shape
carat
color
clarity

Radiants Hard to Find?

Faluzure

Rough_Rock
Hello, just registered but have been lurking around for a while.

I''ve decided that it is time to start looking for a ring for my girl. Over the past few months, I''ve been trying to get a taste of what kind of ring/diamond she likes. Although the ring issue is a bigger problem (she likes one style for a month, then decides on a different one), I''m trying to figure out the diamond.

The last few weeks, she finally decided that her favorite cut is the Radiant (she used to like the Cushion). We went to a local jeweler that had a particular ring she liked and I wanted to see it in person. In that setting, there was a 2.22 carat Radiant diamond w/ D/E color & I1 clarity. They wanted to charge 8000$ for that diamond alone and I knew instantly that I could get a better deal elsewhere. The diamond was horrible looking.

Doing some research, I finally decided that a G color with SI1/2 clarity would be the starting point for my characteristics.

Anyway, long story short.... are radiant diamonds rare?

I used the Pricescope Diamond Prices tool with the following criteria:
Radiant, E-H color range, .9 - 2.5 carat, SI1 - SI3 clarity, default table, default depth, GIA/AGS certified.

I get only 3 listings for diamonds that match that criteria. However, selecting virtual gives me dozens of diamonds.

Even going to any of the chain/local jewelry diamond search tools brings up nothing with those specifications and I selected a broad spectrum just to see what I would find. Any ideas?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/16/2010 11:27:37 AM
Author:Faluzure
Hello, just registered but have been lurking around for a while.

I've decided that it is time to start looking for a ring for my girl. Over the past few months, I've been trying to get a taste of what kind of ring/diamond she likes. Although the ring issue is a bigger problem (she likes one style for a month, then decides on a different one), I'm trying to figure out the diamond.

The last few weeks, she finally decided that her favorite cut is the Radiant (she used to like the Cushion). We went to a local jeweler that had a particular ring she liked and I wanted to see it in person. In that setting, there was a 2.22 carat Radiant diamond w/ D/E color & I1 clarity. They wanted to charge 8000$ for that diamond alone and I knew instantly that I could get a better deal elsewhere. The diamond was horrible looking.

Doing some research, I finally decided that a G color with SI1/2 clarity would be the starting point for my characteristics.

Anyway, long story short.... are radiant diamonds rare?

I used the Pricescope Diamond Prices tool with the following criteria:
Radiant, E-H color range, .9 - 2.5 carat, SI1 - SI3 clarity, default table, default depth, GIA/AGS certified.

I get only 3 listings for diamonds that match that criteria. However, selecting virtual gives me dozens of diamonds.

Even going to any of the chain/local jewelry diamond search tools brings up nothing with those specifications and I selected a broad spectrum just to see what I would find. Any ideas?
Hi Faluzure and welcome,

Radiants aren't rare as such, but well cut radiants can take a bit of work to find, incidentally SI3 is an EGL invented and used grade so I would personally stick to GIA graded diamonds if possible.

Radiants can show more colour than some other shapes so I would make H colour ( GIA) your cutoff initially. Clarity you could certainly consider SI if verified eyeclean by a trusted vendor.

The best way to find a nice radiant, particularly if you are concerned with finding a well cut stone is to work with a vendor that has in house stones or can call some in for evaluation. Images such as ASET and detailed photos are essential to help one make an informed choice.

Are you open to buying online? If so, give us an idea of your budget and other requirements and we might be able to suggest some suitable diamonds or vendors you could contact such as the ones listed below.

www.whiteflash.com

www.goodoldgold.com

www.jamesallen.com

www.engagementringsdirect.com

www.idjewelryonline.com

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Faluzure,
AS Lorelei mentioned, nice Radiant cuts can be a bit harder to find. My experience is that less stores carry Radiant cuts- especially compared to round diamonds.

Just fro your description ( D/E I1) I can understand why you did not like the stone.

Is your girl especially color sensitive?
If you open up your search down to J color, you''ll have much larger selection.
If you can see some legitimate ( GIA graded ) I-J color diamonds in person, you may find yo like the look.

