a kitten, we had a very immediate bond. He spent the first night in my home curled up right by my ear, purring. I was inconsolable when he passed. It took me a really long time to think back on his life with any type of joy, and I think this was only because I adopted a puppy.

My other cat is now coming up on eight, and we have a 1.5-year-old dog. I don''t have the same intense bond with either of them, but they are a big part of the reason I look forward to going home every day after work. It will be hard when the time comes, but barring disaster, they''ve both got quite a few years left.
5.gif

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
This is such a hard topic, but one I have a lot of experience with. After my childhood dog died when I was 21(we had gotten him when i was 5) I adopted a 15 year old dog. I still stand behind my statement to this day that she was my soul mate, she lived to 2q1 years old herself, I had to put her down. I knew it was the right thing to do, she was no longer eating and had an irrepairable broken shoulder so she could no longer walk. I battled pancreatic cancer (she had it) when I first got her and she went into remission after chemo and I can never replace her. I mourned her loss more than most family members who have died. It still beings a tear to my eye 5 years later when I think of her, but in a good way.

Then a short while later came Gizmo, 12 years old...and a real four letter word of a dog. She weighed 5lbs and tortured our 50lb chow/shepherd mix who she attacked on a semi regular basis. She as well had to be put down very shortly after I got her as she drug her back legs and I was told she has a very very painful spinal condition in which her vertebre were exposed through her spinal colum. I mourned her for only a short time. I really had not had her long and she wasn't exactly a pleasure to be around, though I did love her in her special way.

Then I started working with a rescue and with my soft spot for old dogs I took on a 13 year old named Calu. My parents ended up taking her when they watched her for me while I was on vacation and she and my retired dad became fast buddies. She still keeps him good company in their recliner.

So, while working on a puppy mill bust with the rescue I work for I came across Petey. He was hiding in between the basin of the tub and the shower curtain liner. At only 3 years old Pete came home with me that day and is absolutely my heart and soul. I can't call him my soul mate like Tasha, he is more like my child. He is now almost 7 and though I feel we have a while to go together I do think about him dying on occasion and it kills me. He is such a part of who I am. I don't think I will get another dog before he dies, but I may as our chow/lab mix is 9 now and I doubt with him being a bigger dog that he will live as long as Pete. It's so sad.
39.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think about it too. We have two cats, one''s 3.5 and the other one''s almost 4. I hope they''re a long way from the inevitable happening, but it does cross my mind from time to time.

CasaBlanca

Shiny_Rock
You know if you apply glass half full logic here...Which we have learned we have too...it makes it joyous.

We think of the lifespan of ours as an opportunity to live and experience TODAY for what it is. You get to cram a whole life into a condensed period of time. NOW. Which means, you never take anything for granted.

Never loose the opportunity to pet, caress, love or talk to them. Provide the best food, best medical care, softest beds, freshest water daily...be the best pet steward you are able to be! And then stretch yourself a little more!

You just do EVERYTHING in your power to do EVERYTHING NOW so there will be no regrets. I encourage you to take that energy you are spending thinking about it...and apply a positive spin to it in say, an extra walk, searching for peemail or more time caressing, grooming or training...and just add something extra to your routine to share.

Live it to the fullest, now. Embrace today.

Well, that is how I deal with it.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too think it's very common and normal to worry about that sometimes - like when you were a child, and you cried yourself to sleep wondering what would happen if your parents weren't there anymore.

We have three cats, on the EC I have a dog and another cat. Last year our boy became very, very ill. The vet diagnosed him as a lost cause, but gave him meds for liver failure anyway, and through some miracle he's on my lap right now, happy and completely healthy. I do wonder what would have happened had we not taken him to that vet right that day, had we lost him.. he gets lots of extra cuddles on those days, though I don't think he appreciates them! I find that I monitor them much more closely now - we have weight charts for all three, and we're constantly on the watch for eating/drinking/behavioural changes. I also worry far more than necessary when one of them gets hurt or sick or loses weight
40.gif
I guess that's part of loving them.

FI's dog is older, and her health is failing. I worry that he's going to hear bad news much too soon
7.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh gosh we as a family think about this a lot. Casper is going to be 16. He's in great health ( now knocking on wood... ) But we know it's coming ... We try not to think about it, but them again it's kinda her, kinda now. Not like right now but sooner than later.

I spend tons of time with both doggies. I don't travel as much , hate leaving them. And really hate leaving Casper because he lives for me. He hates when I leave. The other dog, Callie is not the smartest tool in the shed, so she doesn't mind as much.

Casper is smart as all get out. I have to spell words around him because his vocabulary is very broad.