Personally I don;t find ASET nearly as useful as detailed photos- video is also a great way to look at stones.

Faluzure

Rough_Rock
Lorelei: Thanks for the welcome. Particularly, I checked Whiteflash, Good Old Gold, & James Allen so far & came up with 0 search results on their respective web pages. I have yet to try all the other recommended ones listed in Pricescope''s preferred dealers. I''m assuming that if Pricescope''s Diamond Price search tool is going to come up with 0 results in-house, I should expect the same results, but I''ll try again anyway. I am purchasing the diamond online and possibly the band. I feel that the only reason to go to brick & mortar stores is to do homework and see what a diamond with particular characteristics look like in person. I just have to find a dealer that has the diamond I''m looking for. As for budget, I''m considering the range of $7000 to $8500. But considering what I''m looking for, it may not be available at that price and I may have to increase that budget.

Rockdiamond: I wish she would have chosen a round because it would make my life a whole lot easier. :) Her sister got an engagement ring with a pretty big round rock, but it was just a solitaire on a plain band. Something she feels that everyone already has. I''m aware that rounds are more common, but she wants something that is unique to her (which is the case for most women out there).

She prefers color over clarity, but I try to get a balance of both. When she first saw that D/E I1 radiant diamond, she really liked it because it was "white/clear". However when I looked at it, I cringed a bit because inclusions were awful. When I looked at the diamond (in the ring) on the side, it almost looked like it was "cracking". The reason I wanted a G is because I personally feel that G is about the limit before you can tell the "yellowing" starts to occur. I am open to dropping the color down a bit, I''m just afraid the yellowing becomes more apparent when you deal with radiant shapes on a white gold setting.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2010 2:47:36 PM
Author: Faluzure
Lorelei: Thanks for the welcome. Particularly, I checked Whiteflash, Good Old Gold, & James Allen so far & came up with 0 search results on their respective web pages. I have yet to try all the other recommended ones listed in Pricescope's preferred dealers. I'm assuming that if Pricescope's Diamond Price search tool is going to come up with 0 results in-house, I should expect the same results, but I'll try again anyway. I am purchasing the diamond online and possibly the band. I feel that the only reason to go to brick & mortar stores is to do homework and see what a diamond with particular characteristics look like in person. I just have to find a dealer that has the diamond I'm looking for. As for budget, I'm considering the range of $7000 to $8500. But considering what I'm looking for, it may not be available at that price and I may have to increase that budget.

Rockdiamond: I wish she would have chosen a round because it would make my life a whole lot easier. :) Her sister got an engagement ring with a pretty big round rock, but it was just a solitaire on a plain band. Something she feels that everyone already has. I'm aware that rounds are more common, but she wants something that is unique to her (which is the case for most women out there).

She prefers color over clarity, but I try to get a balance of both. When she first saw that D/E I1 radiant diamond, she really liked it because it was 'white/clear'. However when I looked at it, I cringed a bit because inclusions were awful. When I looked at the diamond (in the ring) on the side, it almost looked like it was 'cracking'. The reason I wanted a G is because I personally feel that G is about the limit before you can tell the 'yellowing' starts to occur. I am open to dropping the color down a bit, I'm just afraid the yellowing becomes more apparent when you deal with radiant shapes on a white gold setting.
Some very nice square radiants here http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamondResults.php?shape=2048&resultsColumns=274694159.
But why do you/she want a radiant?

Cut corners?
Flat Edges?
Small "crushed ice" Flashes?

Describe the appearance you like most perhaps another shape like a cushion might fit her preferences, they can look quite similar save for flat versus rounded corners.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Picture.

cushionversusradiant.jpg

Faluzure

Rough_Rock
ChunkyCushionLover: I am only selecting the diamond that she wants. From what I understand, she wants the Radiant because it appears more "antique" than other styles but still "sparkles" (as compared to an Emerald, which is also "antique").

I showed her some cushion diamond since those two are somewhat similar and she chose the radiant with the cut corners. She prefers the cut corners over the rounded ones of the cushion.

Furthermore, I've read on the forum that radiants are somewhat more common than cushion... in addition to that there are various styles of cushion available (such as the traditional to the modern). If need be, I can go for a cushion and she probably wouldn't know the difference. The problem is that even searching for a cushion style using the search tool with similar criteria brings up no results either. Only a few select vendors list various cushion styles on their website, such as the one you got from Good Old Gold. Others just lump all cushions into the category of "Cushion".

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2010 4:59:23 PM
ChunkyCushionLover: I am only selecting the diamond that she wants. From what I understand, she wants the Radiant because it appears more 'antique' than other styles but still 'sparkles' (as compared to an Emerald, which is also 'antique').

Nothing antique about a radiant the first one was patented in 1977 so its a relatively new cut.

I showed her some cushion diamond since those two are somewhat similar and she chose the radiant with the cut corners. She prefers the cut corners over the rounded ones of the cushion.

Furthermore, I've read on the forum that radiants are somewhat more common than cushion...

Not at all its much easier to find a cushion than a radiant. Radiants are more common in the colored gem market as they help cutter retain weight and color. These two qualities lead to designs that have inferior white light return and thus the radiant is not a popular cut for colorless diamonds where white light return is more important.

in addition to that there are various styles of cushion available (such as the traditional to the modern). If need be, I can go for a cushion and she probably wouldn't know the difference.

The corners would be different at the very least, cushions also have rounded edges although the modern ones are less rounded than the vintage 'antique' cuts. If you want to keep the shape as close to a radiant as possible you could choose a modern cushion brilliant like the 4 main shown above.

The problem is that even searching for a cushion style using the search tool with similar criteria brings up no results either. Only a few select vendors list various cushion styles on their website, such as the one you got from Good Old Gold. Others just lump all cushions into the category of 'Cushion'.

The in house tool on pricescope does not have most diamonds listed on it you have to go to the vendors websites themselves. Further, it will be impossible to find a well cut GIA certified diamond 2 carats for anywhere close to $8000. They are usually twice the price or more in the color range you are looking for.

The closest I could suggest would be:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6259/ (check if its eye clean with GOG as its an SI2 they will be honest with you)
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3459/ (perhaps more than you wanted to spend but the looks closest to a radiant of all the cushion cuts)

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4366/ (This is close to your preferences and is a square radiant, but you should notice it faces up smaller than the two cushions even though it has a greater carat weight)

Faluzure

Rough_Rock
ChunkyCushionLover: Thank you do very much for your clarifications. Obviously I''m no expert and responses like these help uneducated people like me make better decisions. I was unaware of the qualities of a radiant style when used in colorless gems and will now lean towards the modern cushion.

I really do like the links you posted and will use these as a basis for choosing my diamond. As I said before, my girlfriend won''t know the difference from a modern cushion to a radiant... now to find that ring she loves.

The pricing for the latter links are a little higher than I wanted (obviously due to the quality) and that leaves me no room for a ring. So I''m assuming if I want those characteristics, ill have to lower my carat . I want to stay in the SI2/1 & G range though.

Again, I appreciate the help.

Faluzure

Rough_Rock
ChunkyCushionLover: Also, I noticed GOG''s website has a ton of diamonds in different styles that look like the cushion. I''ve never heard of some of them and am wondering how they differ from the modern cushion. For example, "Square Cushion H&A", Jubilee, Cut Corner Square Brilliant, & and Princess of Hearts look really similar. What style did you search for the modern cushion?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/16/2010 7:09:57 PM
I was unaware of the qualities of a radiant style when used in colorless gems and will now lean towards the modern cushion.
Just make sure your GF would be ok with you getting a different type of diamond as she has viewed both and expressed a preference for a radiant....