I say what you are feeling is normal. Enjoy your dog, you have a lot of time and memories head. Try not to worry about it.

I started worrying once Casper couldn't jump on my bed. Then I saw he wasn't hearing me, he's pretty deaf now. And his vision is P for Poor.

He's been with my family for a loooong time. He's our heart.

When he dies the pain and grief we will feel will be so hard.

This dog, is just very special, and he's a riot.

He's my scooch... Because he scooches up next to me every night in bed.

I can't imagine the empty spot next to me once he passes.

BUT I am not thinking about that today. Instead, I am trying to enjoy what he is right now. And right now, he's by my chair putting his paw on my leg saying get off PS!!!!
12.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 9:54:30 AM
Author: DivaDiamond007
Losing my pets is something that I think about too. My parents have the dog I got when I graduated from highschool and she''ll be 10 this year and isn''t exactly a spring chicken anymore. I worry all the time that my parents will just find her dead and I will not have had the chance to say goodbye to her. I''ve had her for so long it would be strange to go over to visit my parents and not have her there.

I try not to dwell on it because I know that it will eventually happen. I know that she''s had a good life and that she''s very loved even though she''s stinky and still chases her tail like a madwoman
3.gif

This is actually making me tear up right now. Our family dog that we got when I was in 6th grade died this past fall - one week before I came home for Thanksgiving. I hadn''t been home since the previous Christmas and didn''t get a chance to say good-bye to him. We had him for 13 years.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used to think about it a lot before we had our son. Now I think about it with him instead when I am having a little morbid fantasy time.

wsu12

Brilliant_Rock
I think about this as well. My husband bought our Boston Terrier as a gift for me when I had suffered a loss 3.5 years ago. He was 6 weeks when we got him (due to an irresponsible breeder). He is our life, we feel that he made us a family. I am proud to say that he has taught me so much about love. There are no words in any language to articulate how I feel about him. Without question I will be destroyed when he passes, I can only hope that it is a long time from now and he is without pain.

His joy has invaded my heart and changed me...for the better. Because of him my husband and I got involved with rescue and have spent almost 2 years helping work BT rescue events, perform rescue home checks, transport and foster dogs that were not as lucky as my baby.

When discussing this very topic with my husband a few weeks back, I said this "I wish Bowden could live forever with us, it makes me so sad"... I thought my husband said something really touching in return, "Bowden lives in the present, his is 100% in the ''now'' with us all the time, he gets out of life in 10 or 12 years what it takes us humans 70 or 80".

Wonderful topic, I love to read about our love for pets. There are some very beautiful souls on this board.
1.gif

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve lost two of the cats I''ve had as an adult, and numbers 3 and 4 are living with me now. Squeaky, "number 3," is now 19 years old. I love my cats pretty fiercely -- even the cantankerous one(s) -- and I really felt the loss of the first two when they dies (one untimely at 11 years old, the other at 21 years old). Still, I think I can honestly say that I don''t start to think a lot about the fact that I will outlive my dear friends until they start to show signs of getting pretty darn old. I know or assume that''s what will happen, of course, but it really isn''t worth my while to project to that day or dwell on it. I try to give them a quality life while they''re with me and I grieve when they leave me, but I don''t anticipate that day when they''re young and in good health. I suspect it would be more of an issue if an SO or child was involved -- I''d be more concerned about how they might be hurt by the death of a pet than I am for myself.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Bonnie and Clyde, our mini dachshund brother and sister, will turn 11 years old on July 16. We chose them at 4 weeks and brought them home at 8 weeks. They are SO precious and special to DH and me. They are our family as we have no children. Our vet says they cannot be separated or one would probably die of a broken heart. I believe this to be true since they have spent their entire lives together. They sleep in the same bed and Clyde covers them up with their blankets when they go to sleep. It is SO cute to watch him do this.

Coco, our shelter kitty, just turned 6 on February 26. We adopted her from the Houston SPCA on February 26, 2008 and we are using that day as her birthday since we do not know her history. They estimated that she was 4 years old at that time.

Each of our furbabies have special needs and are on prescription foods/medications. Coco was born with her disability. Bonnie and Clyde are aging and have developed their illnesses.

I can''t imagine life without my babies and try not to think about it. We take the best care possible and love them constantly.

Lori

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think about it a lot too-Amber is going to be 13 in April and I hate that she''s getting older. I''ve cried a couple of times over the thoughts of losing her. She''s had two lumps removed in the past four months and luckily she''s recovered perfectly but I''m so paranoid about finding more lumps. I just dread the day that she''s not here beside me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results