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/17/2010 5:19:55 AM
Author: Lorelei

I was unaware of the qualities of a radiant style when used in colorless gems and will now lean towards the modern cushion.
Just make sure your GF would be ok with you getting a different type of diamond as she has viewed both and expressed a preference for a radiant....
+1 While cushions are really nice stones, they aren''t quite the same as a radiant. So please do make sure she sees the modern cushions before you purchase.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
ChunkyCushionLover: Thank you do very much for your clarifications. Obviously I''m no expert and responses like these help uneducated people like me make better decisions. I was unaware of the qualities of a radiant style when used in colorless gems and will now lean towards the modern cushion.

I really do like the links you posted and will use these as a basis for choosing my diamond. As I said before, my girlfriend won''t know the difference from a modern cushion to a radiant... now to find that ring she loves.

The pricing for the latter links are a little higher than I wanted (obviously due to the quality) and that leaves me no room for a ring. So I''m assuming if I want those characteristics, ill have to lower my carat . I want to stay in the SI2/1 & G range though.

Again, I appreciate the help.
Given that the G SI2 is http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6259/ so close to your preferences you may want to have Jon at GOG call in a radiant within your budget and specs alongside this one for a video comparison.
Good-Luck,

CCL

Faluzure

Rough_Rock
Lorelei & clgwli: Now I''m in a bind. My girlfriend never really knew what kind of diamond she wanted until recently. The first time she ever saw a cushion cut diamond, it was at one of those mall jewelers that had one on display. However, they were advertising it as a special cushion cut called Radiant Star or something with more facets. Now while the diamond was more "flashy" (maybe wrong term) because of the additional facets, I know from reading this forum that they do it to cover up the flaws in the diamond. It was a bad diamond anyway.

So then we went to a local B&M jeweler and she saw the radiant cut diamond in a ring she liked. When compared to the cushion (I guess a standard cushion), she preferred the radiant. The only reason I changed my mind from ChunkyCushionLover''s comment: Not at all its much easier to find a cushion than a radiant. Radiants are more common in the colored gem market as they help cutter retain weight and color. These two qualities lead to designs that have inferior white light return and thus the radiant is not a popular cut for colorless diamonds where white light return is more important.

Knowing this, I feel that she would like the cushion (a modern one like ChunkyCushionLover gave examples of). I just know that she likes the "old timey" look of the radiant/cushion (she thinks the round/princess is too common and the emerald as too old) & still flashy. To me, both the radiant and cushion can fit that quality. However, GOG''s website has many other similar cuts to choose from, such as the Square Cushion H&A, Jubilee, Cut Corner Square Brilliant, & and Princess of Hearts. I have yet to see the videos describing each, but from the top down, they all look similar.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/19/2010 11:08:40 AM
Lorelei & clgwli: Now I'm in a bind. My girlfriend never really knew what kind of diamond she wanted until recently. The first time she ever saw a cushion cut diamond, it was at one of those mall jewelers that had one on display. However, they were advertising it as a special cushion cut called Radiant Star or something with more facets. Now while the diamond was more 'flashy' (maybe wrong term) because of the additional facets, I know from reading this forum that they do it to cover up the flaws in the diamond. It was a bad diamond anyway.

So then we went to a local B&M jeweler and she saw the radiant cut diamond in a ring she liked. When compared to the cushion (I guess a standard cushion), she preferred the radiant.
Then I would be careful in deviating from a radiant as she has expressed that is what she wants - unless you can show her some of the other shapes either in a store or video and see what she says then that she actually prefers something else. If I was asked what shape I wanted and I said a radiant, I wouldn't want my fiancee to get something else.

Faluzure

Rough_Rock
I really would like to use GOG or Whiteflash because I''ve seen the majority of folks on the forum (lately) recommend them and I''m fairly sure I''ll be satisfied if they had a diamond for me to buy. However, using those 2 vendors brings up no results except for Whiteflash. With Whiteflash, the results show up only when I select Virtual listings.

With other vendors, some don''t even have Radiants listed as an available selection but James Allen & Since1910 have some. With those respective websites'' search function, there are some qualities that I''m unsure of. For example, this is what I''ve selected from James Allen:

F/G Color // SI1/SI2 Clarity // Excellent to Very Good Polish // Excellent to Very Good Symmetry // No Fluorescence // GIA Only

I found some nice diamonds, but some of them say "Premium" or "Ideal" cut. How much of a difference would one notice compared to a Premium cut to an Ideal cut in a radiant? Also, for Polish & Symmetry, what kind of differences would you notice if you were to step down from EX to VG?

Or should I not even deal with those vendors and only work with GOG?

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2010 5:56:05 PM
I really would like to use GOG or Whiteflash because I''ve seen the majority of folks on the forum (lately) recommend them and I''m fairly sure I''ll be satisfied if they had a diamond for me to buy. However, using those 2 vendors brings up no results except for Whiteflash. With Whiteflash, the results show up only when I select Virtual listings.

With other vendors, some don''t even have Radiants listed as an available selection but James Allen & Since1910 have some. With those respective websites'' search function, there are some qualities that I''m unsure of. For example, this is what I''ve selected from James Allen:

F/G Color // SI1/SI2 Clarity // Excellent to Very Good Polish // Excellent to Very Good Symmetry // No Fluorescence // GIA Only

I found some nice diamonds, but some of them say ''Premium'' or ''Ideal'' cut. How much of a difference would one notice compared to a Premium cut to an Ideal cut in a radiant? Also, for Polish & Symmetry, what kind of differences would you notice if you were to step down from EX to VG?

Or should I not even deal with those vendors and only work with GOG?
Cut grades from a vendor from virtual listings are meaningless they are based loosely on numerical proportions and have little correlation to real world performance. We prefer comparing ASET images to determine where a diamond is receiving its lighting and therefore the intensity of its light return. JamesAllen and Whiteflash would have to call in the stones, take a look at them and then send you an ASET image and/or have their gemologist look at them.

I am pretty sure whiteflash and goodoldgold would charge you shipping to call in virtual stones they don''t have in inventory but you would have to ask them. The problem is that you will be searching for a needle in a haystack. Its not hard to find a radiant cut diamond but to find one up to the cut standards of the stones I linked to you on the GOG website particularly that G SI2 cushion will be unlikely.

If however you know you want a radiant, are a little more relaxed on the quality of its light return but want certain color and size requirements asking WF or JA to call in stones may be fine, just be prepared for them to ask you to pay shipping on the stones but this is included in the price of the diamond if you decide to purchase from them. You may find a decent diamond (not top performer) this way, and the standard is all relative to the outline shape you are choosing.

If you like post the ASET images of whatever you get called in and we can tell you how they rate compared to other stones we have seen. If at Whiteflash I''d ask to speak to Bob Hoskins and see what he says about potential Radiants. I would also reccomend speaking to Jon at GOG he might just have an inside track to other Radiants or Cut Cornered Square Brilliants cut for light performance in your spec range and is the most selective vendor on cut performance that I know.

Good-Luck
CCL

Faluzure

Rough_Rock
ChunkyCushionLover: Thanks for the expert response (as usual)! I''m going to go ahead and assume that not all vendors are able to supply an ASET image just by the sheer volume of other users asking this forum on their opinion of text description diamonds.

In your opinion (based on what you know and the popularity of others), what other vendors besides GOG, Whiteflash, and JA would you recommend me take a look at? A good chunk of the diamond vendors in the Pricescope Resources listings don''t even have the ability to find Radiants... let alone provide an ASET image.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I got two questions for you before I make my recommendations.

1. What is your budget for the stone? What the setting?
2. Is her preference for a square or rectangular stone? If rectangular - what is the length to width ratio that you are looking for?

Based on your descriptions, it doesn't sound like she wants an antique stone. I typically associate antique stones with braoder flashes. She sounds like she wants a modern stone but just not a round. She doesn't like the emerald cuts which has a very distinct look. I would bet she saw a modified cushion in real life that looked like crush ice - not many people like them. Cushions range so greatly in looks - the people here who love cushions have seen and owned the nice ones ... you won't know a nice cushion until you see one.

I suggest that you check out the Octavias too!

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2010 11:00:15 PM
ChunkyCushionLover: Thanks for the expert response (as usual)! I''m going to go ahead and assume that not all vendors are able to supply an ASET image just by the sheer volume of other users asking this forum on their opinion of text description diamonds.

In your opinion (based on what you know and the popularity of others), what other vendors besides GOG, Whiteflash, and JA would you recommend me take a look at? A good chunk of the diamond vendors in the Pricescope Resources listings don''t even have the ability to find Radiants... let alone provide an ASET image.
If you can''t find it with those three and I don''t mean just checking their websites I mean actually calling to speak to their resident expert (like Jon at GOG and Bob at Whiteflash) than we really got to nail down your specs first.

First I''d say take a look at these two videos:

Tell me of the 4 radiants which one suits you best? http://www.vimeo.com/6421361
Then you still sure you find a radiant the best square shape for you take a look at this video http://www.vimeo.com/8766653.

Once you tell me your preferences I can possibly point you in the right direction.

Faluzure

Rough_Rock
CharmyPoo:
1. My budget for the ring overall is $8,000 (give or take $1K). I know that what I''m requesting based on my threads seems ambitious, but I''m confident I can eventually find a diamond that meets my budget.
2. I personally asked her the ratio preference last night & she said "I don''t know... depends on the ring". I know that doesn''t tell you anything... it doesn''t help me either!!! The other thread that I responded to with a link to the Adiamor ring is rectangular. However, the Simon G ring she originally wanted at the local B&M store had a square radiant. So I know just as much as you do.

She specifically stated that she didn''t want a round (too common), not a princess (my sister-in-law has one & her comment is that it''s ugly). She likes the square-ish shapes, but not rounded corners. I said in another thread that I could get her a cushion and she wouldn''t know the difference but a few people suggested against that. At the local B&M store, she was shown a cushion & radiant with similar color/clarity specs and she chose the radiant. I know that cushions vary widely... that''s what makes it frustrating.

It''s hard to describe to her the details about a diamond without actually seeing one. But she doesn''t want to look at them in person. I might have to resort to videos, which I wanted her to look at but she was "too busy".
7.gif
It''s difficult...

I did get her to look at the categories of diamonds from GOG''s Diamond Search tool. She liked the Square Cushion H&A, Cut Corner Brilliant, and Radiant. She didn''t like any of the others.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ChunkyCushionLover: I plan on calling GOG, but thanks for suggesting someone to talk to at Whiteflash. Also, thanks a TON for the videos. I am going to show my girlfriend that video. Since she''s relunctant to go diamond shopping, I will force her to watch those videos.

I''ll reply in a few days with her responses... I''m on travel for work for the next 2 days.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
You know what it sounds like - you are asking her to pick and she doesn't really care. She just doesn't want something that her family/friends have. I am glad you are trying to choose wisely. Your gf actually sounds like my fiance - yes, no, yes, no, no, no but he doesn't actually think about it. After I describe the differences, he would be like .. oh ok .. then that one. LOL.

Anyways, I thought about your situation a little bit and concluded that it really doesn't matter what you buy because she will love it. Doesn't matter as in ... as long as it is not a round, princess, or emerald (and probably, pear, marquis, heart).

I think a sweet spot for you will be G SI1. You can probably get approximately a 1 ct.

I would love to see you get a Jubilee. I think they are so beautiful and always wanted one myself. However, they are branded and are more costly. Below is a 1.01 G SI1 priced at $6,344. That should leave you enough for the setting. You might be able to find a better cut one but I think this is a great option given a balance of your budget and quality.
Jubilee: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7135/

I am also a huge cushion fan but I like the antique look which means chunky flashes like the one below. The August Vintage below is really well cut and an excellent option. If she wants cut corners, the cushion should really be completely out of the picture but in case it isn't .. the one below is a beauty!
August Vintage: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6463/

Sorry, I just can't bring myself to recommend a radiant. I find them really ugly.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2010 12:09:01 AM
CharmyPoo:
1. My budget for the ring overall is $8,000 (give or take $1K). I know that what I'm requesting based on my threads seems ambitious, but I'm confident I can eventually find a diamond that meets my budget.
2. I personally asked her the ratio preference last night & she said 'I don't know... depends on the ring'. I know that doesn't tell you anything... it doesn't help me either!!! The other thread that I responded to with a link to the Adiamor ring is rectangular. However, the Simon G ring she originally wanted at the local B&M store had a square radiant. So I know just as much as you do.

She specifically stated that she didn't want a round (too common), not a princess (my sister-in-law has one & her comment is that it's ugly). She likes the square-ish shapes, but not rounded corners. I said in another thread that I could get her a cushion and she wouldn't know the difference but a few people suggested against that. At the local B&M store, she was shown a cushion & radiant with similar color/clarity specs and she chose the radiant. I know that cushions vary widely... that's what makes it frustrating.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Then don't get her a traditional cushion as they have rounded corners and your GF has specifically said that she does not like rounded corners. I would stick to those shapes with clipped corners or distinct corners and choose within those.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE LOVE LOVE that Jubilee

Faluzure

Rough_Rock
I''m going by memory here... but ChunkyCushionLover provided great videos. The first video he linked me, http://www.vimeo.com/6421361, displayed 4 very different radiants diamonds. So different in fact, I didn''t even know they could be that different.

CharmyPoo: The 1st diamond in that video is very different. I think it almost looks like a cushion (to me). The 2nd diamond looks to me like a princess cut. The last 2 (to me) look like your normal radiant. Would you agree to what I said? What is it about the radiant do you think is ugly? Just trying to get a grasp of the differences, especially when I thought the 1st radiant in the video looked like a cushion.

Also, I looked at the Jubilee and think that looks nice as well. From what I''ve read, it''s a modified square brilliant cut, right? But then you have the princess of hearts, which is also kind of similar... but so is the cut corner square brilliant. But then when you compare the cut corner square brilliant (which I thought was a radiant) to the radiant itself, they look different on GOG''s website. So now I''m really confused...

Lorelei: Right.. but the only place that shows differences is Good Old Gold. Whiteflash just categorizes it as "Cushion", so I don''t know if I''m going to be getting a modern or traditional cushion unless I look at each individual diamond. I''m just wondering if there''s a better/easier way.

I thought I had the shapes down pat, but then Good Old Gold messed me up again.... like Calculus back in College.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2010 11:45:13 AM
I'm going by memory here... but ChunkyCushionLover provided great videos. The first video he linked me, http://www.vimeo.com/6421361, displayed 4 very different radiants diamonds. So different in fact, I didn't even know they could be that different.

CharmyPoo: The 1st diamond in that video is very different. I think it almost looks like a cushion (to me). The 2nd diamond looks to me like a princess cut. The last 2 (to me) look like your normal radiant. Would you agree to what I said? What is it about the radiant do you think is ugly? Just trying to get a grasp of the differences, especially when I thought the 1st radiant in the video looked like a cushion.

Also, I looked at the Jubilee and think that looks nice as well. From what I've read, it's a modified square brilliant cut, right? But then you have the princess of hearts, which is also kind of similar... but so is the cut corner square brilliant. But then when you compare the cut corner square brilliant (which I thought was a radiant) to the radiant itself, they look different on GOG's website. So now I'm really confused...

Lorelei: Right.. but the only place that shows differences is Good Old Gold. Whiteflash just categorizes it as 'Cushion', so I don't know if I'm going to be getting a modern or traditional cushion unless I look at each individual diamond. I'm just wondering if there's a better/easier way.

I thought I had the shapes down pat, but then Good Old Gold messed me up again.... like Calculus back in College.
Have you changed your mind and now decided to buy a cushion? If so make absolutely sure your GF is ok with that especially as she has specifically said she does not like rounded corners, thats what you will get with the majority of cushions.

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/21/2010 11:47:52 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
I got two questions for you before I make my recommendations.

1. What is your budget for the stone? What the setting?
2. Is her preference for a square or rectangular stone? If rectangular - what is the length to width ratio that you are looking for?

Based on your descriptions, it doesn''t sound like she wants an antique stone. I typically associate antique stones with braoder flashes. She sounds like she wants a modern stone but just not a round. She doesn''t like the emerald cuts which has a very distinct look. I would bet she saw a modified cushion in real life that looked like crush ice - not many people like them. Cushions range so greatly in looks - the people here who love cushions have seen and owned the nice ones ... you won''t know a nice cushion until you see one.

I suggest that you check out the Octavias too!
+1 to all of this. I love antique stones for their borad flashes of light and they are not at all the same as a radiant. Now I actually love radiants in colored diamonds and would love a radiant there above all others.

That said I really suggest you take time looking at video on GOG and see what you find. The squared H&A stones are very pretty but they have more broad flashes than a radiant does and some cushions. Some cushions have broad but some have tiny flashes like a radiant.

Once you look, please show her the videos too to see if there is something she really likes more than others. While I love radiants, I am no fan at all of modern cushions and I cannot explain why. But I love the older chunkier cushions. So picking is tough and I wouldn''t want to make a mistake if she is willing to give her opinion.

I am nto saying you should make her pick the actual stone, but set aside some free time and just check out the tutorials on stones. Maybe she can fiigure out for herself what she likes. And if she doesn''t then we''ll be here to help guide
2.gif

Faluzure

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/23/2010 11:50:11 AM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 4/23/2010 11:45:13 AM

I''m going by memory here... but ChunkyCushionLover provided great videos. The first video he linked me, http://www.vimeo.com/6421361, displayed 4 very different radiants diamonds. So different in fact, I didn''t even know they could be that different.

Also, I looked at the Jubilee and think that looks nice as well. From what I''ve read, it''s a modified square brilliant cut, right? But then you have the princess of hearts, which is also kind of similar... but so is the cut corner square brilliant. But then when you compare the cut corner square brilliant (which I thought was a radiant) to the radiant itself, they look different on GOG''s website. So now I''m really confused...

Lorelei: Right.. but the only place that shows differences is Good Old Gold. Whiteflash just categorizes it as ''Cushion'', so I don''t know if I''m going to be getting a modern or traditional cushion unless I look at each individual diamond. I''m just wondering if there''s a better/easier way.

Have you changed your mind and now decided to buy a cushion? If so make absolutely sure your GF is ok with that especially as she has specifically said she does not like rounded corners, thats what you will get with the majority of cushions.

Lorelei & clgwli:No... not yet on deciding on the cushion. I am going to have the girlfriend look at the videos on GOG. I didn''t realize he moved them all to Vimeo.com and was wondering why none of the links worked. I know most cushions have rounded corners, but aren''t there those that have cut corners? Everyone talks about "broad flashes", but I''m not 100% sure what they mean by this. I''m assuming this is caused by the larger facets normally found on a cushion?

So aside from the shape, would it be safe to assume the following: "Old cushions have the largest facets. Modern Cushions have large facets. Radiants have smaller facets."

Also, isn''t the other name for radiant "cut corner modified brilliant"? So all the other ones that people have mentioned, such as the Jubilee & the Princess of Hearts diamond. Aren''t they more related to the radiant than a cushion would be?

Before the end of this weekend, I''m going to get my answer from her. Otherwise she''ll get a big ring called a Ring Pop instead.
3.gif

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
LOL, I had a ring pop a few years ago when I was being nostalgic. It was good
9.gif

The broad flashes are caused by what you said as the large facets. So when you are looking at a stone and see some light, how big is this flash of light? Radiants and Princess cuts to me are more about the pinfire and the old vintage cushions are more about broad flashes. That was very quick, but did that make sense?

To me the the Jubilee and Princess of Hearts are not at all like a radiant or a cushion. At least not to me. They look like a squared off round with the facet structure. They are not my favorite, but I do prefer them over rounds. If you look at still pictures you will see the arrows like in a round. To me a modern cushion is more like a rounded princess in feel to me. But it is hard to classify.

But good luck this weekend looking! I hope she can make up her mind. Even I have a hard time doing it myself
26.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results